jclalor

Gun suicides

the stopping of renting entirely is overkill. The common practice here is that you can only rent a gun if you bring a gun, or a companion.

If you have a gun, you already have the means to kill yourself. Hopefully you'll choose to do it at home, not be a dick as your last decision. So you're renting in order to try something out.

If you have a companion, as your article noted, you're not likely to do it.

The unfortunate consequence is that if you're looking for safe gun handling practice in advance of purchasing your first weapon, you're out of luck unless you bring a buddy.

jclalor

So the gun industry claims that a waiting period is unnecessary when it comes to purchasing a firearm. If your plan for the weapon is your own suicide, just kill yourself at home, don't do it at their place of business.

Interesting.

http://rt.com/usa/florida-suspends-gun-suicide-rentals-444/

I am member of Shoot Straight. They have had some unfortunate shootings on site.

Can you see this practice at an automobile dealership? Or a liquor store?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jclalor

So the gun industry claims that a waiting period is unnecessary when it comes to purchasing a firearm. If your plan for the weapon is your own suicide, just kill yourself at home, don't do it at their place of business.

Interesting.

http://rt.com/usa/florida-suspends-gun-suicide-rentals-444/

You don't have to go to the USA for this to be a problem, we recently had the same thing happen over here in the UK. A man in his 80's went into a gun shop and blew his brains all over the ceiling.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A few years back we also had a freaking first jump student take a set of scissors up on their first static line jump and cut their way out of their harness to fall to their death. If they're that determined they're going to find a way.

I agree with the decision by this private business to mitigate the possibility of future suicides, or worse (and possible exposure to legal troubles) by effecting a policy that directly addresses a specific problem. He has actually used empirical data and statistical analysis and plain old walking-around sense to arrive at a policy decision that will probably get the targeted results.

Now, ...if only TSA, DHS, Immigration, and other government "authorities" would use the same common sense approach with regard to the "war on terror", we might get the best bang for our (ostensibly) limited bucks.

RonD1120

Have you ever heard of a guy committing suicide by test drive?

Is it even vaguely possible to kill yourself in a liquor store by drinking "rented" alcohol?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Andy9o8

You need to go back to Analogy School. It is, after all, a higher art form.

It was early in the AM and no coffee. However, I remember back in the mid-80s when I started working with Vietnam vets single vehicle accident suicides were discussed. I guess you never saw the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

You need to go back to Analogy School. It is, after all, a higher art form.

It was early in the AM and no coffee. However, I remember back in the mid-80s when I started working with Vietnam vets single vehicle accident suicides were discussed. I guess you never saw the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage.

Were these single vehicle suicides so frequent that Las Vegas car dealers refused to offer test drives to those who came in alone?

quade

***Can you see this practice at an automobile dealership? Or a liquor store?

Have you ever heard of a guy committing suicide by test drive?

Unlikely circumstance - the person generally isn't trying to kill others in his suicide. So unless they give him the car to test drive alone (it's happened to me, but highly unusual), not the situation he's looking for.

Is it even vaguely possible to kill yourself in a liquor store by drinking "rented" alcohol?

would be much easier to try to hold up the store with an unloaded gun or a knife. So no points for Ron.

billvon

>I guess you never saw the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage.

I looked that one up on IMDB, and oddly enough, it turns out to be a fictional movie (as in, didn't really happen.)

but it did have a bunch of jumping Elvi, including Cage who successfully lands on the strip as his first jump experience.

kelpdiver

***>I guess you never saw the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage.

I looked that one up on IMDB, and oddly enough, it turns out to be a fictional movie (as in, didn't really happen.)

but it did have a bunch of jumping Elvi, including Cage who successfully lands on the strip as his first jump experience.

You, um, seem to be completely confused about two different movies.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

billvon

>I guess you never saw the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicholas Cage.

True the movie is fiction. For those of us who have had a severe alcohol problem it does remain a viable outlet. I can certainly remember at least once following a two week binge considering continuing right on through the curtain of life.