Croc

Libertarian test

quade

All anyone need do it look at the history of mankind to understand that's simply not true at all. Even before civilization humans banded together into tribes for mutual protection. With the advent of civilization, it becomes blindingly apparent that social cooperation is vastly superior to only looking out for ones self interest.

Key words being "mutual" and "cooperation." Our modern forced assistance programs are far from that.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

***All anyone need do it look at the history of mankind to understand that's simply not true at all. Even before civilization humans banded together into tribes for mutual protection. With the advent of civilization, it becomes blindingly apparent that social cooperation is vastly superior to only looking out for ones self interest.

Key words being "mutual" and "cooperation." Our modern forced assistance programs are far from that.

So, then, you agree a black and white solution isn't viable. Good that's a start at least.

The rest is simply quibbling over where the line is drawn.

Rand doesn't do that though. She says the only freedom is in complete selfishness. I think that's idiotic.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

She says the only freedom is in complete selfishness. I think that's idiotic.

"Self Interest" <> "Selfishness"

Not by a long shot. As you know. But, I recognize the buzzwords are more fun.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***She says the only freedom is in complete selfishness. I think that's idiotic.

"Self Interest" <> "Selfishness"

Not by a long shot. As you know. But, I recognize the buzzwords are more fun.

I'm not using a buzzword. I'm using the exact word Rand used.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

******All anyone need do it look at the history of mankind to understand that's simply not true at all. Even before civilization humans banded together into tribes for mutual protection. With the advent of civilization, it becomes blindingly apparent that social cooperation is vastly superior to only looking out for ones self interest.

So, then, you agree a black and white solution isn't viable. Good that's a start at least.

Rand doesn't do that though. She says the only freedom is in complete selfishness. I think that's idiotic.

It depends on how you define selfish.

If helping others makes one feel good, that could be considered a selfish reason.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

*********All anyone need do it look at the history of mankind to understand that's simply not true at all. Even before civilization humans banded together into tribes for mutual protection. With the advent of civilization, it becomes blindingly apparent that social cooperation is vastly superior to only looking out for ones self interest.

If helping others makes one feel good, that could be considered a selfish reason.

Stretch the meanings of words a lot, do you?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bolas

*********All anyone need do it look at the history of mankind to understand that's simply not true at all. Even before civilization humans banded together into tribes for mutual protection. With the advent of civilization, it becomes blindingly apparent that social cooperation is vastly superior to only looking out for ones self interest.

It also fits in whith that whole DEEDS thing.... that preachers preach about....That they and most of their parisioners pretty much forget about once they walk out the doors on Sunday morning. I guess it comes from ancient times since the Lord did that kind of silly "selfish" thing in his life:)
I really do wish that the conservative "christians" would finally pick who they really follow... christ.. or Ayn Rand.