wmw999

NY Times editorial: "Compromise is not a 4-letter word"

kallend

Give me a commone place to work toward and I am there

but

You will not be able to

How about working in a school for spelling, grammar and punctuation?

In my experience, grammar nazis usually ignore the content and focus on the syntax because they don't have a meaningful response to the message.
--
Rob

rhaig

but

You will not be able to

In my experience, grammar nazis usually ignore the content and focus on the syntax because they don't have a meaningful response to the message.

In my experience, people who can't be bothered to write properly are also unlikely to have taken the time or trouble to research the content of their posts, to have read other people's posts with any comprehension, or to have thought seriously about the subject on which they comment.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

but

You will not be able to

In my experience, people who can't be bothered to write properly are also unlikely to have taken the time or trouble to research the content of their posts, to have read other people's posts with any comprehension, or to have thought seriously about the subject on which they comment.

In my experience people who ignore the truth and who they really are, become grammar and spelling nazis.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

How about the budget deal with Bill Clinton

That was 20 years ago. They certainly aren't willing to compromise on budget issues (especialy revenue) today.

that's a good point - or Reagan's deal to add taxes in exchange for spending cuts (was it 2 for 1?), then fool me once 20 years ago as you note, and a few more times since then, an then propose a similar tactic now.......

why, who WOULDN'T take that deal???!!! :)
AND certainly, over the next few years while the 'revenue' increases are cashed in and prior to the start of spending cuts we won't have any more emergencies and they won't gently "revise" the plan.

Do you really trust any action that Congress promises to take if it won't happen outside of 2 years from now? 1 year?

I recall that Wimpy repaid all those hamburgers.

COMPROMISE - see below
How about you give me $100 right now and each week for the next year? In return, I'll give you $50 a week for two years starting, say,....oh......20 years from now. DEAL?

(caviat - I have the right to renegotiate every year)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

see?

Neither of our responses here were meaningful to the topic.

Wasn't that fun?
--
Rob

I agree, politicians can't be trusted to follow through on promises that have a term longer than 30 seconds.

I'm just trying to point out that the Republicans are just as resistant to compromise as the Democrats.

- Dan G

Unlimited debt ceiling agreement with obama in exchange obama agreed not to extend unemployment benefits

was your example.

That's really not what happened, and your link shows you to be wrong. All the quotes from Democrats, including the White House, say that they intend to fight for unemployment benefit extensions. They just say that they'll delay that fight until after the budget deal. They didn't promise to not ask for unemployment extension as you claim.

- Dan G

DanG

I agree, politicians can't be trusted to follow through on promises that have a term longer than 30 seconds.

I'm just trying to point out that the Republicans are just as resistant to compromise as the Democrats.

when either side tries, the other side bites off all they can and betrays the trust

my examples are from the tax in exchange for cuts pile - but there are others (agreed, both directions)

at this point, the 'offers' to compromise are so ludicrous it's clear that they don't intend to really compromise at all

seems both parties backed themselves into corners they can't get out of and it's down to backstabbing and ridiculous PR campaigns

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

when either side tries, the other side bites off all they can and betrays the trust

True that. And that's partly because the side whose trust is betrayed sees everything they "gave up" as a sacrifice, without seeing what the other side was giving up.

Skydekker had a good comment, that maybe we need to establish a common goal, and work toward that. Right now too many of our goals are political (e.g. health and well-being as long as it happens in a way that I agree with, to people I approve of).

And as big as we are as a country and world, there is no possible action that won't impact someone in an unexpected and/or negative way. Deal with it. Most of us won't go back to horses and buggies, right?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DanG

but

You will not be able to

What is the GOP willing to compromise on?

One example will do.

Obviously the budget.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Shouldn't the common goal be the wellbeing of the USA and its people?

Sure. But when each side defines good and well being completely differently, then what?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

DanG

I think if you re-read your post you'll see that it comes across as you pointing out that the Republicans are not willing to compromise, period. Nothing about Democrats not compromising..
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone