brenthutch

Global warming traps scientists in ice

Until 4 degrees C. Then the density increases. Which is why ice floats

No. Ice floats because its crystalline structure is less dense than water in the liquid phase. It's not like ice will float in water that's at 4C, but not float in warmer water.

Maybe this attachment will help.

- Dan G

There is nothing more anti-scientific than the very idea that science is settled, static, impervious to challenge.

That would be a great quote if it had anything to do with how the scientific community thinks.

In other words, stop beating your strawman, he's looking a little ragged.

- Dan G

DanG

No. Ice floats because its crystalline structure is less dense than water in the liquid phase. It's not like ice will float in water that's at 4C, but not float in warmer water.

Maybe this attachment will help.

Ice floats because it is less dense than water. It is ice because it is colder than liquid water (assuming constant pressure). So he is, in fact correct and, as usual, brenthutch is wrong.

And liquid water has a lower density at 0 degrees C than at 4 degrees C, so he was right about that too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

brenthutch

***It is less dense BECAUSE it is cold. Water peaks in density at 4 degrees C.

This sort of grasp doesn't have much benefit.

Try again. The density of water at freezing temperatures is a function of the unique properties of water, not solely due to a lack of heat. As a rule of thumb, lower temperature = higher density.

The unique properties of water are, of course, the very properties that are relevant to the behavior of the oceans and the icecaps.

Ice floats because it is less dense than water. It is ice because it is colder than liquid water (assuming constant pressure). So he is, in fact correct and, as usual, brenthutch is wrong.

And liquid water has a lower density at 0 degrees C than at 4 degrees C, so he was right about that too.

lawrocket's statement was:

Which implies that ice floats in water because water at 4C is denser than at other temperatures. That's wrong. Ice floats in water because ice at any temperature is less dense than water at any temperature. And yes, I mean ice in its naturally occurring form, not an exotic alotope that doesn't exist on Earth except in a lab.

Why are we even discussing this?

- Dan G

DanG

lawrocket's statement was:

Which implies that ice floats in water because water at 4C is denser than at other temperatures. That's wrong. Ice floats in water because ice at any temperature is less dense than water at any temperature. And yes, I mean ice in its naturally occurring form, not an exotic alotope that doesn't exist on Earth except in a lab.

Why are we even discussing this?

To be clear. Water increases in density as the temperature lowers until 4 degrees C. Or if moving up on the temperature scale increases. Peak density is 4 degrees. Warmer than that is less dense. Colder than that is less dense. Ice is even less dense and will float.

Second post was wrong.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

brenthutch

******Do you even understand phase change?

Better than you do.

Do you understand temperature?

I understand heat and temperature.;)

You claimed that temperature is not relevant to density of H2O.

Maybe in your denier kitchen the icemaker is attached to the stove. In non-denier kitchens the icemaker is attached to the refrigerator.

Phase diagram for water. Notice that ice is the LOW TEMPERATURE phase.

Phase diagram for water/NaCl. Notice that for all ocean salt contents, that ice is the LOW TEMPERATURE phase.

brenthutch

************Do you even understand phase change?

Better than you do.

Do you understand temperature?

I understand heat and temperature.;)

You claimed that temperature is not relevant to density of H2O.

I made no such claim. Reading comprehension ....anyone....?

"BTW Ice floats because it is less dence ( due to hydrogen bonds creating a crystalline structure), not because it is cold."

It is less dense BECAUSE it is crystalline, and it is ONLY crystalline BECAUSE it is cold.

dG = dH - TdS - SdT

The crystalline structure has lower entropy so it is favored at low temperatures.

But feel free to put your ice cube tray in the oven.

Nice, we finally agree that cold = ice. Inversely ice = cold. I think we can agree that cold is the opposite of warm. With that in mind, take a look at this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/09/23/antarctic-sea-ice-hit-35-year-record-high-saturday/

If that does not work, take a look out of your window.
Think of Occam's razor.

You might want to consider this:

Slip in Slide

And any discussion about water needs to include something called : "Insolation." This is the other indicator that everyone completely ignores, this is what is killing us at the moment. How convenient that this subject gets repeatedly ignored. And it is purely a mathematical discussion, it can not be reduced to discussion and words or opinioons, which is why once again any "real" scientist, not one who has the publish or perish doctrine as their personal golden rule as their moral yardstick, well anyways, this mathematical discussion is what keeps laypeople, who vote, in the dark. So back to my interruption here: Insolation, and what real scientists are doing??? Right back to "trigger points," science guided not by empirical facts and natural phenomenon, but political action tailored to public opinion. In other words when sunscreen is the most valuable commodity on earth, well the Koch Brothers will corner tha market on that stuff as well,.....

Trigger points, doomsday scenarios being planned right now at a college or University near you! Somebody call Havaard, MIT, Stanford, etc,...and just ask if they have contingency plans for moving to higher ground??? Just that point alone: "do they have plans????"

Ok, guys, sorry to interrupt, back to your conversation, sorry,...

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

brenthutch

Nice, we finally agree that cold = ice. Inversely ice = cold. I think we can agree that cold is the opposite of warm. With that in mind, take a look at this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/09/23/antarctic-sea-ice-hit-35-year-record-high-saturday/

OK:

The increasing ice is especially perplexing since the water beneath the ice has warmed, not cooled.
“The overwhelming evidence is that the Southern Ocean is warming,”
said Jinlun Zhang, a University of Washington scientist, studying Antarctic ice. “Why would sea ice be increasing? Although the rate of increase is small, it is a puzzle to scientists.”
In a new study in the Journal of Climate, Zhang finds both strengthening and converging winds around the South Pole can explain 80 percent of the increase in ice volume which has been observed.
“The polar vortex that swirls around the South Pole is not just stronger than it was when satellite records began in the 1970s, it has more convergence, meaning it shoves the sea ice together to cause ridging,” the study’s press release explains. “Stronger winds also drive ice faster, which leads to still more deformation and ridging. This creates thicker, longer-lasting ice, while exposing surrounding water and thin ice to the blistering cold winds that cause more ice growth.”

If that does not work, take a look out of your window.
Think of Occam's razor.

Oh, the old "weather = climate" line again.

Yes, it will be nice when the polar vortex goes back to its normal programming.

[Reply]And any discussion about water needs to include something called : "Insolation." This is the other indicator that everyone completely ignores, this is what is killing us at the moment.

Insolation is what I've been writing about. S/4(1-a) is the formula for insolation. It's one side of the equation. S = Solar constant (which is actually variable, as we are learning but considered to average 1361 watts per meter^2). "a" = albedo (usually etimates at around .3. So (1-a) provides the percent of S getting through. S is divided by 4 because the insolation of a sphere from a point sources affects averages 1/4 of the sphere at any particular time.

Climate scientists haven't focused on insolation since the 1970s (the global cooling thing was in response to the effect of increase in aerosols increasing albedo). The "left side" of the equation is energy in (insolation).

The other side of the equation deals with energy out. That side is eoT^4 with e being "emissivity" (about 612 watts per meter ^2), o is the Stefan Boltzman constant, and T being the temperature that the models will show.

The right side is where climate science has been focused for at least the last 25 years. Particularly, they've focused on "e" - CO2 affects "e" because it reflects back LW IR radiation to the earth. The thought is that is affects albedo because it melts ice, which decreases albedo and leads to a feedback loop. (Of course, that would be the far north and south where it's not very insolated, anyway).

That's how insolation is being handled - pretty much only by focusing on the decrease in albedo caused by loss of ice. (Mind you, the loss of Arctic ice is probably pretty well matched by the gain in Arctic ice).

That is but another explanation. Explanations are numbering in the dozens now. Each with different proposed mechanisms. Why is everyone out there trying to explain why Antarctic sea ice is increasing? Answer: because it is absolutely contrary to the models. Predictions were totally the opposite. Arctic is generally trending with what was expected. But Antarctic sea ice is showing a definite limit to climate models.

I can admit that I am finding greater simple elegance to your previous suggestion that the coastal seawater is being diluted by increased runoff. Reason is because the mechanism makes sense. We all know most of Antarctica is a desert because most of it is so cold that the air can't hold moisture to precipitate. An increase of temperature will result in an increase of precipitation. It doesn't snow at minus 40. It does at minus 20.

The effect is increased accretion of snow/ice. As well as increased ablation. Leading to more runoff that is not necessarily older ice.

There is even a study suggesting that climate change is causing an increase of rainfall in the Southern Ocean, further diluting the surface (the atmosphere transferring water from northern to southern areas).

All pretty interesting. And unpredicted. The science looks far from settled.

lawrocket

That is but another explanation. Explanations are numbering in the dozens now. Each with different proposed mechanisms. Why is everyone out there trying to explain why Antarctic sea ice is increasing? Answer: because it is absolutely contrary to the models. Predictions were totally the opposite. Arctic is generally trending with what was expected. But Antarctic sea ice is showing a definite limit to climate models.

I can admit that I am finding greater simple elegance to your previous suggestion that the coastal seawater is being diluted by increased runoff. Reason is because the mechanism makes sense. We all know most of Antarctica is a desert because most of it is so cold that the air can't hold moisture to precipitate. An increase of temperature will result in an increase of precipitation. It doesn't snow at minus 40. It does at minus 20.

The effect is increased accretion of snow/ice. As well as increased ablation. Leading to more runoff that is not necessarily older ice.

There is even a study suggesting that climate change is causing an increase of rainfall in the Southern Ocean, further diluting the surface (the atmosphere transferring water from northern to southern areas).

All pretty interesting. And unpredicted. The science looks far from settled.

I think you are confusing change itself with an indicator of change. Sea ice extent is just an indicator, it is not climate change.