masterblaster72

Vietnam General Vo Nguyen Giap Dies at 102

Dien Bien Phu was one of the great military victories of modern times. Some argue that Giap can even be credited as the military mind behind the ousting of the Japanese, French and Americans to ultimately win Vietnam its independence. Pretty impressive career for someone with little formal military training.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24402278

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

It doesn't take much to win against Americans, never did.

Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan...each and every time they go home like a beaten dog with its tail between its legs. Works every time.

Sad thing is that they create a lot of death and carnage along the way. Nothing else.

Skyrad

Yes an impressive old warrior.

mpohl

Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan...each and every time they go home like a beaten dog with its tail between its legs. Works every time.

Sad thing is that they create a lot of death and carnage along the way. Nothing else.

***Yes an impressive old warrior.

"It doesn't take much to win against Americans, never did.

Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan...each and every time they go home like a beaten dog with its tail between its legs. Works every time."

That's because we have never (with exceptions) brought total warfare to an enemy since WWII. Our soldiers, airmen, and sailors have held their own with what they had; including geographical/political constraints, and the political climate back home. If all American politicians were required to serve, I believe they would be less prone to sacrifice the troops in any limited conflict. Yes, "it doesn't take much to win against Americans" when all they have to do is wait us out, but don't underestimate us on the battlefield or in the air. We were well on the way to bombing General Vo Nguyen Giap's people back into the stone age when we stopped the bombing and went home. Even the general admitted, "we (US) had them against the ropes."

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

mpohl

To be fair its the American public hat has no appetite for the fight and its they who pull the leash on the dogs of war who end up getting dragged back home like a naughty dog from the park.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

PiLFy

Penis envy is runnin mighty thick in here...

Do you disagree that the American public have hamstrung the US military by not having the appetite to fight wars for years on end? Or maybe you think that the US military wasn't up to the job regardless?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

His story was in the WP this week and it's clear we should have never wasted one life on that piece of crap country. But Lady Bird owned BELL HELICOPTERS so it was in Johnson's interest to crash 4,000 helicopters in the jungle. Again, it's a money thing.

Americans are not made to be warriors.

They file a complaint if the temperature gets above 75 F, if they can't access their XBox on base, email, Skype. Or Orio cookies!

They think war is like a Sunday ballpark game. Until they encounter the reality, at which point of time they just run home crying to their mommy.

Of course, Discovery Channel and alikes make them look tough as nail. Simply because they can shout obscenities the loudest.

That's my opinion.

Skyrad

***Penis envy is runnin mighty thick in here...

Do you disagree that the American public have hamstrung the US military by not having the appetite to fight wars for years on end? Or maybe you think that the US military wasn't up to the job regardless?

mpohl

Americans are not made to be warriors.

They file a complaint if the temperature gets above 75 F, if they can't access their XBox on base, email, Skype. Or Orio cookies!

They think war is like a Sunday ballpark game. Until they encounter the reality, at which point of time they just run home crying to their mommy.

Of course, Discovery Channel and alikes make them look tough as nail. Simply because they can shout obscenities the loudest.

That's my opinion.

******Penis envy is runnin mighty thick in here...

Do you disagree that the American public have hamstrung the US military by not having the appetite to fight wars for years on end? Or maybe you think that the US military wasn't up to the job regardless? You must be talking about the Air Force. They will put in a golf course/club before they build an airstrip, and they live on "base".:P Too many American Rambo movies make "some" of our foreign friends a little daffy.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Skyrad

***Penis envy is runnin mighty thick in here...

I believe the 1% use the military to make profits... Their ability to Wag the Dog has become progressively less, over the past few decades. My comment was directed at Mpohl's non-fact based hatred of my country. Limited Rules of Engagement have caused obvious ill effects. His disrespecting >230 years of American valor & sacrifice doesn't change a thing. As the last remaining Superpower, he knows we could turn his ancestral sandbox into a pane of glass w/the touch of a button...

mpohl

Please complete your profile.

"It doesn't take much to win against Americans, never did.

Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan...each and every time they go home like a beaten dog with its tail between its legs. Works every time."

That's because we have never (with exceptions) brought total warfare to an enemy since WWII. Our soldiers, airmen, and sailors have held their own with what they had; including geographical/political constraints, and the political climate back home. If all American politicians were required to serve, I believe they would be less prone to sacrifice the troops in any limited conflict. Yes, "it doesn't take much to win against Americans" when all they have to do is wait us out, but don't underestimate us on the battlefield or in the air. We were well on the way to bombing General Vo Nguyen Giap's people back into the stone age when we stopped the bombing and went home. Even the general admitted, "we (US) had them against the ropes."

+1

This is so incredibly close to the truth that it is not even funny. Even our closests contenders on a conventional level have altered their doctrine to encorporate heavy military losses (60% of their conventional forces) in the first 2 months and have instead begun to focus on developing 'depth' defenses to protract any potential conflict because they understand that the American political system will lose the will to fight as other things become more important. Gone are the days when the wars of America affect the daily life of Americans since WWII, perhaps the Korean war. Even the perception of the hippie movement ending Vietnam is inaccurate. If you read polls and surveys conducted throughout the time somewhere in the neighborhood of 54% still supported Nixon through Linebacker I & II and until Watergate had a lot of faith in the presidency. (Sidenote: Someone mentioned Johnson and Ladybird Helicopters however we were being dragged into Vietnam slowly since Eisenhower, mostly by JFK, and then it got dumped on Johnson. Johnson's dreams were centered around his Great Society plans rather than military conflict in Vietnam).

I digress. The sheer power of the USAF and its ability to utterly rain an unholy shitstorm throughout the world is unbelievable. Some of the new Russian jets are second generation fighters on par with the F16s but we havn't even started factoring in F18s & F22s. Follow that with the Navy's ability to also unleash hell for hundreds of miles away (excluding boomer subs) and all of this is before you even start contemplating the actually arrival of US Army (Beat Navy!) ground forces. Have you ever seen what a battery (8 guns) of Paladins can do? Have you ever seen what 30 rounds of 155mm dropped within 500m of your location can do? Any idea what it feels like? Any idea of what you find on the receiving end (it's not much)? And that's just a battery.

@ Mpohl: I've seen you post an incredible amount of anit-American, Anti-US gov stuff all over DZ and usually I ignore it because it's your opinion and you are entitled to that but know this.

1) Your ignorance is laughable
2) If the restraints that bind the true might of the US Military were ever broken and it were allowed to wreak havoc without the Rules of Engagement that it places on itself to maintain the "good guy" image, there would be nothing left of whatever target it was pointed at.

melch

Dien Bien Phu sucked for the French, so much that Eisenhower looked into the idea of dropping atomic bombs on the Vietnamese to rescue the French. Operation Vulture, look into it:S.

I looked into the idea of cheating on my taxes. :S By your logic I'm a tax cheat.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Will do. As soon as I see something positive.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out yet how to positively spin NSA, Government shut-down and looming default, let alone state-sanctioned torture. Shall I go on?

riggerrob

mpohl,

It would be a pleasant change of pace, if you could post something positive about Americans.

Wall Street and stock market rules the day. For- profit firms are engaged in developing and destroying equipment to drive stock market at the expense of mullets who believe they are fighting for a cause.
Fighter jets are dinosaurs, yet are needed to drive profit motives. Same reason Lincoln allowed McClellan, a railroad president, to wallow in not ending the war sooner by going after Lee after Antietam which resulted in the later Gettysburg battle. Railroads supplied the northern troops. Money, money, money. Sacrificing young men's lives for the sake of profits.

airdvr

***Dien Bien Phu sucked for the French, so much that Eisenhower looked into the idea of dropping atomic bombs on the Vietnamese to rescue the French. Operation Vulture, look into it:S.

I looked into the idea of cheating on my taxes. :S By your logic I'm a tax cheat.

Fail to see how you reached this conclusion in an observation of facts that I made; there was no argument or point to be made. I was commenting that Dien Bein Phu as a military battle was terrible for the French troops. As a result of the seige and the situation of French troops, Eisenhower contemplated using atomic bombs on the Vietnamese forces which of course he did not. So please enlighten me on what your argument is about concerning my logic?

melch

******Dien Bien Phu sucked for the French, so much that Eisenhower looked into the idea of dropping atomic bombs on the Vietnamese to rescue the French. Operation Vulture, look into it:S.

Fail to see how you reached this conclusion in an observation of facts that I made; there was no argument or point to be made. I was commenting that Dien Bein Phu as a military battle was terrible for the French troops. As a result of the seige and the situation of French troops, Eisenhower contemplated using atomic bombs on the Vietnamese forces which of course he did not. So please enlighten me on what your argument is about concerning my logic?

Your goal was to make Ike and the US look bad...FAIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9FnO3igOkOk#t=47
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Your goal was to make Ike and the US look bad...FAIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9FnO3igOkOk#t=47

I think he was just stating a historical fact without any motive to make the US look bad. Where are you coming from with this useless non sequitur? Do you think it would have been a good idea to drop nuclear bombs on Vietnam?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.