rushmc

Reading Bible aloud outside DMV wasn't illegal, judge rules

Kennedy

******How does one become "trapped" on the outside of a building by 2 people? Seems to me you could just keep walking.

if i have to take a day off from work and stand in line at the DMV, i feel trapped there. i cannot leave without losing my place online and a days work. Its not a starbucks, where i can go to another DMV and get their drivers license.

we both know that i am not literally trapped there. you also know my point but dont like it, fine. Dont try to imply its not logical. you can just say you would prefer people are permitted to preach at the DMV and i should have to suck it up.

I'm curious how much you'd support it if they were preaching the Koran or evils of flouride in drinking water. Or the benefits of Obamacare.

Some folks feel the same way about protesters that you feel about street preaching. Should protesters be muzzled because they annoye somebody?

Me? I don't like any of them, but I'm not about to call in the law to silence, arrest, and remove them. I ignore them, or pop in the headphones. The only one I ever took action against was a baptist preacher in the crazy westboro strain who was blocking entry to a building. Police were watching but not doing anything about denying access. So we pulled out a video camera, and a friend tried to walk through the group. One of them got in his face and poked him in the chest. My boy went all wristy-twisty and took the guy to the ground. The group howled bloody murder. When the cop came over, we showed him the video. He asked my guy if he wanted to press charges for assault. The fuckwits let us through. They didn't come back the next day.

Bottom line, don't fuck with free speech. There is no such thing as a right not to be offended or annoyed. Grow up and deal with it.

i live in a city that is not short of street preachers and protesters. i pass many every single day. i walked by the OWS'ers, not your local branch but the real smelly deal for a long time. I'm a pretty tolerant guy.

i dont think i am fucking with free speech by saying they should not be able to do it to people waiting online at the DMV or other gov't buildings. you have to draw the line somewhere, and i draw it there. i think its pretty reasonable and grown up place to draw it.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

quade

I am all for free speech, but I can't help wonder how this episode would have gone down had it been a Scientologist or Muslim.

My guess they would not have even been arrested
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Change the religious tome being inflicted on the people waiting in line at the DMV from the Bible to the Koran.

I am sure that you and your kind would be the first to be offended by the abuse inflicted on your fellow citizens, and be pissed as hell that the judge let the perp off.

Rant #2

Factual statement #2, based on your past performance.

Nice weasel move. No ducking this one, Marc.

If the preacher was preaching from the Koran, would you be defending the preacher and the judge, or not?

Go ahead and show the firm moral compass you have. All laws apply equally to everyone, don't they? The Koran preacher is free to spew his religion on the captive DMV patrons, just as the Bible preacher can now spew his religion on the captive DMV patrons, correct? This is a simple Yes or No question.

funjumper101

******Change the religious tome being inflicted on the people waiting in line at the DMV from the Bible to the Koran.

I am sure that you and your kind would be the first to be offended by the abuse inflicted on your fellow citizens, and be pissed as hell that the judge let the perp off.

Rant #2

If the preacher was preaching from the Koran, would you be defending the preacher and the judge, or not?

Go ahead and show the firm moral compass you have. All laws apply equally to everyone, don't they? The Koran preacher is free to spew his religion on the captive DMV patrons, just as the Bible preacher can now spew his religion on the captive DMV patrons, correct? This is a simple Yes or No question.

I have already answered these questions above
For the most part I do not see your posts stable enough to respond to
So
I am no weaseling
I am ignoring you
Abraham Lincoln

Gravitymaster

Ironic that this thread is in a place called Speakers Corner, isn't it? :P

A bit. Then again, that's a Brit thing. Here in the US, (supposedly, but not in fact), any public surface is open. No "free speech zone" required as is the case at some surprising places recently.

I'm all for free speech and generally think anyone should be allowed to speak in a public place. Where that notion gives me a bit of heartburn is when they do it in front of an innocent business and fuck up their foot traffic or they bring amplification into the equation and overpower the ambient noise levels.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rushmc

*********Change the religious tome being inflicted on the people waiting in line at the DMV from the Bible to the Koran.

Rant #2

So
I am no weaseling
I am ignoring you

In other words, you can't admit to yourself and others that your ethics are situational, not absolute, so weaseling out of a direct answer is how you deal with it.

No problem, Marc. A firm foundation of situational ethics is required to hold Right Wing Conservative beliefs. If you didn't have that, the beliefs would collapse due to rational thinking. I get it. I'll still call you out on it, every time I get a chance.

Replying to my post challenging you to a yes or no answer on a simple subject is not ignoring me.

funjumper101

************Change the religious tome being inflicted on the people waiting in line at the DMV from the Bible to the Koran.

Rant #2

So
I am no weaseling
I am ignoring you

In other words, you can't admit to yourself and others that your ethics are situational, not absolute, so weaseling out of a direct answer is how you deal with it.

No problem, Marc. A firm foundation of situational ethics is required to hold Right Wing Conservative beliefs. If you didn't have that, the beliefs would collapse due to rational thinking. I get it. I'll still call you out on it, every time I get a chance.

Replying to my post challenging you to a yes or no answer on a simple subject is not ignoring me.

Your question was answered twice in this thread
You pose no challenge to me
Mostly, I just feel sorry for you
anyone as angry as you are here has issues that need to be dealt with
First however, you need to find reality

Bye:)
Abraham Lincoln

quade

I'm all for free speech and generally think anyone should be allowed to speak in a public place. Where that notion gives me a bit of heartburn is when they do it in front of an innocent business and fuck up their foot traffic or they bring amplification into the equation and overpower the ambient noise levels.

You and I agree here
that does not seem to be the case here however
Abraham Lincoln

funjumper101

***No shit
I listened to the radio interview of these guys lawyers
The law suits are now coming
They should win big money

As shown in videos posted online, a California Highway Patrol officer arrested Mackey on suspicion of preaching to a captive audience. According to court documents, a second CHP officer arrived and told Coronado that protesting was not allowed unless a group had the proper permit.

“I answer to a higher power, the U.S. Constitution,” Coronado replied, according to the trial brief.

and WTF does the judge mean with the insufficient evidence crap???

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-dmv-bible-acquitted-20130813,0,4123072.story

Freedom OF religion includes freedom FROM religion.

If you want to conduct your life by the ideas presented in an ancient book of fables, have at it. Trying to force that on other citizens, in a public place, while the citizens are stuck in line waiting for a GOVERMENT office to open, is 100% wrong. If the law currently allows such preaching, the law needs to be changed. Preaching from private property, with permission of the property owner, no problem, as long as you are not disturbing the peace.

Why is it that conservatards have no real understanding of freedom and personal liberty?

Citizens should not have to put up with nitwits preaching their particular fantasies when standing in line at the DMV, the tax collector, or to vote. The old saying MYOB applies. Trying to force your religious beliefs on others is WRONG. Muslim, Jewish, or Christian, it doesn't matter. Preaching to a captive audience at a government facility should be illegal.

The 'tards consistently show that their limited concept of freedom only applies to men with pale skin, of white, northern european ancestry, with extra credit if you are a "Christian". Women and minorities are not due the same rights and privleges. They only are allowed the level of freedom which the white men say they are allowed. Some are more equal than others.

As we used to say in the Air Force, "You all eat up with the red ass."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

quade

I am all for free speech, but I can't help wonder how this episode would have gone down had it been a Scientologist or Muslim.

A Scientologist in California? Cops would have been running crowd control for him, wouldn't they?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***I am all for free speech, but I can't help wonder how this episode would have gone down had it been a Scientologist or Muslim.

A Scientologist in California? Cops would have been running crowd control for him, wouldn't they?:P

Only in certain sections of LA and Riverside county. I am getting a kick watching them trying to make inroads in Orange County. They put up shop in downtown Santa Ana about a block from the center of the busiest hispanic community. It's a riot watching them try to pull people in. I don't think 99% of the Scientologist working there have any idea what language is being spoken. They do have ONE guy who seems like he's got his act together and he's the one on the street handing out pamphlets . . . right across the street from one of the local hispanic churches who have the advantage of LOTS of amplification on their side. I kid you not, there are at least two dozen churches a 5 block radius. Orange County, California is like God-Central. I'd put it up against any other part of the country.

The only reason I know this is I like to take my daily exercise through that part of town when I'm between projects. I find the area interesting.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Andy9o8

Two idiots idiotically arrest two other idiots and people cheer for the lawyers

Is this a great country or what?

Michael Keaton, from "Night Shift", right?;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.