jclalor

British woman has baby

Hi dav,

US has riots over race, government surveillance of citizens, scandals galore.

Egypt has a coup going on.

Syria is in a civil war.

Iraq is bordering on civil war.

Gulf of Guinea has piracy on the rise.

I'm rather enjoying the fact that an entire country + is glad to see a nice man and woman had their first child.

You guys just want to get pissed about anything and everything that makes the news.

Thank You.

And I think it is great that their country is enjoying the moment.

JerryBaumchen

Now give us the baby, say Welsh

THE Welsh have demanded the royal baby be given to them so the initiation can begin.

The dark and mountainous principality, which believes it is ruled by the baby’s grandfather, has dispatched a team of tiny warrior monks to collect the child from Kensington.

The monks will take the prince to the Hall of Dragons on the tip of the Gower Peninsula. There he will be placed in the arms The Great Gryffd, who will school him in the mystic ways.

The process, known as ‘The Rite of Caradog’, will take seven years after which the child will be returned to his parents, filled with ancient wisdom and resentment.

Owain Glynwyryn, of the Council of Elders, said: “We will teach him how to fight, not with his fists but with his mind. And also with a bottle.

“We will tell him tales of heroes and victories until we have washed every drop of Englishness from his true Welsh heart.

“And if that doesn’t work we’ll just hold him upside down.”

After the monks collect the baby they will ride at full gallop for the Welsh border where the infant’s loyal subjects will line the road, holding burning torches to light the way to the Hall of Dragons.

Glynwyryn added: “Release him unto us, for it is his destiny.”

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “Absolutely not.”

It's a pretty mixed sentiment here at work (all 20 something professionals). Some are bored of it and some love it. Personally, it's a nice to feel part of a historical event that will be remembered for hundreds of years (or at least share in the birth of someone who will be remembered through history).

However, the coverage was OTT - very CNN / fox news with reporters sitting on site doing nothing but looking at a building..

kallend

I like babies.

No-one is forcing you to pay any attention.

I never said I did not like babies, I have worked with very sick babies 40 hours a week for the last 10 years. I do think the coverage right now is just slightly over the top and there are certainly other issues that are just a bit more pressing.

Celebrity worship. The UK has the Royals, the US has their Kardashians, Brad and Angelina, Hilton, Trump, etc etc etc.
It is all the same GD thing. Celebrity worship. It is ALL completely ridiculous.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

Celebrity worship. The UK has the Royals, the US has their Kardashians, Brad and Angelina, Hilton, Trump, etc etc etc.
It is all the same GD thing. Celebrity worship. It is ALL completely ridiculous.

If, in a time of painful austerity, the British citizenry are willing to tolerate so much of their public treasury being spent to finance the extravagant lifestyles of their extended family of celebrities, well.... that's on them.

Isn't going to keep me from thinking " :S " about it, though.

mr2mk1g

"filled with ancient wisdom and resentment.”

what a great line

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Andy9o8

***Celebrity worship. The UK has the Royals, the US has their Kardashians, Brad and Angelina, Hilton, Trump, etc etc etc.

If, in a time of painful austerity, the British citizenry are willing to tolerate so much of their public treasury being spent to finance the extravagant lifestyles of their extended family of celebrities, well.... that's on them.

Isn't going to keep me from thinking " :S " about it, though.
The Royals actually bring more money to the UK then they cost it. So that is not my concern. My concern is how people seem to be inclined to put certain individuals on pedestals.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

The Royals actually bring more money to the UK then they cost it.

That's why I phrased my post the way I did. Perception is reality. I just don't understand why more Brits who scrimp and struggle just to get by from one paycheck to the next aren't galled by the extravagant lifestyles those people live, on the public tab, mainly due only to accident of birth or fortuitousness of marriage.

The French had their own solution for that.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Andy,

I just don't understand why more Brits who scrimp and struggle just to get by from one paycheck to the next aren't galled by the extravagant lifestyles those people live, on the public tab,

But, but, what about our congress critters?

:)

JerryBaumchen

Good, freaking question!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***Hi Andy,

I just don't understand why more Brits who scrimp and struggle just to get by from one paycheck to the next aren't galled by the extravagant lifestyles those people live, on the public tab,

But, but, what about our congress critters?

:)

JerryBaumchen

Good, freaking question!

That may be, but it fails to answer MY question.

jclalor

This reminds me of the night I ran down the street shouting" A BOY, I DON'T BELIEVE IT, IT'S A BOY!" And with tears streaming down my face I swore I would never visit a Thai brothel again.

LOL ... but I thought you liked boys. Oops ... my bad, wrong user.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Politics: MSNBC: UK loves the royal baby because GOP economic policy has failed

Published by: Robert Laurie on Thursday July 25th, 2013

By ROBERT LAURIE - Seriously. They're not even trying to make sense anymore.

If you're a citizen of the United Kingdom, the odds are you're excited about the birth of His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge. Not content to simply let the UK be a happy, proud nation, MSNBC wants you to know that the patriotism you're experiencing is the fault of Republicans in the United States. Specifically, it can be attributed to the "failed economic policies" of Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy.

If you don't see the oh-so-obvious connection, we'll explain.

MSNBC's Martin Bashir thinks that Brits are far more wrapped up in the royal birth than they normally would be. This is because the UK government has embarked on a supposedly destructive austerity program that - in Bahsir's mind - is ripped directly from the Ryan/McCarthy playbook. In short, GOP-esque policies have made the British people so miserable that they're looking for anything to lift their spirits.

As Bashir puts it:

“Everything that they espouse about economic theory applied in a recession has been applied in the United Kingdom. And what we’ve had in the United Kingdom is a near triple-dip recession.

Part of the fascination with the royal baby has been because people have been so depressed by the economic circumstances in the United Kingdom that they’ve been looking up for some light relief.”

Bashir went on to complain that America's economic woes would have been solved long ago, if only the GOP would let Barack Obama do what "he would have liked to have done." the MSNBC host failed to mention what, exactly, Obama wants to accomplish that he couldn't achieve when Democrats controlled the White House and both Houses of Congress. Bashir also managed to tie the miniscule US budget sequester into his rant, before insinuating that, had Prince George been born in America, he'd probably be dead.

“In this country, we’ve had such a contentious fight over the Affordable Care Act and I was interested in looking at the facts about infant mortality in this country. The United States has one of the worst levels of infant mortality in the developed world. And to a large extent, that’s because women don’t have sufficient maternity care cover.”

Of course, he neglected to mention that the Royal infant was born in a pricy private section of one of England's best hospitals. There, the royals received care that was far superior to the standard, sub-standard, HHS care afforded to the nation's "normal" populace. That's good news for the royal family, since a June 15th edition of the Telegraph indicated that HHS childbirth can be quite the nightmare. Many hospitals are over-capacity, maternity wards are turning women away, and laboring mothers have been forced to travel as much as 65 miles in order to find a facility with a vacancy.

Units in some trusts are closing every other day as staff shortages and a lack of available beds prevent them from admitting new patients.

With wards closing for periods of up to three days at a time, data obtained by The Telegraph suggests more than 1,700 women have been turned away over the past two years.

Patients who went into labour faced the daunting decision of travelling up to 65 miles to the nearest ward with an available bed, or giving birth at home.

We're sure none of the facts actually matter to anyone at MSNBC, but it's still amazing to see just how far the left will go to politicize virtually anything if it believes it can be used to attack a Republican.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Andy,

I just don't understand why more Brits

Any Brits out there who can help Andy on this?

He didn't like my thoughts; but he's not the first in line.

:o

JerryBaumchen

Just because he doesn't like your thoughts doesn't mean you are wrong.

On balance the Royals net a profit for the country, and on the whole the people prefer them over politicians to be head of state.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.