Kennedy

Secret Emails in the Most Open Administraion

Top Obama appointees using secret email accounts
AP publishes HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius’ secret email address
Transparency update: Sebelius, other Obama appointees, using secret email addresses; Labor Dept. tried to charge A.P. $1 million for FOIA docs

Apparently Richard Winsor, aka EPA head Lisa Jackson, was the rule, not the exemption. Senior officials are still using sock puppets to avoid transparency. IF they would release the complete emails and blackout the email address, I'd feel better about FOIA response. Hiding the entire email account from scrutiny is a whole other ball game.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Senior officials are still using sock puppets to avoid transparency.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it.

Another would be to say it makes sense to have more than one email address; one for dealing with broad public issues and another for dealing with higher level officials on issues of a more immediate nature. It's why when you have to speak to your boss, some times you need to do it in a different room than the office bullpen. The "idea" you're suggesting might not be for public consumption yet. The topic you're dealing with needs to be kept under wraps for the moment because otherwise it might jeopardize something. Or, are you suggesting that virtually every word communicated between everybody in government be immediately published in the news?

That's a ridiculous standard.

The email addresses are still owned by the government. They can still be FOIAed. I don't agree with the amount of money being charged to comply with the FOIA, but that's a separate issue.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Kennedy

I'll give them one thing; at least these are on the .gov server and not hidden away on a private mail servers.

Or worse, eminently hackable ones. A certain VP candidate comes to mind.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There is a difference between a "secret" email account and a second alias for the same mailbox. I am willing to bet that most IT admins worth their salt have a second or even third alias that points to the same mailbox so that they can receive email to a "vanity" email address. I have also created the aliases for users with difficult to spell correctly names so it minimized the number of bounced emails since someone could not type [email protected] but they are able to type [email protected] (or [email protected] :ph34r:) and have both addresses pointing to the same mailbox. I've also created policies that allow for more stringent mail filtering policies to be applied to external facing aliases for executives since their contact info is published on the websites and then have a normal filtering policy apply to their secondary alias that is not published externally.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

There is a difference between a "secret" email account and a second alias for the same mailbox. I am willing to bet that most IT admins worth their salt have a second or even third alias that points to the same mailbox so that they can receive email to a "vanity" email address.

nothing vane about it. I have over a dozen, and some have to get retired after too many vendors sell off their data to spammer scum.

I completely understand. You wouldnr believe the troubkes working for a decent sized gov agency with a common name. I used to get four people's email, but only half of mine. Ridiculous rules about allowable emails meant they were nearly identical.

The difference here though, is that your email is not taxpayer funded or subject to public disclosure.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You can come up with the most useless and full of shit explanation for what this completely corrupt and full of shit administration is doing it is so comical.
Have you never ever looked at the politics in Illinois that you have foisted on the rest of us with your vote and complete lack of knowledge on the subject. Do you have any idea how corrupt Illinois politics are and how that has made its way to Washington. Any clue at all??? Just repeating liberal talking points handed out by a completely biased and useless media is not a response to the questions raised by conservatives here yet that is what I see from you.
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

You can't possibly believe that all these libs had private email addresses for the reasons you posit...
With all the non-transparency going on you would have to be an idiot not to recognize how these addresses were used to hide what the real agenda is for the administration and how they plan to proceed than just used to keep spam out.

IN this case it absolutely is...
And what part of illegal are you missing for christ's sake???
These are illegal...how is that for corrupt...
How can you get around that man..
YOU Can't

/palm face to you

As long as its on a .gov mail server its not secret and is subject to a FOIA request. These are not secret mailboxes but they are second addresses that are accessed in the same mailbox. Do you really think that the Presidents only address is [email protected]? If you do not know the difference between an A-name pointer and and MX record pointer then this might be a good time to admit you don't really understand what they are talking about in terms of how "secret" this really is.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com