Kennedy

Words We'd Wish Away

normiss

While I personally believe your last comment, there are people that are simply offended by words.

I don't, I think the proposal was to avoid what's becoming Newspeak in the forum.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Andy9o8

Is this why the Boy Scouts don't like it when I call them "Hitler Youth"?

Hitler was short, wore a uniform, thought knives were 'neat', and was awkward around girls

I don't see why they get bent out of shape....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Kennedy

I was just thinking how much better SC would be if we could just make certain words untypable. You know, an annoying error message that you couldn't post until you deleted the listed words. Personally I'd list Republican, Democrat, liberal, conservative, nazi, hitler, and progressive. What would you get rid of?

I know exactly the kinds of posts you're talking about and while I too lament the use of words like "liberal" and "conservative" as slurs, doing away with them wouldn't help. People are as capable and/or willing to engage in civil debate as they are... chipping away at the languge won't suddenly make people more critical thinkers.

I am reminded, again, of FYAD. If I remember correctly that website has seperate forums for guns, religion, and politics in addition to FYAD. Speakers Corner kinda lumps all those sentiments together.

Kennedy

I was just thinking how much better SC would be if we could just make certain words untypable. You know, an annoying error message that you couldn't post until you deleted the listed words. Personally I'd list Republican, Democrat, liberal, conservative, nazi, hitler, and progressive. What would you get rid of?

My one (probably hopeless) attempt to bring this tread back on topic follows:

What if, instead of banning certain words, we just developed another heavily-modified thread type similar to the "on topic" experiment? Call it a "non-partisan" or "non-party line" style... one that allows people to express conservative or liberal views, but only as individual arguments that specifically don't immediately dismiss an entire party.

So, for example, a post that says "I believe such-and-such a proposal by the GOP is hurtful to the nation because..." would be fine but "This is just what we should expect from republiscum" would be moderated to the round file.

ETA: Basically, allowing partisan discussion while trying to reign in the party-bashing that seems to kill nearly every thread in this forum after about four posts.

Elvisio "seeking the cherished middle ground, ending up skewered on the fence" Rodriguez

quade

If you eliminate words which describe an idea, you effectively remove the idea. What's left over is "officially approved" thought and speech.

?????
BS. Plain and simple. Eliminating words forces you to express your thoughts in other terms..hopefully in more precise terminology.

Negative. That is precisely why specific words exist; to serve as a symbol for a specific idea.

For instance, give me THE English word equivalent of the German word "schadenfreude." You can't. It doesn't exist.

Bogus, off track post.
Please try to stay in the ball park.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You really don't have a clue what this thread is about; do you?

The post isn't "off track." It's a specific example.

What's more, it's a pretty good one because most Americans have never heard of the word and never had a way to describe the idea it stands for, yet the minute they know the word, suddenly the concept opens up for them and they instantly recognize the meaning. For that reason, the word now gets used in the English language and everyone who knows the word, can communicate the meaning precisely.

The opposite of that, removing words, has the opposite effect. Remove words and you remove the ability to communicate as effectively.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I know exactly the kinds of posts you're talking about and while I too lament the use of words like "liberal" and "conservative" as slurs, doing away with them wouldn't help.

I do believe it would help.
Can anybody actually concretely define those terms?
They are ambiguous at best, used in nefarious ways as you noted and have no foundation for presenting concise information or ideas.

....chipping away at the languge won't suddenly make people more critical thinkers.

I agree. What it will do is start them off on learning to be more critical in their presentation.

quade

You really don't have a clue what this thread is about; do you?

Kinda like post #2, right?

Another bogus post. When caught with your pants down, attack.

quade

You sir, are simply a contrarian.

I love the irony, quade. Lovely, it is.
Now pull up your pants, you're embarrassing the ladies.

I would like to do away with the word 'fair'. It has been so poorly used that it has become an anti-word. It now means anything except what it appears to mean.

Then, there's all the references to someone being 'wing' if they disagree with you. Left wing. Right wing. Anyone who doesn't agreee with the speaker must be 'fringe'. The speakers never seem to consider the possibility that they are the actual fringe element...
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

One thing I would wish away in the context of this post is the following pointless exercise (lots of reps though here)

A - "I think .........(some word used kinda close to meaning).....blah blah blah"

B - "but that word really means -subtle twist to align to personal spin- , so you must ACTUALLY have this despicable position.....so you are wrong"

A - "but if that's the case, I MEANT to say (paraphrase) - does that clarify?"
[[option here to argue the meaning of the word to salvage the true intent]]

B - "I refuse to acknowledge the paraphrase, I'll be an ass and stick with my meaning of the word which invalidates the argument you didn't mean to make and I won't make an effort to discuss your real position. Words are important and if you don't use my twist on it, then you must be an imbecile also"

C - "Yeah, (slam poster A)"
D - "Fun!! (slam poster A)"
E - "People like poster A and their ilk are terrible humans"
Dreamdancer - "we don't tax enough"
JohnRich - "I like guns"

etc

If person B isn't making a genuine attempt to apply the concept of 'newspeak' to his advantage, ...

JerryBaumchen

Hi pops,

Can anybody actually concretely define those terms?

Good grief; it is easy and it is definitive.

Anyone to the left of me is a liberal, and anyone to the right of me is a conservative.

Where you been all these years? :P

JerryBaumchen

[facepalm]
I was having an octogenarian moment.
:D:D

I'd ban "gun lust." People who use that term know nothing about guns; and if that is their idea of lust...
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Kennedy

Has anybody (other than you) in speakers corner ever used that phrase?

I wouldn't discount it as a possibility, but probably not in our normal sphere of users and useage. I guess we could do a phase search.

Ok...I'm seeing 23 uses ever out of 4.4 million posts. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver