normiss

Nothing wrong with whipping your kids!

I think corporal punishment is a poor way to educate a child and its used far more often than it should be. However, it's an excellent choice for dealing with adults who choose to abuse children. Public, full-body 5 minute flogging with a coat-hanger would probably discourage them from ever doing such a thing again.

And no, Remi, there's no sign-up sheet. :P

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Your link is not working.

I don’t know how bad the kids was whipped ? but if he is just black and blue I really don’t see the big deal. Don’t know what the kid did.

No time outs in our house when i was a kid
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

livendive

I think corporal punishment is a poor way to educate a child and its used far more often than it should be. However, it's an excellent choice for dealing with adults who choose to abuse children. Public, full-body 5 minute flogging with a coat-hanger would probably discourage them from ever doing such a thing again.

Blues,
Dave

When my mother became a widow with three boys, "we" pushed her to her limits, and we deserved what we got. She never physically abused us when using the belt or requiring us to hold both hands while she gave us a harmless slap in the face. We knew we deserved it, and we laugh about it today. We literally put mom through a bit of hell at times.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

rickjump1

***I think corporal punishment is a poor way to educate a child and its used far more often than it should be. However, it's an excellent choice for dealing with adults who choose to abuse children. Public, full-body 5 minute flogging with a coat-hanger would probably discourage them from ever doing such a thing again.

Blues,
Dave

When my mother became a widow with three boys, "we" pushed her to her limits, and we deserved what we got. She never physically abused us when using the belt or requiring us to hold both hands while she gave us a harmless slap in the face. We knew we deserved it, and we laugh about it today. We literally put mom through a bit of hell at times.

Funny how different anecdotal cases can be. I was a single child, and my birth mother did abuse me. I eventually fought back at 11 years old, when I was big enough and she was hitting me with the buckle end from shoulder blades to backs of the knees, after which she got a large security guard from her church to come over and provide beatings whenever she thought I needed it. That lasted a bit over a year, and at 13 I ran away, never to return, and still don't talk to her 30 years later.

The primary purpose of child-rearing is education. Learning occurs best in a clear mind. Pain and stress run contrary to clear thinking, and thus to learning. Sure, learning that touching a hot stove will burn your hand is simple enough, but most of the lessons parents are trying to teach are a bit more complex. Personally, I struck my daughter once...I slapped her 3 year old hand as it was reaching for the hot stove. Now approaching 25, she's far outpacing me on nearly every front...she's better than I was at her age with money, education, relationships, and the law, despite having a mother who struggled heavily with a drug addiction and a party-lifestyle. Sure, it's just another anecdote, but we all want to see our children do better than we did, and while my daughter has made some of the mistakes I did, they've been fewer and not nearly as severe.

Also - most of the time I see parents using corporal punishment, they're not trying to teach a meaningful lesson, they're just choosing a poor way to convey their anger over the child's behavior. And when they talk about it, it's usually "I would beat his/her ass if they did x", not "I would teach them very clearly why they should do y instead of x". Of course my perception may be somewhat biased.

At 17 or 18 years old, I was walking through my neighborhood and encountered a man yelling at his toddler child. I told him that was a stupid way to communicate and a calm voice would be more effective. The next time I saw them in front of their house, the dad was again annoyed at something. He looked up, saw me, and slapped the kid'd head hard enough to knock him off his big wheel toy. I ran over and knocked the dad down and asked him how he liked it. The kid had been crying from the hit his dad laid on him, but escalated it to screaming when he saw me do the same thing to his dad. That leaves me still wondering today whether I did the right thing (illegal or not). I dunno. I think rewarding good and shunning bad is far better than expecting good and punishing bad, at least when trying to train children and other animals.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

No one should go through what you did. My dad was a little quick to use the belt, but we deserved it. The most feared words out of my mother's mouth: "Wait until your dad gets home". He also showed us the inside of a jail cell. Being an Air Force officer, he reminded us at an early age, "If you get in trouble, I get in trouble".
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

The most feared words out of my mother's mouth: "Wait until your dad gets home".

My father always hated that; he said that it robbed him of intimacy with us. Not that we really heard it all that often.

And then there was that time one of my brothers told him "you know, Dad, your spankings aren't really hurting much any more.":D

That said, my son also hated to hear "wait until your father gets home," but that was because he got to tell his father about the offense, and explain it to him. His father would make him explain it and talk about it enough for our son to figure out that it hadn't been a great idea to begin with.

That worked a treat. We were lucky enough to have been issued a great kid, too. :)
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

rickjump1

No one should go through what you did. My dad was a little quick to use the belt, but we deserved it.

What you and every child deserves from their parents is a good education. Reasonable minds can disagree on whether mild corporal punishment can play a part in that. Waiting until your dad gets home is good insomuch as it indicates a deliberate course of action, hopefully with a desired goal, rather than an outburst of anger. Personally, I prefer Wendy's way with her own child, but either way it gives the kid some time to think about what they did wrong and potentially absorb the lesson. Although I always kept spankings as a theoretical option that my daughter was aware of, she was much more afraid of disappointing me than of the possibility I might paddle her butt. That made it much easier to keep pushing her in the right direction when she was too old for spanking to be an option anyhow (i.e. when the truly difficult lessons start).

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

No serious I believe in giving your kids an ass whooping if they need/deserve it.
I think that’s why we had people who were much more considerate in the past. I don’t believe in abuse but I also don’t think physical punishment is always abuse.

That's why I wanted more details.

"Time out" is joke kids need discipline and I think the main reason we have so many rude kids, and adults is because of the lack of discipline.

There is more to it then that IMO but thats another thread, and Dicipline is key

The guy who kidnaps, imprisons and rapes three girls for over 10 years, not to mention the beatings they took from time to time and on several occasions causing the death of more than 1 unborn child gets bail set at $8,000,000.00 dollars.
Two parent’s whipping a child for several minutes gets jailed with no bail? I find that odd?

Darius11

Dicipline is key

Discipline. It can be dispatched in ways other than physically.

A personal example: When my son screwed up enough, he was consigned to a corner of the room to place his nose in the corner and to remain there until a pre-determined amount of time lapsed. It was timed with a clock, so no matter how pissed off I was, we both knew the finite quantity of his punishment.

A local convenience called once and told me they caught him shop-lifting a chocolate bar and was barred from ever entering the store again. He was about 12 I think. After getting his honest admission that yes, he did take a candy bar, I took him with me to the store. I made him apologize to the storekeeper face-to-face, and pay him the cost of the candy out of his own spending money. That was an insufficient penalty (lesson) in my opinion, so after a conversation about it, the next Saturday, we went to the local school grounds. I sat and supervised by reading a book in a lawn chair while he took garbage bags and picked up trash for three hours.

He's 30 now, happily married, practicing corporate law, is a recycling nut, and still mentions how much he hates the smell of wallpaper glue and drywall.

He also mentioned the things that hurt him the most was the feeling that he had disappointed me with his youthful transgressions.

Just my $0.02.

John

I believe the former is a guy who's never been in trouble with the law, and we don't know he did those things, he's just charged with them. In any case, he's unemployed, so the $8,000,000 bail is like a carrot dangling on the very distant horizon, barely even visible.

On the other hand, we have someone with a long criminal record beating an 11 year old child. Assuming he wasn't on parole or probation (a pretty big assumption), what good could come from granting him bail?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Which of life's lessons do you think are best taught through violence, as opposed to other means? It seems to me that non-violent means should be exercised whenever possible, so I'm curious as to the situations in which you consider that to be the case.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Darius11

No serious I believe in giving your kids an ass whooping if they need/deserve it.

Wow! Just Wow!
I had an upbringing similar to Livendie. Corporal Punishment not only didnt work on me, It seems to have screwed my life up. I almost killed my stepfather for it (I was 14). I have no family values. I Know next to nothing about raising children or being a part of a family. I have violent tendencies when I see adults hit children and have to actually run away so i dont end up in trouble. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

So Yes, Corporal Punishment works just fine. Like a charm.
I wish you wisdom.
take care,
space

No need to get angry. I was brought up with daily ass whooping just do not see it as so detrimental for me. Maybe i am lucky i tend to be able to deal with a lot of shit that fucks people up, or maybe i am too fucked up to know it

Please note this is a huge deal, I am not saying there is no abuse, or physical punishment is not abuse, all I am saying is this; not all physical punishment is abuse.

In my book some times a kid needs a beating, i am i saying leave them black and blue in a pool of blood NO, but something to have an effect.

I know pleanty of people who are better people for it.