Kennedy

UPDATE: 3D Printed Guns

quade

From the article:

Firearms experts advised The Mail on Sunday not to test whether the weapon would fire due to safety and legal concerns. But the lapse in security will shock travellers.

Lol... so the "experts" are pussies, and so are they.

The Finnish current affairs program Ajankohtainen Kakkonen built one. The whole show as far as I know isn't available outside Finland but these two clips are:

http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1914495 (assembly by a gun smith)
http://areena.yle.fi/tv/1914496 (test firing)

Basically the reports got the CAD files and went to a University and asked them to print out the parts. Then they took the parts and gave them to a gun smith who assembled the gun. For some reason they used a 9 mm round to test fire(I though it was supposed to .22's), the only reason I can think of is that they wanted to make sure it blows up so people don't get any ideas.

After it blew up they showed it to some older cop, who basically said 'This will cause us problems', 'law makers should be alarmed about this', 'this shouldn't be available on the Internet', 'This construction shouldn't have been even shown on TV'.

And finally they talked to some 3D printer guru from the University who said that in 2-5 years people will be able to print their own guns and in few years you should be able to print metal with 3D printers.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Supposedly there are different calibers supported by the "gun" via printing of different barrels.

I guess the 9mm size now is proven to have at least 1 data point in failure mode.

It will be interesting to see others.

BTW, printing in "metal" is also no guaranteed fix. Some plastics are stronger than some metals.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

billvon

This is a tempest in a teapot. It's already easy to build a cruddy gun out of hardware store parts, and the plans have been on the Internet for years.

But of course.

Which makes me wonder, what is the real intention of Cody Wilson? Certainly he understands it's -way- easier to make a zip gun from other easily obtainable items. So what's his motivation here? Number of likes on Facebook? $2 per thousand views on YouTube?
quade -

quade

***This is a tempest in a teapot. It's already easy to build a cruddy gun out of hardware store parts, and the plans have been on the Internet for years.

But of course.

Which makes me wonder, what is the real intention of Cody Wilson? Certainly he understands it's -way- easier to make a zip gun from other easily obtainable items. So what's his motivation here? Number of likes on Facebook? $2 per thousand views on YouTube?

proof of concept and also publicity. It is a unique project in that nobody has done it before. I am sure that it won't hurt his job prospects either.

The fact that it is totally impractical is beside the point.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

quade

Supposedly there are different calibers supported by the "gun" via printing of different barrels.

I guess the 9mm size now is proven to have at least 1 data point in failure mode.

I heard about .22lr and .380acp barrels. Since this Finn show was so into making a point at the expense of the facts, can you show me that mr wikiweapons released a 9mm barrel? It seems more likely that they took a barrel for a smaller caliber and bored it for 9mm. Of course that would kaboom the barrel. You can't fire a cannon round out of a potato gun.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

billvon

This is a tempest in a teapot. It's already easy to build a cruddy gun out of hardware store parts, and the plans have been on the Internet for years.

It's a first step. People are saying it's such an impractical device that's so expensive and that there's cheaper options you can already make yourself. That's true, right now. What stage of development were 3D printers at 10 years ago? Ok, now project another 10 years down the track. Like any other useful technology, it's going to get cheaper, faster, and more advanced.

IMO any legislators trying to restrict this sort of thing at this point are too late, the genie's out of the bottle.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

quade

***This is a tempest in a teapot. It's already easy to build a cruddy gun out of hardware store parts, and the plans have been on the Internet for years.

But of course.

It's not about the gun. It's about undermining the federal government to the point that it is irrelevant. Guns are as good a place to begin as any. So far, the tactic seems to be a success...We are talking about him and his idea's.

How else could the "state" be undermined using 3D printing....hummmmm. :D

Southern_Man

******This is a tempest in a teapot. It's already easy to build a cruddy gun out of hardware store parts, and the plans have been on the Internet for years.

But of course.

proof of concept and also publicity. It is a unique project in that nobody has done it before. I am sure that it won't hurt his job prospects either.

The fact that it is totally impractical is beside the point.

They are printing models of the human heart so printing dicks are just around the corner. Jeesh all these kids will be printing more tits than guns, believe me. BTW, how much is the plastic as I gather you buy the machine then have to buy the plastic so there's money here....

I was only joking, but Mr Yee is not.
http://www.ibtimes.com/3d-printer-regulation-proposed-democrats-fear-criminals-printing-guns-1254537#

He's back tracking now, but he said all the magic words. Background checks, registration, monitoring. Oi. :S

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

Interesting. Okay, cool. Proof of concept by a third party achieved!

Not that it really matters, but I wonder why it took hours to fire 8 rounds? Just a really odd thing about the video. You'd think, put a bullet in, fire, rinse and repeat.

Any ideas?
quade -

There is no extractor or ejector built into the gun. You have to poke out the spent brass from the front down the barrel. Other than that, it takes time to set up an improvised ransom rest, and they probably inspected it between firings.
witty subliminal message
1*

Additional "experiments" ongoing.

BREAKING: UK Mail on Sunday Prints Liberator, Takes it to Paris on Eurostar

Cody Wilson’s 3D-printed Liberator alive and well in the Land of Hope and Glory. In fact, an enterprising reporter for the UK’s Mail on Sunday has taken it walkies. Simon Murphy printed out the plastic pistol and schlepped it on a Eurostar journey from London to Paris during rush hour. Seems no one was in a rush to remove the [unfired] single-shot firearm from his grip. Murphy and his mate disassembled the gun for its journey. Neither the UK’s Old Bill nor les flics noticed anything untoward. Murphy reassembled the firearm on board and his pal snapped the historic pics. So, what does all this mean? According to various authorities: human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria! More specifically . . .
snip

Additional interesting printing story:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/robert-farago/fancy-a-titanium-defcad-liberator/

Side note: if a nonferrous metal like aluminum (not polarized) is run through a magnetometer at a security checkpoint, does it sound an alarm or pass through quietly?
witty subliminal message
1*