CygnusX-1

Good news for EV customers, bad for Fear Mongers

The premise of the thread is bs to begin with
(please re-read the title)

How is it BS? I was just in the market for a new (to me) car within the last 2 weeks. The dealerships or more importantly the salesmen who didn't have the type of vehicle I was looking for (something that would get at least 36 MPG) were still peddling the fear that batteries would have to be replaced every 5-7 years.

Fear mongering is still alive and well in the auto industry if you don't have the vehicle customers want. I also remember why I hate car shopping to begin with. Even if they had the car I was looking for, the dealer would lie about practically everything to make a sale. "Sure you will get a 5 year warranty on the car. I can even get you a 2% interest loan. And free for life oil changes with synthetic oil. Just sign here." B|

But of course I have instantly become one of those obnoxious drivers on the road since I switched from driving my gas guzzling Frontier to a 2010 prius. But I don't mind, I like driving 420 miles and only putting in 9.6 gallons. ;)

I live in fairly rural area, and believe you me, my truck has seen plenty of dirt. After all they don't haul your trash away here.

I would not valet park a Prius, but might a Tesla.

I have no problem with trucks. My wife drives a pickup, and they don't pick up our trash here, either. It's the giant trucks with chrome and "No Fat Chicks" stickers (drivers generally a fat unwashed male), or the Escalade sized SUVs with soccer stickers and stick figure families (driver invariably an overdone, middle-aged woman on the cell phone) that have to go 1mph over parking lot speed bumps that drive me crazy.

When I taught my kids how to drive, I told taught them to recognize patterns and use visual cues to anticipate who'd be more likely than average to drive like an aggressive asshole: pickup trucks, taxicabs, delivery/contractors' vans, red subcompact cars with white wheel treatments, and any vehicle with a young male at the wheel (especially with other young male passengers). I stand by that advice.

aggressive asshole: pickup trucks, taxicabs, delivery/contractors' vans, red subcompact cars with white wheel treatments, and any vehicle with a young male at the wheel (especially with other young male passengers). I stand by that advice.

around here: soccor moms (predominately) and to a lesser extent: middle aged men in suits and nice cars, males in early 20's if the car is crap. there's a demographic that drives excessively slow (like 40 on the interstate) and sloppy as well, but I don't want to be called names.

just on the way in, I was on a 2ndary road (45 mph) and was passed by a woman going 60 who BARELY got in front of me before she was passed by a kid going at least 75. But I got to forget about that on the highway when a (middle aged guy in a nice car) boxed out another of the same kind forcing him to drive down the shoulder - then at least 3 miles of them jousting and gesturing and cutting each other off....Hard to watch as I was going 70 (in a 70) which apparently wasn't good enough for guy in the big truck that was tailgating me the entire time.

it's getting worse too

"never get behind an old men wearing a hat" is an old joke

I'm pretty sure they all were electric cars......(kidding)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I live in fairly rural area, and believe you me, my truck has seen plenty of dirt. After all they don't haul your trash away here.

I would not valet park a Prius, but might a Tesla.

I have no problem with trucks. My wife drives a pickup, and they don't pick up our trash here, either. It's the giant trucks with chrome and "No Fat Chicks" stickers (drivers generally a fat unwashed male), or the Escalade sized SUVs with soccer stickers and stick figure families (driver invariably an overdone, middle-aged woman on the cell phone) that have to go 1mph over parking lot speed bumps that drive me crazy.

When I taught my kids how to drive, I told taught them to recognize patterns and use visual cues to anticipate who'd be more likely than average to drive like an aggressive asshole: pickup trucks, taxicabs, delivery/contractors' vans, red subcompact cars with white wheel treatments, and any vehicle with a young male at the wheel (especially with other young male passengers). I stand by that advice.

White mini-vans have been and are still the worst
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Sighhh. Fine: Asians.

nope - demographic doesn't automatically equate to a racial description

this one is pretty specific: female + recent immigrant + male dominated place of origin + certain age range

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No, I just said they were speaders and not polite

I never said they were the worst (I dont think I did anyway)

Oh, and we have our share of worst drivers
Abraham Lincoln

>It's the giant trucks with chrome and "No Fat Chicks" stickers . . ..

. . . with the bed liner without a scratch on it.

No bed liner in mine
The inside box is beat up pretty good

I would guess that is to be expected with a vehicle with 350k miles on it
Abraham Lincoln

I would guess that is to be expected with a vehicle with 350k miles on it

I'd say so. Would it have less wear if it had 350k miles under it?

Would it have less wear if it had 350k miles under it?

I'd think it would be more appropriate to say it had 5.9736 x 1024 kg under it.

;)

(the mass of the earth) :D

Abraham Lincoln