Obama at the range

>As skydivers, we'd be thrilled if the President were to give skydiving a try

Some would. Some would point out all the things he did wrong to get that same feeling of superiority. And a few would say "look at that exit! He dearches and his JM doesn't give him a hips-down right away! It's obviously faked."

Ha, but taking a single shot to kill two crosing birds in skeet is not allowed. Can be done, and easy to do even by mistake but doesn't count when scoring. You would only score one hit out of possible two hits for taking one shot to hit both birds. Shooting sports are great and challenging.

I don't know anything about skeet shooting and I really don't care if Obama really shoots skeet all of the time. I don't agree with his stance on gun control regardless of his skeet shooting skills.

Curious, double barrel over/under but only one barrel has the extended choke. Typical skeet guns have the extended chokes so you can change frequently as the shots change, but in both barrels. Unless he just loads one shell at a time the original picture is not "right".

Not all chokes extend past the end of the barrel, and having two extended chokes can make it annoying to change them without a key. You could have one barrel with a choke you don't plan on changing very often (like medium range/modified choke) and an extended choke in the other one.

If I was going to have one extended choke, it would be in the top barrel as shown in the photo.

Some would. Some would point out all the things he did wrong to get that same feeling of superiority. And a few would say "look at that exit! He dearches and his JM doesn't give him a hips-down right away! It's obviously faked."

and some would bounce the back of his head off the door, causing him to loop uncontrollably and result in them not even releasing film of the freefall part of the jump, just the canopy.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Hey, you know that port that is shooting back blast out the side of the barrel in that photo?

Yeah, that's just like a muzzle compensator or flash suppressor that he thinks constitutes an assault weapon feature on a rifle.

I guess it's okay for him to have one, but not for anyone else. He wouldn't dare think of that being an assault shotgun.

Curious, double barrel over/under but only one barrel has the extended choke. Typical skeet guns have the extended chokes so you can change frequently as the shots change, but in both barrels. Unless he just loads one shell at a time the original picture is not "right".

Not all chokes extend past the end of the barrel, and having two extended chokes can make it annoying to change them without a key. You could have one barrel with a choke you don't plan on changing very often (like medium range/modified choke) and an extended choke in the other one.

If I was going to have one extended choke, it would be in the top barrel as shown in the photo.

You don't change the chokes while shooting skeet. You change which barrels you shoot pending what bird your after. The gun could have one or two extended chokes or none extended. Extended only allow for quick change without using choke wrench. You select desired chokes before starting the round. You use tighter choke for farway birds and more open chokes for close ups. Don't forget about the barrel selector switch. Safety is always off.

You don't change the chokes while shooting skeet. You change which barrels you shoot pending what bird your after. The gun could have one or two extended chokes or none extended. Extended only allow for quick change without using choke wrench. You select desired chokes before starting the round. You use tighter choke for farway birds and more open chokes for close ups. Don't forget about the barrel selector switch. Safety is always off.

Are you replying to me? I don't disagree with anything you wrote here, but your reply is somewhat incoherent if it was a response to my post.

I was simply stating that having one extended choke isn't "right" or "wrong" it's just a matter of personal preference. It doesn't discredit the photo of the president.

Ha, but taking a single shot to kill two crosing birds in skeet is not allowed. Can be done, and easy to do even by mistake but doesn't count when scoring. You would only score one hit out of possible two hits for taking one shot to hit both birds. Shooting sports are great and challenging.

Since it only happens on a double, you have to repeat the double for it to score. The first bird is scored a hit, even if you miss the first of two on a repeat.

Since the game is one of timing, it is hard to change one's pace. I once had to repeat a particular double four times before I used the second shell for the second target, and I was not showboating - it was simply the setup of the trap houses so that the targets crossed when I shot at that station.

If someone mounted their shotgun at my club like our plucky CIC did in the picture, people would call a time out before he could shoot, in order to show him the rudiments of how to do so. I cannot recall any neophyte that made it through their first round without showing much more competence than demonstrated in the picture.

It was reported that Obama lasted less than 5 minutes when shooting with the Marine detachment, and could not get out of there fast enough. I don't blame him.

It would go against the grain even to dry fire when holding a shotgun like that, and I doubt if I would willingly touch off a 3 dram equivalent 12 gauge target load in such a stance. I have broken a collarbone, and it hurts.

BSBD,

Winsor

It was reported that Obama lasted less than 5 minutes when shooting with the Marine detachment, and could not get out of there fast enough.

Ha! I'd like to let him try "Old Betsy" and see how he does with a .40-caliber black powder flintlock.

...commonly known as a "Squirrel Rifle." Okay, so a .36 is definitive squirrel rifle, but a .40 does not qualify as a heavy-hitter.

For blackpowder, .577/.58 and up is getting a bit more serious, but even an 8-bore dangerous game blackpowder rifle is not on a par with the modern stuff.

If someone was to fire, say, a .577 Tyrannesaur holding it in a stance such as depicted, I doubt if they would be willing to fire another shot when they got out of the hospital.

BSBD,

Winsor

You makin' fun of 'Ol Betsy, you dandy?

"I know not whether, in the eyes of the world, a brilliant death is not preferred to an obscure life of rectitude. Most men are remembered as they died, and not as they lived. We gaze with admiration upon the glories of the setting sun, yet scarcely bestow a passing glance upon its noonday splendor."

Faked?

I dont think so

But the position looks so awkward that if you want to make a skydiving comparison, I would say the skydiver is on his back and cant arch right so as to get belly to earth

Also, what is with the smoke?

I shot skeet for years

I neves seen anyone use black power to do it (I am not saying he is using black powder but the smoke is strange)

As for the rest? I could give a squirt. Obama and many other preidents have staged photo opps for years. Just look at his last campain stops in NV and MN
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This would explain why the picture looks akward to me

But I also see one of the photos in your link with smoke from a shot

I wonder if this might be a lower speed shot meant for this type of shooting?
Abraham Lincoln

It was reported that Obama lasted less than 5 minutes when shooting with the Marine detachment, and could not get out of there fast enough.

Ha! I'd like to let him try "Old Betsy" and see how he does with a .40-caliber black powder flintlock.

...commonly known as a "Squirrel Rifle." Okay, so a .36 is definitive squirrel rifle, but a .40 does not qualify as a heavy-hitter.

For blackpowder, .577/.58 and up is getting a bit more serious, but even an 8-bore dangerous game blackpowder rifle is not on a par with the modern stuff.

If someone was to fire, say, a .577 Tyrannesaur holding it in a stance such as depicted, I doubt if they would be willing to fire another shot when they got out of the hospital.

BSBD,

Winsor

This is the first prototype of this gun
It weighs 75 lbs

The weight has since been uped to 100 lbs

Made by SSK and the rounds were $30 to $40 each

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rKHXTsDcco
Abraham Lincoln

It is a lot of smoke. I think they make 12 Ga BP blank rounds. He probably used those because real boolits are icky.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yes I was responding to you. You don't seem to have a clue the use of chokes, or barrels of a shotgun while shooting skeet. I've address most of what you said. Here another one.. you don't need a key to change extended chokes even if two chokes are installed.They are not torqued down that tight anyway. Most expert trap and skeet shooters never change chokes anyway as they most often never change their handicap....only then one might change a choke. My skeet gun has FIXED chokes, not threaded for replacment chokes: why? I know what I need and I use barrel pending what shot I'm taking.
I do realize it might be difficult for one to understand shooting sports when they're not that involved with the sport or with shotguns in general.

Yes I was responding to you. You don't seem to have a clue the use of chokes, or barrels of a shotgun while shooting skeet. I've address most of what you said. Here another one.. you don't need a key to change extended chokes even if two chokes are installed.They are not torqued down that tight anyway. Most expert trap and skeet shooters never change chokes anyway as they most often never change their handicap....only then one might change a choke. My skeet gun has FIXED chokes, not threaded for replacment chokes: why? I know what I need and I use barrel pending what shot I'm taking.
I do realize it might be difficult for one to understand shooting sports when they're not that involved with the sport or with shotguns in general.

Sigh...

How far into a post do you usually read before just deciding "screw this guy... I know I disagree with this guy..."

Someone posted that the photo is suspicious because the gun the president is holding has an extended choke on one barrel and not the other, and that that meant he must only be using one of the barrels. I replied with why one might choose to have one extended choke, and that it's really not grounds for dismissing the photo. The president clearly doesn't "shoot skeet all the time," but I don't like it when people make bad arguments like that "on behalf" of gun owners.

Now you're beating your chest over how you use fixed chokes while shooting skeet... look, I'm not having a pissing match here.

I'm not having a pissing match here.

Then get the fuck out. We have standards here.

Maybe I should have said the same to you when you bitched about my number of threads....
Abraham Lincoln

I'm not having a pissing match here.

Then get the fuck out. We have standards here.

Maybe I should have said the same to you when you bitched about my number of threads....

Why don't you two relax and get your boners under control. It was sarcasm, which I realize is lost on you guys. Lighten up, girls.

Sigh...

How far into a post do you usually read before just deciding "screw this guy... I know I disagree with this guy..."

Someone posted that the photo is suspicious because the gun the president is holding has an extended choke on one barrel and not the other, and that that meant he must only be using one of the barrels. I replied with why one might choose to have one extended choke, and that it's really not grounds for dismissing the photo. The president clearly doesn't "shoot skeet all the time," but I don't like it when people make bad arguments like that "on behalf" of gun owners.

Now you're beating your chest over how you use fixed chokes while shooting skeet... look, I'm not having a pissing match here.

No problem.

haha, now you've stepped in it...

For the record, here's a completely plausible scenario explaining how that configuration in the photo came into being...

The President shows up at the skeet range and one of his PR guys goes to one of the instructors and says

PR Guy: "We want the president to shoot some skeet for photos, so we need to get him a gun... what about that one there? That one looks good."

Instructor: "uh, that one is fine, but let me get it ready for him..."

PR Guy: "Is something wrong? we need to get going."

Instructor: "No, I just want to give the President a little wider pattern so he has a better round."

PR Guy: "Round? No. He's here for pictures of him shooting skeet, we don't have time for this, just give him the gun, let's go."

President: "Hey, we ready to shoot some skeet."

Instructor: "Mr. President, I was just gonna set u-"

PR Guy: "He's got your gun right here Mr. President, lets head over to the range."