brenthutch

Thanks to Democrats, milk prices could double.

In a blow to republicans everywhere, american farmers and consumers avoid being hammered by rising milk prices:

============
Deal Reached for Stopping Spike in Milk Prices

By By MARY CLARE JALONICK and ALAN FRAM Associated Press
WASHINGTON December 30, 2012 (AP)

The top leaders in both parties on the House and Senate Agriculture committees have agreed to a one-year extension of the 2008 farm bill that expired in October, a move that could head off a possible doubling of milk prices next month.
============

I agree, time for the govt to stop involving itself in manipulating markets and deciding who the winners and losers are in what should be free market capitalism. Not too fair that us lactose intolerant folks get to sponsor subsidies through our taxes to make milk cheaper for everyone and farmers rich. The whole farm subsidy thing has always been a racket. The goct got into the business of buying food it didn't need to keep farmers afloat who should have rightly took the loss in the market. What to do with all this "food"? Start a school lunch program and give it away. Not we have more subsidies.....and school breakfast programs as well. :S

More government subsidies we cannot afford. Let's get rid of these corporate welfare boondoggles. Let prices in the marketplace rise to whatever level they should be without manipulations. Perhaps if milk prices double, people will use less and the price will go back down.

Do you know why farm subsidies exists? They exists to protect your market from the products coming from the 3rd world country producers. Just like a Chinese factory worker who is cheaper then an American one, a Chinese farmer will produce milk, corn, wheat, whatever cheaper then their American counter part. Without subsidies American farmers won't be able to compete with cheap 3rd world producers and they would eventually disappear.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

More government subsidies we cannot afford. Let's get rid of these corporate welfare boondoggles. Let prices in the marketplace rise to whatever level they should be without manipulations. Perhaps if milk prices double, people will use less and the price will go back down.

Do you know why farm subsidies exists? They exists to protect your market from the products coming from the 3rd world country producers. Just like a Chinese factory worker who is cheaper then an American one, a Chinese farmer will produce milk, corn, wheat, whatever cheaper then their American counter part. Without subsidies American farmers won't be able to compete with cheap 3rd world producers and they would eventually disappear.

Then tax the imports.

Well there is that thing a lot of Republicans like to brag about called "Free Trade" NAFTA, CAFTA and what not. They keep claiming it will help us sell more. I don't think I have seen one positive thing from it since it passed back in the 90's
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Well there is that thing a lot of Republicans like to brag about called "Free Trade" NAFTA, CAFTA and what not. They keep claiming it will help us sell more. I don't think I have seen one positive thing from it since it passed back in the 90's

Oh, you mean the one Clinton and most of the Democrats supported? This one?

http://millercenter.org/president/speeches/detail/3927

The US goods trade deficit with NAFTA was $94.6 billion in 2010, a 36.4% increase ($25 billion) over 2009.

The US goods trade deficit with NAFTA accounted for 26.8% of the overall U.S. goods trade deficit in 2010.

The US had a services trade surplus of $28.3 billion with NAFTA countries in 2009 (the latest data available).

>Then tax the imports.

Social engineering via taxation, courtesy of the GOP.

How about "right back at you" trade and immigration regulations?

Let's see, if Bulganistan wishes to export framistats to the U.S., we should apply import costs on framistats identical to whatever charges and fees are visited upon exports of goods from the U.S. to Bulganistan. If an American Studebaker is marked up 137.6% by the time it hits the showroom in Przylgksk, we should apply an equal set of fees, tariffs, inspections, quarantines and whatever to Bulganistani products.

Similarly, if it is illegal for foreigners to own more than 49% of a Bulganistani company - or any real estate at all - similar rules in the U.S. should work nicely. Bulganistan's policy of routinely nationalizing private corporations, compensating private owners generously per government-generated "fairness tables" is a practice we might adopt as well.

Then we get to their wonderfully fair immigration and citizenship regulations. Their rules differ, of course, between Druids and Wiccans, and the rights granted ethnic Huns are naturally more generous than those deserved by the Visigoth minority. Needless to say, where you are born has no effect on any of this.

I could go on.

One minor problem we conveniently ignore is the fact that nothing close to a level playing field exists, and there is not much of anyone who would support one if it was possible.

As an aside, I had some exposure to the dairy industry some time back from a "fly on the wall" perspective, and it was interesting. I was told never to even joke about anything illegal over the phone, since the lines were all tapped.

"How come?"

"Ah, they're investigating price-fixing."

"Really? Why?"

"The prices are all fixed."

"Oh."

FWIW, I find all the blamestorming quite amusing.

Carry on.