wmw999

Looking for conservative speakers

My husband and I like to go to lectures periodically; since we're both pretty liberal, we find that we tend towards ones from the Progressive Forum and the like. I'd really like to rectify that, and get some other perspective, without being assaulted -- i.e. more financial, legal and political, less about socially conservative values.

Suggestions? I'm not looking to hear Rush, Sean Hannity, or someone like Dan Patrick. I don't want to hear about why conservatives are angry at all the mistreatment they get. The last lecture we heard was from RFK Jr, about the business case that can be made for thinking about the environment. Yeah, it was liberal -- enough so that I wanted to hear a debate, but a thoughts one, not an emotions one.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Again, we don't really want to be assaulted, just informed. And a sense of humor is preferable (even Gorbachev seemed to have a sense of humor)

thanks
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My husband and I like to go to lectures periodically; since we're both pretty liberal, we find that we tend towards ones from the Progressive Forum and the like. I'd really like to rectify that, and get some other perspective, without being assaulted -- i.e. more financial, legal and political, less about socially conservative values.

Suggestions? I'm not looking to hear Rush, Sean Hannity, or someone like Dan Patrick. I don't want to hear about why conservatives are angry at all the mistreatment they get. The last lecture we heard was from RFK Jr, about the business case that can be made for thinking about the environment. Yeah, it was liberal -- enough so that I wanted to hear a debate, but a thoughts one, not an emotions one.

Does anyone have any good recommendations? Again, we don't really want to be assaulted, just informed. And a sense of humor is preferable (even Gorbachev seemed to have a sense of humor)

thanks
Wendy P.

I don't necessarily think its "conservatives" you are looking for, but rather libertarian values.

Look up speeches and articles by Ron Paul, Keynesian economics, or read up articles on this website for a start....

http://www.lewrockwell.com/

I agree.

popular "conservative" speakers nowadays are social conservatives and that's not what you're looking for - you just as well keep listening to progressive speakers if you just want emotional political rants - or just put a quarter in Ron or funjumper

fiscal conservatives can be found in both parties - they are very uncomfortable in either party, but they don't seem to fit the social molds that the two parties are obsessed with

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The George Bush School and Library at Texas A&M hosts a wide range of really high quality speakers through out the year. You're close enough that you could drive up for the afternoon. I highly recommend it. Besides the Bush Library is also a top notch visit.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Been to the Bush library -- it is good. Rice isn't doing its lecture series this year as far as I can tell (probably because of the centennial celebration). I might just head up there for one, as long as it's on a weekend -- I don't think I'll get my husband to head up there after work:D

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you're unable to find live speakers, I'd recommend searching "Milton Friedman" on YouTube and watching some of his appearances on the Phil Donahue show. Fantastic discussions.

And I agree with everyone who's steering you towards a libertarian perspective. All social conservatism is good for is losing elections.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

It's tough because speakers you would want to see aren't necessarily going to be in your neighborhood. Sometimes you luck out and stumble upon a gem. Example, back in 1992 I saw Steven Hawking give a presentation before a pretty small crowd (maybe 50 people in a lecture hall) at UC Santa Barbara. Downside - wasn’t much of a speech. Q&A was really tedious - difficult hearing a question and watching a wheelchair-bound man twitch for a couple of minutes and hear an electronic voice put out a 10 word response. Yeah, I’m shallow.

But you can take a look at the Cato Institute http://www.cato.org/multimedia/. No, I haven’t seen any of them. Like you, I am more interested in hearing people I disagree with.

But – if you EVER get the chance to see P.J. O’Rourke speak, don’t miss

My wife is hotter than your wife.