airdvr

Frontline - The Choice 2012

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/choice-2012/

Watched most of this last night. I'm now even more sure that Barack was elected because he was black and it was the cool thing to do by a bunch of people who are having guilt feelings over the plight of the black person in this country.

Compared to Mitt, Barack looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Amazing that he was able to parlay his lack of experience at anything into being POTUS.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I haven't heard anyone make a cogent argument that he was remotely qualified when he was elected. We will always wonder how much race and guilt played into it. He played the card, but subtly.

My concern is that it might not matter who gets elected. Things rarely change much and we need things to change much.

I prefer Romney because he has potential. IF things can be turned around, he has enough money that he should not be beholding to anyone. He has proven he can walk away from power by not running again for Governor. We need someone who can make hard decisions that are not going be popular, but will leave us better off. We need someone who can go in with no intention of another four years. Honestly, I don't think it can be done. But if it can, Romney has the potential.

In the end, I think we are heading for a cliff. Who is at the wheel as we enter freefall matters not.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Ha! I didn't think of it that way. I think that, if a person did it right and wasn't in love with power or money, we would have to hold a gun to their head to get another four years out of them. I have incredible respect for Condi Rice. Take a look at before and after pictures of her. We got our money's worth and then she walked away. Eight years was more than enough.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Watched most of this last night. I'm now even more sure that Barack was elected because he was black and it was the cool thing to do by a bunch of people who are having guilt feelings over the plight of the black person in this country.

I voted for Obama/Biden because I thought they'd be a better choice that McCain/Palin. I didn't care what color anyone was. I suspect that was true of most people.

- Dan G

I voted for Obama/Biden because I thought they'd be a better choice that McCain/Palin. I didn't care what color anyone was. I suspect that was true of most people.

Exactly. McCain had a reputation for being an independent thinker for years. Then, the moment he got the nomination, he suddenly put all his effort into convincing us he was Dubya II. That, combined with choosing that nitwit Palin, just gave the election to Obama.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think that there are many who agree with you. Indeed, probably most are like you. What airdvr is pointing to are the people who are affected by the PR machine. Obama is an intensely personable and likeable guy. He had a buzz around him that grew and grew. He became an international phenomenon.

How much buzz? The guy was given the Nobel Peace Prize because of the buzz around him that would remain even a year after he was elected. Even HE did not think he deserved it, but that was the life he was living. He’d go on to brag about assassinations of terrorists, etc. in honor of the Peace PRize.

Out very own entrprnr told me something a few weeks back that was really telling: “You must perform. Perception is great but if you don’t deliver people will see through the bullshit.” It’s not a matter of the President’s performance being anything less than could reasonably be expected. Obama has lost his luster, and it was the luster that drove him to his first win.

Clinton lost his luster, too. He was astute enough to adapt. Carter was too idealistic and never adapted. Dubya GAINED luster – he was re-elected in 2004 when things were very much on the upswing. Reagan gained luster.

The one thing I cannot help but think is that if Obama was not black he would be viewed as Jimmy Carter. An intelligent man, idealistic, but lacking in the pragmatism. Or George HW Bush, who looked at his watch during a debate. He just doesn’t seem interested.

I had expectations for Obama. He sure as hell didn’t meet them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Watching last night I could almost imagine Biden, Pelosi, and Reid sitting around discussing how expendable Obama was and how they should get that ACA done while he was still glowing. "Forget the economy kid, it'll solve itself."
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The problem with this election is that the entire republican platform, and their candidates, are planning to return to voodoo economics. They will return to the failed policies that ran this country into the ground, as happened the last time their party had power. They will also do everything they can to remove the hard fought rights that women have had for forty years.

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Their polices have been proven, absolutely, to not work. The economic disaster that happened was the fully predicted outcome of their polices.

The other key detail to remember is that the republicans successfully conspired, starting the night of the inauguration, to obstruct in every way, shape and form, anything that the Obama administration tried to accomplish. They were very successful in substantialy derailing the hope and change the we, the people voted for. They did this via gross abuse of the Senate rules, failing to negotiate in good faith on any issue, and saying NO to any policies that would benefit the country. In other words, they sacrificed the good of the country and its people, for political ends. History will not look kindly on those people.

The election of 2010 was a perfect example that the power of the media belongs to those that own the most of it. The average citizen was led to believe that the Democratic party had not done much of anything to solve the problems, and that a change was needed. The fact that the lack of progress was 100% due to Republican obstructionism was conveniently NOT mentioned by the mass media, in any meaningful way. If you are fed lies, misinformation, and complete bullshit by the only information sources available, you will come to believe things that aren't based in reality.

If the average citizen was fully informed as to the facts of what has occurred since 1980, Democrats would be in power for the next 50 years. Saint Ronnie wasn't a saint. Not by a long shot. It was that administration that started the modern era of never being held to account for the illegal activities of the administrations and their staffs. Iran Contra should have ended in impeachment and lots of people going to jail for a long time. In context of modern times, that is chickenshit compared to the activities that ShrubCo has not been held accountable for. We executed Japanese citizens for waterboarding and other forms of torture. The morals of this country have become so corrupted that we now let our government get away with that which used to be a capital crime. Torture is against the Geneva Convention, to which the USA is a signatory. It truly is amazing how far we have fallen as a nation.

We have a choice between two Harvard educated lawyers. One was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He has led an extremely privleged existence his entire life. To this day he is a 1%er who absolutely no clue at all about what the average citizen goes through. The other made it up from a very middle class existence, with international living experience as a child, followed by being an "other", aka, mixed race person, in the heartland. From there he worked his way up to Harvard Law school. President of the Harvard Law review is not a position that one gets due heredity and social standing. It is earned. The racist bullshit he is puts up with, to this day, helps make him much more in tune with the average citizen than the other option is.

The choice is quite clear as to which person will help the USA get back to what made us a great country. The alternative is going back to the failed policies that have seriously jacked up the country. If you have a mother, sisters, daughters, nieces, grand nieces, and actually belive that they are equal citizens to men, then the choice is completely clear. If you believe in science over superstition, the choice is completely clear. If you belive in freedom and equlity for everyone, the choice is completely clear.

Thanks for the link. It's a refreshingly unbiased, human look at the two candidates.

Though I have no idea how you got this out of watching that show.