Ollieeeeeeeee

Does anyone have experience with this helmet release system?

Hey guys,

As of right now this is not a pressing concern (I'm not jumping with a camera just yet), but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this helmet release system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOU3ycmXzvY
http://www.skydive-safety.com/Camera-Helmet-Release.html

I'm asking because my current helmet is a Z-1 full-face helmet, and I can't find any release systems available for this helmet.
So.. any thoughts? Anyone know of any alternatives for the z-1 full-face?

Thanks..!

Seems to work every time, when there is no load on the buckle.

So make sure the camera does not snag the lines, or if it does snag the lines make sure there is no load and it should work every time as in the video.

Would be interesting to see how it works with load...

Remster

Fastex type buckles do not work consistently when under load. Their very nature makes them prone to not release when loaded.

True. I'm gonna put this out there as well: If a system will not work under load, then what's the point of installing one at all? The entire point of helmet quick releases is so you CAN get rid of your helmet if you have a line snagged on it and you need to chop.

Chuck

Remster

Fastex type buckles do not work consistently when under load. Their very nature makes them prone to not release when loaded.

Yep.
Just like seatbelts in cars, and they are made out of metal.
Having a plastic buckle like that and not only relying on it not deforming when you might load it with 2 or 3 times your weight in a spinning mal but also to relsease.
No thanks!

However, if you are lucky the plastic might deform and make it easier to release.

I've meant Alan and respect him. But I've seen this idea years ago even though the video is new. It's also from a shop in the Netherlands but couldn't quite figure out whether it's Jo's shop or another.

This is something that could be added to helmets with a Fastex type buckle that might help. If your going to jump it anyway might as well try. But not sure I'd rely on it as a sure release. Kind of better than nothing if you can't get a more positive release.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

It's also from a shop in the Netherlands but couldn't quite figure out whether it's Jo's shop or another.

The Parachute Case
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Ollieeeeeeeee

So.. any thoughts?

Buy an open face with a quick release installed by the manufacturer.

IMO, all these home-made quick release systems on full face helmets are not doing their job. Even just removing the helmet with the buckle already untied can prove hard, or even not to impossible...