phoenixlpr

Knot on a brake excess. What to do?

I had a knot on the brake line excess after an uneventful WS flight. I was not sure what to do. I was open high, I zipped up, stowed the slider. I got a know on the left side when I've released my brakes. I had altitude for fighting.
My line excess was stored in the PD recommended way within a half small rubber band.I could not find the PD document on the PD's site anymore. I was lucky to pull it free, but it took lots of time. What if I can not pull it free? It was on a Pilot150, my WL is ~ 1.5.

What to do?
-Cut it away
-Cut the knotted lower brake line and land in rears
-Stow the other side and land in rears

Is it a good idea to carry a small pipe or something to stow the other side easily?

Your options? Ideas? What is the maximum WL under you are willing to land a main in stowed brakes with rears?

If I had the altitude and the canopy wan't diving too violently I'd try and cut the brake line with my hook knife. I've landed my Crossfire2 at ~1.8 in no winds with no toggle input and it was fine, just be gentle on the risers and ready to plf. Reserves malfunction too remember, I'm not whipping mine out unless I really have to.

I would also find a better way of stowing the excess, I never really liked the bungee method. I have a bit of elastic on the opposite side of the riser.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Same goes for me.

I had a toggle snap off on deployment a while back, i had altitude so i fought her till i could get the other brake unstowed then brought her in nice and level and landed on the rears.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Blue Skies Guys,

A while back I had a demo canopy that had no place to store the excess brake line so I experimented with different methods. One of them was seriously wrong because on deployment it locked both brakes....

Since it was a 120 loaded at 1.8 and I was below 3,ooo feet I knew I had to make a decision soon. I was able to steer and flair it using rears so that is how I landed it.

In my opinion a moderately safe flying canopy is better than cutting away and rolling the dice again.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I think this would generally be what not to do and have questioned my decision since doing it, but I had the same thing happen to me back around 2000 and went to the reserve. I was in the basement from having someone over me that was not looking below them after tracking out of a bigway. By the time my main was out I was much lower than I care to mention and over the top of a neighborhood. I jammed the brakes a few times trying to get it out and burned up some altitude and then reached for the handles. I landed in a back yard where some kids were playing, dad was bbq'ing and he handed me a beer. It worked out well, but I would land the main in the same situation again. Lesson learned was don't get under someone on breakoff and don't pack at 2:30am in the dark after a friday night dz party. :)

I care to mention and over the top of a neighborhood. ....................I landed in a back yard where some kids were playing,

You would rather land a main that has a steering problem then a reserve in the above situation?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

would you recommend practicing a rear riser landing? is it dangerous to the uninitiated? i can imagine moving somewhat faster when arriving...

I would recommend putting these question to a canopy coach or at least someone with a great deal of experience in the black arts of swooping.:)

In my opinion Yes, you should practice landing your canopy with rear risers. If you are flying student gear at a light wing loading it should not be too difficult or dangerous. Just ask a jumper with strong canopy skills to go over the logistics with you before trying it. Be sure to practice it up high several times before landing because the canopy will respond differently using risers than toggles.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I agree with Green Machine and have done several riser landings BUT I am no canopy piloting coach..go there, like I did, for this kind af advice, training and learning.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I would recommend putting these question to a canopy coach or at least someone with a great deal of experience in the black arts of swooping.Smile

You have to run fast.....

That's all I got from an expert....

BTW what is your choice from above if you have altitude and you are over the designated landing area?

BTW what is your choice from above if you have altitude and you are over the designated landing area?

My choice would be to avoid the problem in the first place. Baring that, I think I would cut the steering line and go with risers.:)

You would rather land a main that has a steering problem then a reserve in the above situation?

It was a relatively docile canopy that I was not weighing heavily at the time. And, I had to sink the reserve in around half brakes anyway, so there would not have been a significant difference in the flight from not being able to let the steering line all the way up into full flight. Obviously, I didn't have a lot of time to think about it but having more experience and being in that situation under the same canopy, yeah, I would probably land it. If jumping a high performance canopy, I would be quick on the handles. :)