normiss

While we STILL have the death penalty???

I know, it's a hijack, but wanna read some cool judicial "keeping it real" in the Ninth Circuit?

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2012/05/18/1216084aor.pdf

The concurrence (starting on Page 3) starts off, "There is profound irony in Lopez’s insistence that his death be painless."

Edited to add: I am not philosophically opposed to the death penalty. I just think it should be reserved for those who kill people while imprisoned.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

while that seems like a huge number, when looked at in percentages it's a drop in the bucket, literally. and looking at the causes, it shouldn't be that hard to drop the figure more. all they need to do is change a couple of laws to exclude eyewitness testimony, and punish corrupt prosecutors. like either one will ever happen.

but seriously, it shouldn't be too hard to curb, not eliminate, but curb the numbers.i would like to find out what percentage it is, anyone know where i can get the numbers? to me, less than 0.1% is acceptable, it seems like it is smaller than that.
http://kitswv.com

to me, less than 0.1% is acceptable

Unless you're one of the 0.1%.

Its not even 0.1% its roughly 0.0008%

And this is for "serious crimes" not just death penalty cases. So yes, keep the death penalty, wish every state had it.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

oh well, it's like the senseless killing of a family because a drunk decided that it was ok to try to drive home. is it ok? no. does it happen? sometimes. is there anything we can do about it? no.
there is a fine line between allowing personal freedom and too much government impeding on every aspect of your life. i say enough already. in life, there are no guarantees. only that you will die. toughen up a little already folks. it's shameful to think that if this generation had been involved in ww2, we would probably have lost. of course, had it not been for the russians, we definitely would have, but i digress, sorry.
http://kitswv.com

Somehow I don't think that the contents of the database are the entire number of falsely convicted people.

I'd also like to think that the state has a higher goal than to be better than criminals in murder rate.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

James Bain is the longest-serving prisoner to be exonerated by DNA evidence, spending 35 years behind bars for a crime he didn't commit. He was convicted in 1974, at age 19, of kidnapping and raping a 9-year-old boy in Lake Wales, Florida.

His life was returned to him in December 2009, when a Florida judge freed him after DNA testing proved he did not commit the crime.

"Bain’s photo was included in a lineup of five photographs, and the victim picked Bain as his attacker. Based on the identification and little else, Bain was convicted and sentenced to life in prison," according to the database. "Bain had no criminal record at the time of his arrest, and insisted he was at home watching television with his sister when the crime occurred."

(Emphasis mine.) This seems to be the real problem here.

I have to consider this a serious indictment of the system and the flawed people who managed it. I do not see it as an indictment of the viability of execution as a means of redress.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I have to consider this a serious indictment of the system and the flawed people who managed it. I do not see it as an indictment of the viability of execution as a means of redress.

I do not think you are going to get rid of that system or the flawed people that manage it. If you did get rid of it then it would be replaced by another flawed system managed by flawed people.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"