wayneflorida

Are you fat?

Well, obesity is mainly a medical issue if you look at the financial side of it, so why wouldn't I talk about the medical socialization.

No, it's not - but feel free to try and defend the argument.

At least you admit your claim that he was connecting socialized healthcare to obesity was a strawman.

It's a start, anyway.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

But my main beef with this (pun intended) is that arguments over obesity and such are centered around the costs to society and healthcare. Ever notice that the fattening of America roughly coincides with the socialization of America? Why worry about diabetes and the like if society will pay for it? It's an individual cost/benefit analysis where the cost is spread and the benefit is focused.

This would mean that Scandinavians would have a giant obesity problem. They don't, because your argument is nonsensical. There is no correlation between socialization of health care and obesity.

I must have missed where he blamed it on socialized medicine - can you highlight it in his post for me?

My BMI says I'm in the healthy weight range. But I say I'm fat, and my high blood pressure and high cholesterol seem to agree with me. So I'm working on losing a few pounds and generally getting healthier. I think the BMI is designed to work for _most_ people, but people with a small frame (like myself) or people with lots of muscle (and some others) may not get an accurate picture from it.

As far as worrying about who will pay for it.... No matter who pays for it financially, the unhealthy person pays for it with his or her wellbeing. Who wants to take a bunch of pills or insulin shots, or have surgeries? I doubt that people are getting fat/unhealthy because they don't care about paying for it.

I do think it has a lot to do with our modern lifestyle, and there are things the government can do to encourage people to make better choices. Ultimately, it's up to the individual. Though I think a lot of children are now starting out overweight/obese due to their parents' poor decisions, and they're going to have a much harder time overcoming it. So I think I would support most measures to make public schools a healthier environment and better influence.

"......Obesity fight must shift from personal blame-U.S. panel
In an ambitious 478-page report, the IOM refutes the idea that obesity is largely the result of a lack of willpower on the part of individuals. Instead, it embraces policy proposals that have met with stiff resistance from the food industry and lawmakers, arguing that multiple strategies will be needed."

Nothing that government courses (PT), taxes, fines,
and mandating 50% sawdust in food products can't fix.

http://news.yahoo.com/obesity-fight-must-shift-personal-blame-u-panel-123320915--sector.html

On my Second day of P90X....its killing me, but I hope to get back to my weight prior to Heart Surgery, with a 6 pack.

But my main beef with this (pun intended) is that arguments over obesity and such are centered around the costs to society and healthcare. Ever notice that the fattening of America roughly coincides with the socialization of America? Why worry about diabetes and the like if society will pay for it? It's an individual cost/benefit analysis where the cost is spread and the benefit is focused.

This would mean that Scandinavians would have a giant obesity problem. They don't, because your argument is nonsensical. There is no correlation between socialization of health care and obesity.

I must have missed where he blamed it on socialized medicine - can you highlight it in his post for me?

"Socialization of America" != "socialized American medicine"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"Socialization of America" != "socialized American medicine"

Society paying for an individual's diabetes sounds like socialized medicine to me. If that's not what lawrocket meant, then perhaps he can clarify?

but I notice I'm always behind him in the line up at big ways. You know, where they put the faster divers.

Bullshit you put the people in the back that can't handle having people in front of them and behind them.... any thought the it takes high skill to dock late is made up by skinny pricks.....:P

It's the last to dock that breaks the record:P

Pretty soon you'll want me to use a seperate bathroom:)

Why would I want you to use the ladies room?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You know what's scary!
When is the last time you flew in an commercial aircraft.
Did you notice how old it was? If it was built in the late 80's the medium weight of the average adult was a solid 30lbs lower. So now thing, the fat bastard behind you, if there ever was an accident...do you think the bolts holding his seat will hold or will they shear and his lard ass will crush your skinny ass?

The future does not look good for shallow self centered bastards like me. It's hard to date girls who don't have muffin / sheet cake top now. Thus I predict in the near future well to do self centered shallow bastards like I will forgo dating our + sized sisters of this great nation and import long legged flat bellied amazing assed perky boobied hotties from Eastern Europe. And given enough time with enough imports, the + sized sisters will die off and not produce any children. Thus people like me being amazing looking and my imported hot Eastern European wife will have great looking skinny children and eventually this obesity problem will go away (this was sarcastic remark, if you took is seriously, you seriously need to relax a little!).
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

we keep telling you that you should relocate. LA is definitely better suited for you.

LA is very nice, but have you been to NYC?
The perk to NYC, is that the ladies are all skinny and they walk all the time. So they have nice long strong legs! And that means they have nice asses and that means their bellies are like yummy!
Add to it that there are 2 girls for every guy and half the guys are into guys and well.......

That and does LA need another Persian? I mean really! :P
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Many great responses, I think another reason was the invention of "Stranger danger" Once we no longer allowed our kids to run loose outside, due to the new un-founded fear that that they woud be kidnapped, molested and raped, ( Thank's milk cartons) They then started sitting in front of the TV and then computer for 8 hours a day. There's a PSA commercial now running telling kids that they need to get outside and play more, then they give a website for them to learn how, WTF.

have you also ever noticed, the wealthier the nieghborhood, the less fast-food avaiable?

It's no coincidence that the obestity rate rises as the income and education level falls.