wmw999

Bigger picture: TM vs GZ

Wait .... I thought you said it was *SO* difficult to switch from flight to fight, before?

WTF? For one, I've never said that.

Post 981 of the other thread.

"The effect of this choice is clear...you put Martin into fight or flight mode. Granted, when he stops chasing, presumably Martin recognizes it. That said, fight or flight doesn't abate nearly as quickly as it triggers."

For two, even if I had, it would be completely irrelevent to this conversation.

Both threads are about Martin/Zimmerman, so how is it *not* relevant?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wait .... I thought you said it was *SO* difficult to switch from flight to fight, before?

WTF? For one, I've never said that.

Post 981 of the other thread.

"The effect of this choice is clear...you put Martin into fight or flight mode. Granted, when he stops chasing, presumably Martin recognizes it. That said, fight or flight doesn't abate nearly as quickly as it triggers."

For two, even if I had, it would be completely irrelevent to this conversation.

I'm not sure how to reword that to get around your misunderstanding. Basically what I was saying was that going from neutral to flight/fight mode can be instantaneous, with adrenaline and endorphins slamming into our blood stream. Calming back down/shifting back into neutral doesn't happen nearly so quickly. I'm sure some people could do it in a matter of seconds, but most will likely take minutes, and some even hours. I was most certainly not saying it's difficult to switch from flight to fight and don't really get how you interpreted that from what I said. Further, even if I had said that, it still wouldn't rebut what I said above in this thread, which is what I assume you were trying to do.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm not sure how to reword that to get around your misunderstanding.

"That said, fight or flight doesn't abate nearly as quickly as it triggers." Not much to misunderstand, there.

Basically what I was saying was that going from neutral to flight/fight mode can be instantaneous, with adrenaline and endorphins slamming into our blood stream. Calming back down/shifting back into neutral doesn't happen nearly so quickly. I'm sure some people could do it in a matter of seconds, but most will likely take minutes, and some even hours. I was most certainly not saying it's difficult to switch from flight to fight and don't really get how you interpreted that from what I said.

You do realize that you debunked yourself in your own statement, right? See bolded, as well as your prior statement that "That said, fight or flight doesn't abate nearly as quickly as it triggers."

Further, even if I had said that, it still wouldn't rebut what I said above in this thread, which is what I assume you were trying to do.

Either Martin was scared enough to run or he wasn't - you can't have it both ways, based on *your own words*.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Either Martin was scared enough to run or he wasn't - you can't have it both ways, based on *your own words*.

Even I understand what he means, Mike. Switching between fight and flight can happen instantly - he meant that the adrenaline boost doesn't instantly wear off - that's between fight and flight -

between fight/flight and calm/restful is a different story

Stop trying to play gotcha - it's not Kallend

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We must have a language barrier. I said the same thing twice, and you're implying I said something completely different, and that one debunks the other? Also neither of them have anything to do with what I might consider a offensive vs threatening.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

We must have a language barrier. I said the same thing twice, and you're implying I said something completely different, and that one debunks the other? Also neither of them have anything to do with what I might consider a offensive vs threatening.

Blues,
Dave

You said it's hard to come down from either of the extremes, yet you imply that someone that's running scared is going to suddenly flip to attack mode absent being cornered, which Martin wasn't.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You said it's hard to come down from either of the extremes, yet you imply that someone that's running scared is going to suddenly flip to attack mode absent being cornered, which Martin wasn't.

No, thats not what i said.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

Then please explain how it's so hard to come down from 'flight or fight' but evidently so easy to switch from one to the other, especially given how it's well known how hard it is to stop a panicked flight (crowd panics, military routs, etc).
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

...if it *hadn't* gone to trial, we'd basically be telling the populace that there are no consequences for shooting someone, so long as you can spin it correctly and have no witnesses.

What message again?
Setting TM/GZ aside, what's so different than what has been the case since like forever?
Lawyers have known about "spin" since like forever. Their success in the court room depends on it.

The mafioso understood years and years ago that no witnesses, no tales to tell. You may have heard the expression, "Dead men tell no tales."

It didn't take gangbangers long to figure it out either, though they are not nearly so good at it.

Including TM/GZ, how is this a different "message"?
Just how is this sending a message of the type you relate?

You want to know a relevant, more real message being sent with respect to this case?

"If you are black, scream "racism" and you can deflect your guilt off on to someone else."

This is not uncommon these days. It happens all the time. Sharpton and company make a good living off of it. Is this a "message" that needs to be sent? If you want to propagate racism, then yes. Personally, I think it's a very bad message to send.

That's too dangerous a message to send, therefore a trial and legitimate determination of guilty or not guilty is needed.

I agree with Correce...the purpose of a trial should NEVER be to send a "massage" of any sort.

You have been suckered in this regard about "messages,"

If the latter is the outcome, I suspect there will be some tweaks to the law to prevent picking a fight just for the opportunity to end it.

Regardless of the outcome, clarifying the law to eliminate a loophole like that would be a good thing. You don't need a trial to "send a message" to do that.

EDITED TO ADD:
I think that a not guilty verdict is going to result in just more hatred and turmoil. You already know, or at least suspect, just what "message" is going to be taken away from that, right?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Blues,
Dave

Then please explain how it's so hard to come down from 'flight or fight' but evidently so easy to switch from one to the other, especially given how it's well known how hard it is to stop a panicked flight (crowd panics, military routs, etc).

No. We've helped you enough.

The 'message' is that there is a decent chance Zimmerman will be found guilty.

Just curious...What odds would you be willing to give on my money?

This should be good...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

This should be good...

Considering the motivation for trial in the first place, you may want to re-consider. Politics trumps guilt/innocence.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This should be good...

Considering the motivation for trial in the first place, you may want to re-consider. Politics trumps guilt/innocence.

I'm always willing to consider the odds...he sounds confident. Could be a big pay-off for little risk.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

...You may remember this story about Jean Kalonji and his wife Angelica, the purchaser of a foreclosed home in Newton County GA. While changing the locks on their new home, they were threatened and held at gunpoint by two of their white neighbors. When the local sheriff deputies arrived they arrested the Kalonjis without checking to find out if they were the homeowners, and took no action against the men who threatened and assaulted Jean and Angelica with their firearms and held them against their will for no apparent reason other than that 61 year-old Jean Kalonji was black.

Well, it seems the Newton County Sheriff's Department has had a change of heart about the actions of these two vigilantes (though the Kalonji's lawyer's meeting with the Sheriff and the local DA on Monday may have helped clarify the situation for them). Yesterday, Robert Canoles and his son, Branden, were taken into custody and charged with "aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal trespass."...

..."I don't know what they can charge me with," Canoles said late Monday afternoon, before the interview with authorities. "This is my Second Amendment right. Look, this is the country out here, and we protect our own."...