kallend

Santorum on birth control

"Many in the Christian faith have said, 'Well, that's okay. Contraception's okay," he said. "It's not okay because it's a license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to be within marriage, they are supposed to be for purposes that are, yes, conjugal, but also [inaudible], but also procreative. That's the perfect way that a sexual union should happen."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"Many in the Christian faith have said, 'Well, that's okay. Contraception's okay," he said. "It's not okay because it's a license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be. They're supposed to be within marriage, they are supposed to be for purposes that are, yes, conjugal, but also [inaudible], but also procreative. That's the perfect way that a sexual union should happen."

All right
You have posted what he said
You have any comments on it?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ya, you referenced this in the other thread...why a new one?

Scripture is not specific on the issue, but it is specific on not violating ones conscience. If Santorum thinks it's wrong to use contraceptives, then it's wrong for him...not everybody else.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'm very amazed he has made it this far.
What he did with respect to over stepping his powers when it came to that poor brain dead women in Florida was a sin and I'm amazed people are actually giving him the time of day.

I thought Republicans were all about keeping the federal government out of the lives of regular folks and Democrats were all about telling us what to do from birth to death?

I don't know, though I am a Democrat I am not very happy with Obamas leadership abilities. That said the Republican Reality TV show is just sad.

I half expected and hoped that someone like McCain would stand up again and this time pick a coherent partner? Not Caribu Barbie?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Scripture is not specific on the issue, but it is specific on not violating ones conscience. If Santorum thinks it's wrong to use contraceptives, then it's wrong for him...not everybody else.

Then he shouldn't be telling everyone else that birth control is NOT OK. He (and other religious righties) should keep their noses out of other peoples' reproductive rights.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

He (and other religious righties) should keep their noses out of other peoples' reproductive rights.

Any Obama (and other lefties) should keep their hands out of my wallet.....

but I'm not holding my breath.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Ahhhh - hypocrisy in the name of God. Awesome.

Luke 6:37. Or how about, Thou Shalt not Kill.

We could quote bible verses all day, the bible has zero consistency and therefore is used as a tool for whoever is weak enough that they can't come up with a decent argument of their own. It also still wouldn't take away from the fact that Santorum's a f'n idiot.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Isnt this the same guy who is "pro-life" but supports the death penalty?

that makes more sense than pro abortion anti death penalty. Kill the inocent kids but save the mass murderer.

A large number of death penalty opponents are more concerned with saving the innocent. i can't fathom a guess as to what percentage are working along the killing is bad lines.

Meanwhile, some of us support killing cells and killers.

Gen 9:6

Some good stuff in the OT.

Ezekiel 23:19-2019:

"Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. (20) There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

I wonder how they spin this one for the little ones in Sunday school.

that makes more sense than pro abortion anti death penalty. Kill the inocent kids but save the mass murderer.

Death penalty, suicide, abortion, murder, caualties of war, etc.

Apparent contradictions in approach are just that - apparent. To know if the person's beliefs are consistent requires knowing the principles behind them.

If they have non-cntradicting principles that support each belief (for instance OK with abortion, against capital punishment), then there is nothing inconsistent going on.

If on the other hand they claim something like the sanctity of life for being against abortion, but are OK with capital punishment - then they are cherry picking - or lieing about their principles.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Apparent contradictions in approach are just that - apparent. To know if the person's beliefs are consistent requires knowing the principles behind them.

If they have non-cntradicting principles that support each belief (for instance OK with abortion, against capital punishment), then there is nothing inconsistent going on.

If on the other hand they claim something like the sanctity of life for being against abortion, but are OK with capital punishment - then they are cherry picking - or lieing about their principles.

I was going to respond to this point earlier, but got sidetracked, and now I'm glad because you stated it nicely.

I also feel the terminology used in the debate is rediculous, but is used for obvious reasons to villanize the other side. I suppose that is a hazard when discussing emotionally charged subjects. I don't think anyone is "pro-abortion" any more than I believe proponents of capital punishment want innocent people being executed. But then we begin getting into the realm of the underlying principles as pirana's post mentions.

Zach

I understand alot of people don't like abortion or the death penalty or like abortion and the death penalty or don't like abortion but like the death penalty, but I do not (and I have even tried debating this) understand how some one can abort a baby but not kill a mass murderer.

but I do not (and I have even tried debating this) understand how some one can abort a baby but not kill a mass murderer.

the obvious flaw with your canard here is that people don't abort babies.

A few days old cells does not make a "Baby"

the bible has zero consistency...

You will find whatever it is you're looking for in the bible. Some people are looking for inconsistencies, while others are looking to use it to justify their self serving/evil desires...yet others use it for more noble purposes. The bible tends to be a very good judge of character and acts like a mirror to expose who you really are. Some people simply don't like what they see so they try desperately to break it...

You shouldn't break mirrors, it's bad luck.

...and therefore is used as a tool for whoever is weak enough that they can't come up with a decent argument of their own.

It sounds like you're saying that using the bible can give you a decent argument - which makes sense since Santorum obviously didn't use the bible to make his argument against contraceptives.

Santorum's a f'n idiot.

What was that you were saying about Luke 6:37?

"Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. (20) There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

There are many colorful depictions of human history that we don't force onto our little ones in kindergarten...show-and-tell, finger painting and nap time is much more fun!

but I do not (and I have even tried debating this) understand how some one can abort a baby but not kill a mass murderer.

A few days old cells does not make a "Baby"

Aborted fetuses are typically much older than a few days, and many women chose to have late term abortions.

Then he shouldn't be telling everyone else that birth control is NOT OK. He (and other religious righties) should keep their noses out of other peoples' reproductive rights.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2012/02/bayer_aspirin_between_gals_kne.php :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ahhhh - hypocrisy in the name of God. Awesome.

Using scripture like a drunk uses a lamp-post - for support instead of illlumination. Awesome.

Actually, the original language is 'Thou Shalt Not Murder'.

We could quote bible verses all day, the bible has zero consistency and therefore is used as a tool for whoever is weak enough that they can't come up with a decent argument of their own.

Funny how you didn't have a problem with coming up with verses of your own that you *THOUGHT* rebutted my point.

It also still wouldn't take away from the fact that Santorum's a f'n idiot.

Because he's pro-life and supports the death penalty?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Anyone seeing Dr. Gosnell's clinic might have a disagreement with that statement.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There are many colorful depictions of human history that we don't force onto our little ones in kindergarten...show-and-tell, finger painting and nap time is much more fun!

At what age would you say is appropriate for a detailed study of these verses?

I have always preferred Ezekiel 25:17

At what age would you say is appropriate for a detailed study of these verses?

Hard to say...apparently some people are never ready.

I have always preferred Ezekiel 25:17

Nice choice Mr. Wolf...Jules would be proud.