CanuckInUSA

Obama's Keystone Cop-Out

Obama is playing politics with his Keystone cop-out. Obama could give a rats ass about an actual shovel ready project that would put approximately 20,000 Americans back to work and at the same time reduce America's dependency on Middle East Oil. Plus Obama could give a rats ass about fucking over his largest trading partner (again). The only thing that is important to Obama these days is being re-elected.

Read about Obama's Keystone cop-out in the WSJ here

Obama should have either accepted or rejected this pipeline now. Putting off the decision until after the 2012 election is pure political bullshit. Saying more studying is needed when billions of dollars have already been spent studying the pipeline to death for the last three years is laughable. Has Obama even looked at the existing network of pipelines already snaking through Canada and the USA? This guy is a complete joke. Then again his claim to fame before Hollywood decided to make him into their Messiah Superhero Savior of the Universe was nothing more than working as a community organizer.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Obama is playing politics with his Keystone cop-out. Obama could give a rats ass about an actual shovel ready project that would put approximately 20,000 Americans back to work and at the same time reduce America's dependency on Middle East Oil. Plus Obama could give a rats ass about fucking over his largest trading partner (again). The only thing that is important to Obama these days is being re-elected.

Read about Obama's Keystone cop-out in the WSJ here

Obama should have either accepted or rejected this pipeline now. Putting off the decision until after the 2012 election is pure political bullshit. Saying more studying is needed when billions of dollars have already been spent studying the pipeline to death for the last three years is laughable. Has Obama even looked at the existing network of pipelines already snaking through Canada and the USA? This guy is a complete joke. Then again his claim to fame before Hollywood decided to make him into their Messiah Superhero Savior of the Universe was nothing more than working as a community organizer.

Who owns the Wall Street Journal and its OPINION pages again???:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Obama should have either accepted the pipeline or rejected it ... rejected it now. This is pure political bullshit to put off a decision until after the 2012 election. But you are one of the biggest partisans around here, so I fully expected to get the usual bullshit response from you. :P

Obama should have either accepted the pipeline or rejected it ... rejected it now. This is pure political bullshit to put off a decision until after the 2012 election. But you are one of the biggest partisans around here, so I fully expected to get the usual bullshit response from you. :P

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BLah Blah Blah...

All those you support have been on a crusade to say NO to anything the American people need to put the country back on track...

Funny you seem quite good with all that NO NO NO

Too bad you cant vote in lockstep with all your fringe right buddies down here.:ph34r::ph34r:

All those you support have been on a crusade to say NO to anything the American people need to put the country back on track...

Do you really believe that Obama's so called jobs bill would "put the country back on track?" His dem buddies in congress don't want to vote on it. Repubs have other ideas on how to improve the economy, but no way will it get through the dem controlled senate which does nothing but say no no no to anything proposed by their opposition.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Do you really believe that Obama's so called jobs bill would "put the country back on track?" His dem buddies in congress don't want to vote on it. Repubs have other ideas on how to improve the economy, but no way will it get through the dem controlled senate which does nothing but say no no no to anything proposed by their opposition.

Yeah.. they have been voting to give it ALL to the 1% since the Reagan Presidency...

WELL DONE... they have managed to tank the economy:S:S:S

Obama must have missed the fact that the Chinese have been investing in the Alberta Oil Patch and in a pipeline to pump the product out to the Pacific.

If the US doesnt want the oil, the Chinese will gladly pay for it. They also take the long veiw on things.

Stupid election year politics indeed.

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Yeah.. they have been voting to give it ALL to the 1% since the Reagan Presidency...

Dems controlled the House throughout the Reagan and Bush I years, so just *how* did the Reps manage to 'tank the economy', pray tell?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Dems controlled the House throughout the Reagan and Bush I years, so just *how* did the Reps manage to 'tank the economy', pray tell?

I would think that as bright a boy as you purport to be.. you MIGHT be able to figure it out there bubba.

I know you are incapable of looking at the thousands of data points... that show a deficit that was less than 1 TRILLION before you TRUE BELIEVER of the TRICKLE got ahold of it.

give it? seems that you're implying that what a person has is a result of the govt giving it to them.

The proposals to improve the economy from those other than the Marxists in the White House and his buds in the Senate involve more than tax cuts. They involve things like for instance...what this thread is about. A national policy to drastically reduce the amount of oil we import from OPEC would be worth whatever higher price that requires. I think we can agree on that. Unfortunately it would contribute to inflation, but I think the overall benefit would be well worth it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I would think that as bright a boy as you purport to be.. you MIGHT be able to figure it out there bubba.

Oh, I figured it out just fine - like usual, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I know you are incapable of looking at the thousands of data points... that show a deficit that was less than 1 TRILLION before you TRUE BELIEVER of the TRICKLE got ahold of it.

So, remind me again who controlled the House when the Obama administration ran the deficit over 1T?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ahhh, to be able to go back to the days of a couple hundred billion deficits...wouldn't that be nice?

I know libs like to say that the tax rates under Clinton weren't so bad. So, how about we agree that would be great, as long as we also go back to that level of spending?

give it? seems that you're implying that what a person has is a result of the govt giving it to them.

The proposals to improve the economy from those other than the Marxists in the White House and his buds in the Senate involve more than tax cuts. They involve things like for instance...what this thread is about. A national policy to drastically reduce the amount of oil we import from OPEC would be worth whatever higher price that requires. I think we can agree on that. Unfortunately it would contribute to inflation, but I think the overall benefit would be well worth it.

Yes GIVE IT...as you and your fellow travellers have voted for those bought and paid for by the 1% and any fucking idea that will make them even more fabulously wealthy.

You TRICKLE downers.... fully support the GUSHERS that have flowed up to the 1%

Oh and last I checked... we are already getting a hell of a lot of that Canadian tar sands oill despite the SKY IS FALLING fringe right missives from Murdoch

Ahhh, to be able to go back to the days of a couple hundred billion deficits...wouldn't that be nice?

I know libs like to say that the tax rates under Clinton weren't so bad. So, how about we agree that would be great, as long as we also go back to that level of spending?

Personally I would prefer to see even less spending.... Get rid of the WARS on EVERYTHING...

Get rid of the police state that has been foisted on us in the name of keeping us safe... while sending off generation after generation of our young to try to police the rest of the world.

Being from Nebraska most my entire life, I'm very happy with the decision to hold off on this. Its not the existence of the pipeline that's the problem. Its that they want to route it through one of our most environmentally sensitive and last remaining wilderness areas in the state that haven't been turned to all cornfields. If the sandhills meant to others in the country what they meant to Nebraska, there would be a different tone from the rest of the country.

There is a lot of poor info on this from proponents of the pipeline. The aquifer is not the problem, the sandhills are the problem. I could write 4 pages on why a pipeline through the sandhills is a bad idea, but I don't have that tiem or energy at the moment. Nebraskan's don't oppose the pipeline, they just want it rerouted to follow the exisiting keystone pipeline outside the sandhills area. The oil companies want to cut throught the most environmentally sensitive area of the state just to save a few bucks and shorten the pipeline.

Some things don't have a price tag on them, and the sandhills is one of those things. Just reroute the dang thing, its only gonna be a drop in the bucket.

As far as why waiting till after the election to rule on it, I don't know, but there is more to it than just politics. Nebraska's governor is lobbying hard to get the route changed on this thing, but the rest of the country seems to have no problem sticking the screws to us if it means some oil company can save a couple million in construction costs. Pretty F'd up really.

Just wanted to get at least that side of the story out there. Not many "unspoiled" places left in this country, and this isn't one that I want to see go away.

The oil companies want to cut throught the most environmentally sensitive area of the state just to save a few bucks and shorten the pipeline.

I can understand your concerns and the people of Nebraska are not being blamed for this mess. TCPL and the various governments agencies have been at this planning process for 3+ years now and yes there is more than one route that had been planned. TCPL is not innocent, they could have been more accommodating with the alternate routes (and now they will pay for their stubbornness). The logical thing to do here would be to work together to address the concerns of Nebraska and select an alternate route. However what Nebraska is asking for and what Obama is doing are two different things. It is obvious what Obama is doing. Obama is more concerned about his political career than anything else. Obama is more concerned about appeasing the 1%ers who call Hollywood home because it is these elitists who Obama is relying on for all his money.

So much for the USA being the bastion of free enterprise and respecting due process. Under Obama's leadership, the USA is NOT open for business. This is not the first time Obama has fucked over his largest trading partner.

A lot of blame to go around.

In all fairness, though, Obama kicked the ball down the field to 2013 because it catered to the people he needed to vote for him.

It seems to have made them very happy. Big Oil / Big Corporation Bashing is all the rage nowadays.

However, both Canadian Companies and US companies are out a lot of money in the meantime and the industry newsletters figure that there is still a 50/50 chance this project will die.

In the meantime a lot of jobs that would have been really useful on both sides of the border are also punted downrange.

Despite the rhetoric, it wont matter a fiddlers damn to the overall climate change picture. Most of the CO2 emissions are from the end users using the product (i.e. vehicles/plants/factories), not from the exploration/exploitation. But this is not a fact based issue.

Even if it goes ahead with a new route, that route will add $500/million to the cost, add 18-24 months to the construction phase, and use a route that has already been determined that has a higher environmental impact.

It does drive home the point that one should never have one customer.

Canada, as a nation, needs to develop other markets for the oil along with the capacity to get it there.

Especially when the only customer is basing its business decisions on political and emotional criteria.

Or is more interested in Rick Perry's brain fart or Cain's Character...

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Canada, as a nation, needs to develop other markets for the oil along with the capacity to get it there.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said. I am however leery that getting a pipeline built from Alberta to some place like Kitimat. While they hold little power right now remember that the Liberals and the NDP were in favor of passing new laws outlawing tankers from operating out on the West coast (while no such laws would exist on the East coast). There is deep hatred among many on the Left for Canada's oil industry and yet one wonders where these people expect their equalization money to come from if they ever succeed in shutting down the Alberta and Saskatchewan economies.

The pipeline to Kitimat will be an equally long tough sled to get approval. The natives in the way have been very vocal in their opposition. I don't see that being less than a ten year process that is just getting started now. There is a right-of-way already in place along the existing pipeline route to Vancouver, and I expect that line will be twinned at some point for bitumen. The Kitimat route would keep more money in the north and is proposed by a Canadian firm as opposed to the US company that owns the Edmonton Vancouver line, but I just don't see it in the near or medium term. Kitimat also has water to use for upgrading.

There will be challenges in getting pipelines built to the BC Coast.

However the recession over the last few years has highlighted how much of an economic driver the oil industry is in Canada and we weathered the storm far better than other global economies.

There are a number of routes that can get developed in a responsible manner and the Keystone Cop fiasco may galvanize the political leadership into action.

It will take a lot of effort and time and money to address the political, environmental and economic issues.

I'd expect that it will take 10 to 20 years to get more meaningful pipeline capacity out to the BC coast.

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Nebraskan's don't oppose the pipeline, they just want it rerouted to follow the exisiting keystone pipeline outside the sandhills area.

This is old news from a few days ago, but TCPL has agreed to reroute the pipeline and it is my understanding that the Nebraska state politicians were happy to hear this and are presently debating the idea of funding their own environment assessments now. TCPL definitely dropped the ball on running the pipeline through the Sandhills in the first place. However Obama is still playing politics with this one as he knows approving the pipeline would mean his Hollywood money would dry up and Obama is more concerned about saving his job than he is about creating approximately 20,000 jobs for American construction workers and easing the burden on America's dependency on Middle East Oil.

However with all that said, Canada does need to build it's own pipeline(s) to the west coast and open up access to the Asian (Chinese) market where Canada would get a much better price.