BrokenR1

Legal / Illegal

>Yes yes, screw over all the people trying to do the right thing and come here legally.

Nope. Make sure everyone who wants to do the right thing and come here legally can. Right now they can't.

Sure they can. But first they have to learn English and take a civics exam.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d84d6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

The problem is, they don't care if they can communicate with the rest of the U.S. and they don't care about our values.

You try to explain so some people that it's not OK to wrap your daughter in chains and throw her in a pool, or it's not OK to bury your wife up to her neck and have the rest of the family stone her to death and all they have to say is "I don't speak English" in farsi or some other language, yea, Some people might have a problem with that.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>Sure they can. But first they have to learn English and take a civics exam.

Nope. Over 99% will be refused, no matter what they learn or what course they can pass.

>The problem is, they don't care if they can communicate with the rest of the U.S.
>and they don't care about our values.

Ben Franklin was bitching about that in the late 1700's. Those damn German "Palatine Boors" who refused to learn English, refused to teach their kids about the country they lived in, refused to participate in government. They could never acquire the "Complexion" of the English settlers, and would weaken the social structure of the colonies they lived in.

In the 1800's it was the Irish, those loutish drunks who didn't have a productive bone in them. The "name of 'Irish' has become identified in the minds of many, with almost every species of outlawry," which arose from "transient burst of undisciplined passion;
they were often "drunk, disorderly, fighting, etc.," "The Irish fill our prisons, our poor houses...Scratch a convict or a pauper, and the chances are that you tickle the skin of an Irish Catholic. Putting them on a boat and sending them home would end crime in this country."

"Irish need not apply."

Every generation has the immigrants who others claim won't fit in, refuse to learn the culture, refuse to learn the language etc. Indeed, having such people (and having people bitch about them) seems to be part of the historical foundation of the United States of America.

So be happy about that. Those people you are complaining are as much a part of our American heritage as you are - as are your complaints about them.

>You try to explain so some people that it's not OK to wrap your daughter in chains
>and throw her in a pool, or it's not OK to bury your wife up to her neck and have
> the rest of the family stone her to death and all they have to say is "I don't speak
> English" in farsi or some other language, yea, Some people might have a problem
> with that.

Funny, I have a problem with that whether they speak English or not. Maybe it's a liberal thing.

>You try to explain so some people that it's not OK to wrap your daughter in chains
>and throw her in a pool, or it's not OK to bury your wife up to her neck and have
> the rest of the family stone her to death and all they have to say is "I don't speak
> English" in farsi or some other language, yea, Some people might have a problem
> with that.

Funny, I have a problem with that whether they speak English or not. Maybe it's a liberal thing.

I'll give you a pass on that...;)

It's my point though. Coming to America legally ensures that they can communicate with other Americans (learning English), get a social security number or tax ID number, and perhaps maybe even learn that such things that they may have done in their country, such as commit honor killings, will not be tolerated in the U.S.

Also, as I have said before, when I go to other countries I respect their traditions. Just like when someone comes to our country, they can be who they are, just don't commit a grievous crime in our country that might be OK in theirs.

Do you know how hard it is to not have a beer for 9 months while visiting a Muslim country? But I knew not to do it no matter how much I wanted to because I entered the country legally. If I was caught sneaking a beer, they probably would have drug me into the town square and flogged me.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

You get a D on your paper right out of the blocks, just for leaving out citations and biblio.

Here, I'll do it for you:

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=561&noj=1&source=hp&q=joe+legal+vs+jose+illegal&oq=joe+legal+vs+jose+illegal&aq=f&aqi=g4g-v6&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=7087l7600l0l7907l5l5l0l0l0l4l252l894l0.4.1l5l0

But thanks for at least changing "Jose" to "Lee". Small steps, I guess.

Dunno about the other stuff, but illegal aliens are not eligible for that stuff. You have to have a social security number and papers showing that you're a permanent legal alien (i.e. not student, guest worker, etc).

I understand that in a lot of states, the "permanent legal aliens" who are eligible for aid include not only lawful permanent residents (green card holders), but also those who are PRUCOL.

PRUCOL==Permanently Residing Under Color of Law; it refers to people who do NOT have green cards but whose permanent presence in the USA is known to the feds. These could includes those who have applied for green cards, those whose removal (deportation) cases are still pending, those ordered removed but whose physical removal is not a priority.

It is certainly true that one cannot just sneak across the border and apply for welfare the next day. But there are definitely many strategies by which unlawful immigrants can (and do) get a foot in the door despite having had no legal basis to enter the country in the first place.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

In many areas they are

That is not bullshit

It is fact

Do you have any examples? I have personal knowledge about food stamps, TANF (welfare), CHIPS (children's insurance) and WIC in Texas. I've seen the forms, and help people to fill them out. You gotta show papers.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In many areas they are

That is not bullshit

It is fact

Do you have any examples? I have personal knowledge about food stamps, TANF (welfare), CHIPS (children's insurance) and WIC in Texas. I've seen the forms, and help people to fill them out. You gotta show papers.

Wendy P.

Yup, I'm quite familiar w/ all these programs + Housing assistance in Virginia.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"