JohnRich

How to stop school shootings

News:
'Last Day on Earth'

"So if universities really want to limit shootings, they’ll have to take a lot of steps that I can’t imagine them taking:
  1. They’ll have to group together to fight the NRA and push for gun control, including the elimination of all handguns, since handguns are made to kill people.
  2. They’ll have to require mental health background checks.
  3. They’ll have to flag anyone who has served in the military or been in the prison system.
  4. They’ll have to use metal detectors, more police at campus borders, etc."
Full story: Inside Higher Ed

Confiscate all handguns!
Mandatory mental health evaluations for all college students, annually!
Damn those dangerous veterans!
To hell with ex-cons trying to improve themselves!
Turn entire campuses into airport security zones!
Yeah, that's the solution.

I think school shootings are already "limited."

Maybe they meant "reduce." Zero would be nice.

Humans being the complicated, fragile, egotistical, vulnerable, emotional creatures they are - not very likely to happen. We'd have to put a big chunk of the population in jail, severely limit the rights of those allowed to remain "free" and spend incredible amounts of money.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think school shootings are already "limited."

Maybe they meant "reduce." Zero would be nice.

Humans being the complicated, fragile, egotistical, vulnerable, emotional creatures they are - not very likely to happen. We'd have to put a big chunk of the population in jail, severely limit the rights of those allowed to remain "free" and spend incredible amounts of money.

...and none of it would work. There's not one country in the world of any consequential size that doesn't have gun-related crime.

Luxembourg had a good record as far as murders are concerned. It's an old study but....:

Murders with firearms 0 (36th of 36)

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/lu-luxembourg/cri-crime

It appears to me that this country is slowly, but surely, working towards that end where Big Brother rules.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't think you can ever be 100% certain towards stopping violence such as school shootings. But the best way to try is to start at home. Start with the parents. Parents must be actively engaged in their children's lives. It is no guarantee, but it is still the best and easiest thing to do. Do not leave your children to be raised by the state. Do you job as parents and take an active role in their lives.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't think you can ever be 100% certain towards stopping violence such as school shootings. But the best way to try is to start at home. Start with the parents. Parents must be actively engaged in their children's lives. It is no guarantee, but it is still the best and easiest thing to do. Do not leave your children to be raised by the state. Do you job as parents and take an active role in their lives.

Yep. I've said it before, but it bears repeating. I am often surprised when I see kids behaving badly - regardless of the scale of the bad behavior. Then I meet the parents and almost always the surprise goes away.

I've coached kids that were so clingy and so in need of positive guidance that it truly made me sad to leave practice. Had an awkward moment when one of them wanted to go home with me and did not want to get in the parent's car; and I am a pretty demanding coach - not some pushover pussycat. Not saying I'm great or tooting my horn - but some of my player's parents have been that bad.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

The whole subject of school shootings is ridiculous. A child is way safer at school than any other possible place.

Historical evidence does not support your claim.

For the year 2008, There were 16 murders in US schools (including colleges)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

The same year, there were 1,789 children under the age of 18 murdered.

http://www.crimevictimservices.org/page/victimtypes/81

A child is almost 15 times more likely to be murdered by their own parents as opposed to being killed at school.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=UND#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=children+killed+by+parents+per+year&pbx=1&oq=CHILDFREN+KILLED+BY+PARENTS&aq=1sx&aqi=g-sx4&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=0l0l1l1200l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=4d90baad82b9465&biw=1366&bih=667

Last year, the US also saw the lowest murder rate in almost 50 years.

The whole subject of school shootings is ridiculous. A child is way safer at school than any other possible place.

And in 2007, there were 33 in one day. Schools are defenseless victim zones.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And in 2007, there were 33 in one day.

Indeed, loonies should not be allowed to own guns.

However, one incident does not constitute statistics, and jclalor is quite correct.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And in 2007, there were 33 in one day.

Indeed, loonies should not be allowed to own guns.

However, one incident does not constitute statistics, and jclalor is quite correct.

Funny how you don't have any problems using those same single incidents to support your arguments.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706