JohnRich

6th Grader Banned From Wearing Rosary Necklace Because it's a "Gang Symbol"

News:
6th Grader Banned From Wearing Rosary Necklace Because it's a "Gang Symbol"

"In Fremont, Omaha, sixth-grader Elizabeth Carey said she was told that she can't wear a rosary necklace because it violates the dress code at the Fremont Public Schools.

"'The principal said I couldn't wear my necklace at all because gangsters were wearing it,' Carey told KETV News.

Superintendent Steve Sexton defended the policy: 'We had information from law enforcement that there were documented instances of gang activity in the area and we had information that states that the rosary was being used as a symbol of gang affiliation.'

However, Omaha Rev. Joseph Taphorn defended the youngster: 'I don't think Christians should have to forfeit what is the symbol for the love of Christ because a few people want to misuse that symbol.'"
Full story: OpposingViews.com

You missed the "decide on a case by case basis" option. In some schools gangs are a big problem - and outlawing gang colors, if it cuts down on knife fights, might be a good idea.

This is not a generic poll - it's about THIS case, and involves only a rosary, nothing else.
Can you deal with that?

Gosh help us if a gang member ever stabs another gang member with a pencil, or hides a knife inside a hollowed-out schoolbook.

You missed the "decide on a case by case basis" option. In some schools gangs are a big problem - and outlawing gang colors, if it cuts down on knife fights, might be a good idea.

This is not a generic poll - it's about THIS case, and involves only a rosary, nothing else.
Can you deal with that?

Deciding on a case by case ... is no *generic* thing, or did I misunderstand something here?

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>Can you deal with that?

Sure can.

>gosh help us if a gang member ever stabs another gang member with a pencil,
>or hides a knife inside a hollowed-out schoolbook.

If students start bringing butter knives to school to turn them into stilettos in shop, then yes, the teacher/principal/superintendent might say "no butter knives in my school, and no making stilettos." That would likely be a good decision from someone entrusted with the safety of children.

Ask any non-Catholic married to a Catholic: it IS a gang symbol.

One could make the case that it is a symbol of one of the most powerfull and merciless gangs in human history.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Ask any non-Catholic married to a Catholic: it IS a gang symbol.

One could make the case that it is a symbol of one of the most powerfull and merciless gangs in human history.

As a former recovering Catholic I'll agree to that.

How does it go?

"Catholic school: better education through intimidation and humiliation"

I endured plenty of that in public school, believe me. I know people who quit public school and went to a Catholic school in order to escape that shit. And two of them weren't even Catholic.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------