dreamdancer

Occupy Wall Street Protests Poised to Grow Rapidly With Union Support

From your own link:

Also from my own link: Obama's 2008 campaign

I gave you the correct data for donations by G-S over the past decade.

Unattributed numbers, yes.

www.followthemoney.org/database/topcontributor.phtml?u=1130&y=0

Ah, no wonder you were confused...you were looking in a STATE politics site.

Showing overwhelming support for the GOP.

There's no way you can prove that G-S is some sort of liberal organization.

Goldman Sachs, number 25 on the Heavy Hitters list:

Rank Organization Total '89-'12 Dem % Repub %
25 Goldman Sachs $21,084,295 60% 39%

QED
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In the video I've seen, the OWSies can't hear the police megaphones because the OWSies are shouting them down in mass.

I agree with you. Only a pussy pink protester with no nuts/job would 'let' a police officer "corral" them away from their current location. They were sheep-stupid enough to be corralled out of a park onto the Brooklyn Bridge.

>i don't really think the protesters should be taking 'advice' from those on the bankers side

Who are you referring to? I'm not on the banker's side.

yes you are (put that champagne down). you've chosen your side - don't try to wriggle out now you're just making yourself look silly...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

"WE PROTEST! WE PROTEST! DOWN WITH BANKERS! WE DEMAND MORE CREDIT! WE DEMAND THAT . . . uh . . . you let us give you more money . . . uh . . . wait . . ."

what a vivid imagination you have (and you even put in quotes to make it sound as though someone said it when it was all in your own little head)...

Never mind that no one at the protests has said this, and that their General Assembly has yet to agree on remedies to their protest that focuses on corporate abuses, aided and abetted by Wall Street firms and their allies in real estate and insurance.

Instead, their accusers hammer protesters for things they believe they will say, not what they have said.

These “pinheads,” to use a Bill O’Reillyism, who defend the abstraction of a free market don’t let the facts get in the way of how we got into this mess.

They see the world as business-good versus government-bad, despite all the contradictions of government subsidies and bailouts of financial institutions that effectively collapsed thanks to their own fraudulent practices and the greed of those that run them, and, who have never seen an outrageous compensation package or over-sized bonus they would reject.

Never mind that Ayn Rand supporter and former Fed head Alan Greenspan’s admitted that fraud was pervasive in the lead-up to the financial collapse.

Never mind that it was Republican and former Goldman Sachs CEO Hank Paulson who first initiated the $700 billion TARP bailout of the big banks in 2007, and another Republican and original Bush appointee, Ben Bernanke, who secretly printed up trillions of dollars to spread like manna from heaven on banksters worldwide.

Never mind that many of the government remedies that the right denounce came about because of the predatory lending and racially discriminatory practices that “red-lined” minority communities in the late eighties and early 90’s denying homes to people of color.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/10/03-9

How many of the protesters know that the taxpayers actually made money on the bank bailouts.

Come on - when you don't even know what you're protesting about, you don't need to worry about facts. The Man can't disprove your nonsense if he doesn't know what it is.

Right now, as I write from the occupied Plaza, a mass arrest is taking place on Brooklyn Bridge, where 2,500 activists have marched to express their distaste for corporate greed. 'Banks got bailed out - we got sold out!' chanted the marchers, hesitantly at first, and then more confidently, keeping to the sidewalks, before they were led onto the car portion of the bridge by police - who promptly sealed the exits and began to arrest everybody.

The entrance to the Bridge is now completely sealed by a quadruple line of cops, as reports come in that a journalist from the New York Times has been arrested. Marchers on the other side yell angrily at the police to let their friends go. "Come join us!" they shout. "You are the ninety-nine percent!"

They mean that the police, like the protesters, are part of the "99 per cent' of the population whose livelihoods are threatened by the financial crisis, as opposed to the 1% of wealthy Americans still raking in profit. "We are the 99 percent," says the group on its Tumblr site. "We are getting kicked out of our homes. We are forced to choose between groceries and rent. We are denied quality medical care. We are suffering from environmental pollution. We are working long hours for little pay and no rights, if we are working at all. We are getting nothing while the other 1 percent is getting everything. We are the 99 percent." It's a very polite way of saying 'class war.'

The '99 percent' statistic has become emblematic of the American wing of what is phrasing itself as a global protest movement, taking its inspiration from square occupations in Egypt, Greece, Spain and Great Britain. Another statistic you can see daubed on placards around the Plaza is that the wealthiest 400 Americans have more combined wealth than the poorest 150 million. Later in the day, the United Steelworkers union becomes the latest in a growing list of labour organisations and non-profit groups to throw its support behind Occupy Wall Street, ahead of a united march next Wednesday.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/laurie-penny/2011/10/wall-street-york-police-bridge

Despite having no single leader and no organized agenda, the protesters insist they are on the verge of translating their broad expression of grievance into a durable national cause. “The criticism has focused on the lack of cohesion in our message and demands,” said Arthur Kohl-Riggs, 23, a political activist from Madison, Wis. But what the critics don’t understand, he said, is “the value of forming a direct democratic movement” that is not controlled by political elites.

The protests have drawn an assortment of anarchists, anti-globalization activists and disaffected 20-somethings from North Carolina, Minnesota and Wisconsin — the type of polyglot crowd that has been known to disrupt International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings. But the efforts have also drawn support from union members, including New York transportation workers who allowed some of the protesters to take shelter inside the subway system.

Brought together by outlets such as Twitter and Facebook, participants hope the New York protests can plant the seeds of a permanent national movement. The site www. occupytogether.org serves as a clearinghouse for information on the movement and includes a list of events around the country.

The primary theme is that corporate capitalists, backed by corrupt politicians, have tipped the balance of the economic system too far in favor of the powerful, thus condemning the regular guy to a sea of debt and little opportunity. As one sign put it: “The loan shark ate my world.”

The movement has struck a chord in some liberal New York circles, attracting celebrities such as actress Susan Sarandon and former New York governor David Paterson. It also got a seal of approval from one of the world’s most successful capitalists, billionaire George Soros, who said the demonstrators had every reason to be angry at the U.S. financial system for jeopardizing their future.

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/10/04-0

more...

Oct 4, 2011

Washington, DC —The Communications Workers of America Executive Board has endorsed the Occupy Wall Street Movement. Occupy Wall Street activists joined CWA members demonstrating for quality jobs at Verizon and Verizon Wireless, and CWA members will join the demonstrations to focus public attention on the impact of Wall Street’s greed on ordinary Americans.

Following is the CWA Executive Board’s statement:

The 700,000 members of the Communications Workers of America strongly support the Occupy Wall Street Movement. It is an appropriate expression of anger for all Americans, but especially for those who have been left behind by Wall Street. We support the activists’ non-violent efforts to seek a more equitable and democratic society based on citizenship, not corporate greed.

The Occupy Wall Street demonstrations are spreading throughout the country. We will support them and encourage all CWA Locals to participate in the growth of this protest movement.

http://www.cwa-union.org/news/entry/communications_workers_of_america_endorses_occupy_wall_street_movement#.TotGE0-8E50

We support the activists’ non-violent efforts to seek a more equitable and democratic society based on citizenship, not corporate greed.

When corporations can vote then they may have a point. Until then, they should be demonstrating against personal greed. For example, when a group of people says that they deserve more and others should get less, doesn't that indicate greed?

If you're honest you'll say, "Yes." It's greed on the part f the protesters. Nothing but. THey are what they despise. Companies are, at least, honest that they are in the business of making money.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

more solidarity...

Occupy Wall Street is gearing up for a massive march Wednesday that will be joined by a long list of unions and, now, the country's largest nurses' union, with 170,000 members. Eloquent video from some of those already there.

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2011/10/04-6

College debt shows up a lot in these stories, actually. It’s more insistently present than housing debt, or even unemployment. That might speak to the fact that the protests tilt towards the young. But it also speaks, I think, to the fact that college debt represents a special sort of betrayal. We told you that the way to get ahead in America was to get educated. You did it. And now you find yourself in the same place, but buried under debt. You were lied to.

“Married mother of 3. Lost my job in 2009. My family lost our health insurance, our savings, our home, and our good credit. After 16 months, I found a job -- with a 90 mile commute and a 25 percent pay cut. After gas, tolls, daycare, and the cost of health insurance, i was paying so my kids had access to health care.”

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/10/04-11

moving to second gear...

As the grassroots sit-ins and marches that originated as Occupy Wall Street spread to other cities, Van Jones, lead evangelist for the American Dream movement, took the stage Monday at a Washington, DC hotel where organizers of the institutional element of the progressive movement converged at Take Back the American Dream. The gathering was organized by the Campaign for America's Future in partnership with Jones' new organization, Rebuild the Dream. Jones voiced his support for the spontaneous Wall Street uprising, and for the U.S. Marines who agreed, he said, to protect the protesters while wearing dress blues.

http://www.alternet.org/vision/152616/van_jones_on_america%27s_uprising%3A_it%27s_going_be_an_epic_battle/

Well, yeah. The unions want more money. "safer working conditions" aren't something for Wall Street protests. Rather, unions are pissed off that there is money going to non-union executives and they want more of it.

You haven't disagreed.

I thought this article was pretty good... I'm shocked and appalled listening to interviews with OWS participants. Clueless drivel...

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/letter-new-york-city-protestors

Dear protesters in New York City,

You are not 99 percent of America. I don't mean that in the obvious numerical sense. If 99 percent of Americans had actually joined your march, Manhattan would have flipped over by now.

What I mean is that if 99 percent of Americans actually sympathized with your cause, the entire nation's economy would have collapsed long ago -- apparently to the delight of the organizers of this current protest.

What I mean to say is, you have a marketing problem.

When you decided to sit in traffic and block the Brooklyn Bridge a few days ago, with that blazing pink "SMASH PATRIARCHY-SMASH CAPITALISM" sign in hand, you probably didn't see the regular people you stranded in traffic.

You know, the ones with real-world concerns, business to attend to, families to go home to, et cetera. You may have read about such people during college in a book called "The Petit Bourgeoisie," or something like that. Many of us grew up calling them "the middle class."

Whatever you call them, they are hurting badly in this economy, probably more than you are. (I'm just judging by that sweet digital video camera I see you holding out in front of the cops, in hopes of provoking them into a viral-video police brutality incident.)

Those people you left stuck in traffic have a hard time paying their bills and rents and health insurance and mortgages. They worry about things like finding decent schools for their children to attend and making sure they don't get fired at work, and fixing leaking roofs and chimneys.

You know what they don't worry about, ever? Smashing patriarchy and capitalism.

So when your organizers go on television and say things like, "It's revolution, not reform!" and they're not joking, those words might give some of these narrow-minded people an unpleasant, October 1917 kind of feeling.

I know you'll find this hard to believe, but these regular people probably weren't very happy to see you on that bridge, carrying your preprinted black and yellow protest sign that hundreds of you got straight from the communist Workers' World Party (or one of its less frighteningly named affiliates). So incensed was one Ground Zero construction worker that he called you "g-ddamned hippies" in the New York Post.

And that underscores the problem with the 100-plus million people who work for a living in this country. They lack an enlightened perspective that would show them how your camping trip in lower Manhattan has already helped their lives.

See, regular people don't like banks any more than you do. But when they go to buy houses for their families to live in, they often find that they don't have half a million dollars stuffed in their mattresses. So they shortsightedly embrace financial imperialism, otherwise known as a mortgage.

They also worry about corporations, because they're big and powerful. But then, they'd love to own one of those sweet video cameras like yours, and they perceive that they can only buy one if an evil corporation can turn an obscene profit making and selling it.

So the point is, real-life things blind people to the great class struggle you're waging in lower Manhattan. You, and the rest of America's three-tenths of one percent.

You can take some consolation from that next year when you sacrifice your principles, abandon the Global People's Liberation Party (or whatever), and vote to re-elect President Obama.

David Freddoso is The Examiner's online opinion editor and the author of Gangster Government. He can be reached at [email protected].
We are all engines of karma

much more pithy...

As our forebears liberated America from rule by a distant king and the British East India Company, the time has come to liberate America from Wall Street and reclaim the power Wall Street has usurped. It is time to establish democracy in America and build a national system of Main Street economies owned and accountable to people who have an inherent interest in building healthy communities with thriving local economies and healthy natural environments for themselves and their children. By the calendar it’s autumn, but for many it is the beginning of the American Spring.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/10/05

much more pithy...

As our forebears liberated America from rule by a distant king and the British East India Company, the time has come to liberate America from Wall Street and reclaim the power Wall Street has usurped. It is time to establish democracy in America and build a national system of Main Street economies owned and accountable to people who have an inherent interest in building healthy communities with thriving local economies and healthy natural environments for themselves and their children. By the calendar it’s autumn, but for many it is the beginning of the American Spring.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/10/05

Sounds groovy. Now - any specifics on what to do and how to do it? For example, how much money needs to be stolen and from whom to make this fantasy another non-reality because, well, there are still people out there with too much and we've got to take it from them because they are causing problems..

Seriously - is there any part of this utopian anti-money plan that doesn't involve stealing money? Is there any part of this anti-greed plan that doesn't involve greed?

And - is there any way for anybody to opt out of the plan? Let's say they succeed. Will I be able to say, "no thanks?" Or does freedom stop in the name of freedom?

learn from history...

The labor rally will signal just how far unions have come since that infamous day 41 years ago, when bands of construction workers rampaged through the Financial District and City Hall. Back then, the hardhats brutally beat scores of youths protesting the Vietnam War.

Now the young people and the unions are on the same side.

"The whole order of things today is absolutely upside down," said John Samuelsen, president of the Transport Workers Union Local 100. "Tax breaks for millionaires, working people suffer, and no jobs for these kids."

Establishment critics of the Zuccotti Park events have no clue what is happening. By setting up camp near the scene of Wall Street's still-unpunished crimes, and by persevering round the clock for nearly three weeks, these kids have created a boot camp for social change.

There was, for instance, the wide-eyed couple newly arrived yesterday from Catasauqua, Pa. Colin Muth and Taylor Anderson, both 20, were clutching backpacks and sleeping blankets under their arms.

"We came because we've got to do something to reduce the wealth gap," Muth said.

"I had to drop out of community college because I can't afford it," Anderson said. "We're here to learn how this is done so we can go back home and occupy Bethlehem."

Did they tell their parents before they left home?

"Sure," Muth said. "And my dad said, 'Go for it.'"

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/10/05-2

Learn from history.

Think for oneself.

And above all, ask "How did this happen?"

Now the young people and the unions are on the same side.

Here's how it happened. Unions see young people as a source of revenue. It's why young people aren't seeking out unions but the other way around.

"Tax breaks for millionaires, working people suffer, and no jobs for these kids."

Ask "how did this happen?" Why did millionaires get tax breaks? And then ask, "Why is it called a tax break if I'm paying hundreds of thousands per year in taxes while 50% of the country pays none?"

Then ask, "Why are working people suffering?" The Great Society started in 1965. 45 years of it makes kids out of work and people suffer.

Learn from history. It didn't work. It has never worked. It's not going to work. (Actually, not working, never working and not going to work seems to be what the ultimate goal of the protesters. Not working).

these kids have created a boot camp for social change

Boot camp is also called "indoctrination" and requires organized leadership. Ever notice that "power to the people" always includes, "and I shall be their leader?"

"We came because we've got to do something to reduce the wealth gap," Muth said.

There's an easy way to do that - start a business.

"I had to drop out of community college because I can't afford it," Anderson said.

So this person cannot afford $15 per credit but can afford to make a 90 mile trip to do nothing?

Want to know why the income gap is so bad? Because people like Anderson decide that they don't want to work a job to pay for community college but have sufficient resources to go to Wall Street to protest the unfairness of it all.

I've got a lesson for Anderson - there is no money in being a volunteer protester. Want to lower the income gap? Do something besides protest. Even Abbie Hoffman eventually came to the conclusion that he was irrelevant in the long run and offed himself.

Tell me, dreamdancer, how do people like Anderson and Muth make the world a better place?

Tell me, dreamdancer, what have Anderson and Muth done to give someone a job? What have they done to improve the lives of anybody - themselves include?

I'll tell you - they haven't done shit!!! Dropped out of community college because it was unaffordable? With no family or anything?

Did they tell their parents before they left home?

They are both 20? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! What pussies!!! They told their parents! And the dad said go for it?

So we can't blame Anderson and Muth, I guess. We can blame the parents for turning their kids into chickenshit losers who can afford to go to New York to protest but cannot afford community college.

I've changed my position on targeted strikes. The greatest threat to America is parents who turn out losers like that.