jgoose71

The Herman Cain 9-9-9 Plan

Everything the right has put out has been bashed and stomped on, how many good ideas have been shelved because of the political system. I am not saying that the 999 plan is good or bad ( i think it has some good points that need to be looked into) but the one we have now is definately not good and we need to look at all options.

Everything the right has put out has been bashed and stomped on, .

National Review IS part of the right. Clearly some of the folks on the right recognize Cain's nonsense.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

National Review IS part of the right. Clearly some of the folks on the right recognize Cain's nonsense.

Everyone is bashing it, even others in the recent debate, the problem they see with 999 is that it takes the money and control out of Washington.

Everyone is bashing it, even others in the recent debate, the problem they see with 999 is that it takes the money and control out of Washington.

It's nonsense, poorly thought out nonsense.
www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/10/herman-cain

Is that what you teach your students? just bash any Idea and close your mind to it? You are telling me there is not one good idea in his plan? not one little piece of the entire plan that could be good?

Is that what you teach your students? just bash any Idea and close your mind to it? You are telling me there is not one good idea in his plan? not one little piece of the entire plan that could be good?

The plan stands or falls as a whole, not in pieces.
My students are good at math. They recognize nonsense without my assistance.

Even Grover Norquist thinks it a bad plan.

Why do yoiu think it is a bad plan?

It's a perfect example of Einstein's dictum: "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong".

It's a perfect example of Einstein's dictum: "For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong".

I asked what you thought was wrong with the 999 plan. I don't think Einstein has any idea what is right or wrong about it.

>but the one we have now is definately not good and we need to look at all
>options.

One thing that _is_ good about the 9-9-9 plan is that right wingers are admitting we need more taxes. Even if it's a bad plan, at least they are starting to come around to the fact that we have to close the deficit hole.

>but the one we have now is definately not good and we need to look at all
>options.

One thing that _is_ good about the 9-9-9 plan is that right wingers are admitting we need more taxes. Even if it's a bad plan, at least they are starting to come around to the fact that we have to close the deficit hole.

No the right is not saying we need more taxes, the right wants all people to pay some taxes and the bigger users to pay more. In this plan the more you buy the more you pay. All people paying something and the bigger users paying more, what could be more fair? not to mention all imports would now be subject to federal tax when purchased.

>he didn't say we needed more taxes . . .

Herman Cain plans to add a national sales tax on top of our current income taxes. (note that word "add" - I know math gives some right wingers trouble)

and some say it would not produce more revenue than is already being collectected. It would also reduce the total number of different collection methods (like capital gains andretirement accounts) at this time. so yes it would add a national sales tax it would be revenue nutral, less # of avenues to collect tax and simplified.

Herman Cain plans to add a national sales tax on top of our current income taxes. (note that word "add" - I know math gives some right wingers trouble)

I'm pretty sure he considers this a stepping stone to a Fair tax concept - like the 4-40 plan.......

seems a silly way to go about it

that said - I resonated most with Paul and Cain in the last debate. A little with Mitt. (mainly because they consistently came back to individual and state's rights vs collectivism more than anyone else).

Santorum was just a whiner. Newt is sharp, but seemed flat (VP or advisor would be his best role). I don't trust Perry more than I could throw him since he's a guy that demonstrates the time honored position of buying votes. Bachmann is just too bi-polar to ever take seriously.

the whole "ball room brawl" thing - I didn't see, seemed pretty tame compared to what we know the final candidate will have to deal with.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Newt is sharp, but seemed flat

Playing in the wrong key?

Just proving he's not a natural.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Evidently it gives left wingers more problems - last time I looked, 9% is less than 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33% and 35%.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>and some say it would not produce more revenue than is already being collectected.

Yes, some do say that adding a new tax would not produce more revenue that is already being created.

On the plus side, the IRS could add a whole new division for implementation and enforcement of this new tax. Perhaps they could have a Form 99A to account for sales tax from small businesses, 99B to account for tax from large businesses, 99C to account for sales tax from sole proprietorships etc. They could have forms you could file to request relief as a reseller, so you don't have to pay tax twice. They could have forms to pro-rate sales tax on used cars so that people don't have to pay all that sales tax twice. And for the inevitable exemptions (i.e. reducing sales tax for our brave men and women serving overseas) why, we could have a form for that, too.

Of course in the new "paperless" IRS they could replace some of those forms with websites they set up; just enter your social security number and the government will take care of all your sales tax needs.

And of course you'd have to ban cash for many transactions, like Florida did. Too many people would try to get around this new tax if you could pay cash for things.

Could be a great economic recovery plan! Think of all the new IRS jobs.

Evidently it gives left wingers more problems - last time I looked, 9% is less than 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33% and 35%.

the idea of subtracting taxes is as foreign to leftists as imaginary numbers.

It's pretty obvious, Bill, that 35 down to 9 overwhelms the additional 9 for the sales tax. And that's the problem. Hardly possible for this to be revenue neutral.

>It's pretty obvious, Bill, that 35 down to 9 overwhelms the additional 9 for the sales tax.

Glad to see you acknowledge the addition of a new tax.

>And that's the problem. Hardly possible for this to be revenue neutral.

Agreed. It adds a new tax, with all the additional complexity and overhead that implies, while significantly decreasing the government's revenue. And decreasing revenue when we are 14 trillion dollars in debt can only make sense to a Tea Partyer.

Or perhaps they just aren't happy with a black man leading in polls?

As an actual solution, you know how good his plan is. But as a election ploy it has proven to be brilliant as it catapulted a guy that was as irrelevant as a third party Jesse Jackson into the latest alternative to Mitt Romney. He wasn't running a serious campaign before, wasn't going to bother with many states. Now he's scrambling to take advantage of a small window of opportunity to actually win the thing.

So of course the others are trashing him and the plan non stop. Even though the party generally supports a flat tax. It could have been Einstein's theory of relativity and they'd still be doing it.