SpeedRacer

What's behind partisan politics

Apropos of not much at all...

www.marketwatch.com/story/why-would-anyone-want-to-weaken-the-economy-2011-08-31?reflink=MW_GoogleNews&google_editors_picks=true

Republicans are urging the Federal Reserve to back off at the same time that they are demanding fiscal restraint. The double whammy from tighter fiscal policy and neutered monetary policy could be expected to weaken the economy.

Now why would anyone want to weaken the economy? It’s impossible to know anyone’s motives for certain, but Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell probably tipped his hand when he said: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

From Investors.com

When you hear every single liberal media outlet in the country say, "We will know more about Rick Perry after we vet his 11 years in office," you need to understand that what they vindictively mean is: "President Obama and his followers will be proud of us after we are done with the mother of all smearing campaigns against the conservative governor of Texas."

and

With exactly that mission in mind, an editor of a major newspaper told me: "We plan to declare war on Rick Perry and do all in our power to crush him."

There you have it. No pretense of integrity, professionalism or of unbiased news-gathering. This particular newspaper plans to use its very considerable resources to destroy the Perry campaign before it gains momentum. Period.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Both posts underscore the point.

Maybe we should switch to a zero-party system. Instead of belonging to a team, each person would choose their positions on each topic a la carte. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice if politicians would concentrate on working FOR the country instead of AGAINST the other team.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Both posts underscore the point.

Maybe we should switch to a zero-party system. Instead of belonging to a team, each person would choose their positions on each topic a la carte. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice if politicians would concentrate on working FOR the country instead of AGAINST the other team.

Perhaps a system of proportional representation would get us moving in the direction you suggest. No more of this single-member district plurality bullshit. I'd be all for it.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

What's behind partisan politics? The desire to win ...

Both sides are equally guilty of their partisan politics and as long as there are more than one way to skin the cat, partisan politics will always be with us. What is sad (both sides are guilty of doing this) is when one side is willing to sabotage some aspect of society (be it the economy or be it something else) in order to gain political points. Anyone who denies that both sides are guilty of this, is I am afraid to say a partisan themselves.

They all suck, but depending on your preferences, some suck more than the others.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

...at all costs...and the citizens pay for it in the end.

Both sides are equally guilty of their partisan politics

...as has always been the case.

...as long as there are more than one way to skin the cat, partisan politics will always be with us.

I can see no end in sight. Americans will take it up the butt from now 'till doomsday.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Both sides are equally guilty of their partisan politics and as long as there are more than one way to skin the cat, partisan politics will always be with us. What is sad (both sides are guilty of doing this) is when one side is willing to sabotage some aspect of society (be it the economy or be it something else) in order to gain political points. Anyone who denies that both sides are guilty of this, is I am afraid to say a partisan themselves.

They all suck, but depending on your preferences, some suck more than the others.

The divide is not so much over differences in which way to skin the cat. It's more like differences in which cat should be skinned.

From Investors.com

***When you hear every single liberal media outlet in the country say, "We will know more about Rick Perry after we vet his 11 years in office," you need to understand that what they vindictively mean is: "President Obama and his followers will be proud of us after we are done with the mother of all smearing campaigns against the conservative governor of Texas."

With exactly that mission in mind, an editor of a major newspaper told me: "We plan to declare war on Rick Perry and do all in our power to crush him."

There you have it. No pretense of integrity, professionalism or of unbiased news-gathering. This particular newspaper plans to use its very considerable resources to destroy the Perry campaign before it gains momentum. Period.

Now the outrage when your guy is going to have a magnifying glass up his ass... Where was all this outrage at Fox?

“The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

From my somewhat removed and distant (but interested) perspective, the above is exactly what I have been witnessing in this forum for many years. The one side would rather see America fail when the other side is in power, than to do anything to help America succeed.

The schadenfreude mentality is pervasive, although I notice it more so from the Reps than the Dems.

“The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

From my somewhat removed and distant (but interested) perspective, the above is exactly what I have been witnessing in this forum for many years. The one side would rather see America fail when the other side is in power, than to do anything to help America succeed.

The thing is, I am not sure who would have made a better president, McCain or Obama.

But I feel a lot more sure that if McCain had won, the economy would be doing pretty much the same thing it's doing now.

So it makes you wonder about the value of all the partisan BS.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

The thing is, I am not sure who would have made a better president, McCain or Obama.

That is something else that confuses us non-Americans. Just how much can be attributed to the President in office, given your system of the House and the Senate. The President has some executive powers, some veto powers, but at the end of the day surely it is Congress which makes the decisions?

So it makes you wonder about the value of all the partisan BS.

Indeed.