normiss

Awesome things "god" does.

The fact remains, it's absurd to think that first generation Christians knowingly made up such a story and stuck with it to their death.

No it isn't. Just about every religion has had its martyrs, yet according to you all religions but yours involve made-up stories.

When you learn the difference in the thread, we can continue. You're still stuck on a strawman.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

The fact remains, it's absurd to think that first generation Christians knowingly made up such a story and stuck with it to their death.

No it isn't. Just about every religion has had its martyrs, yet according to you all religions but yours involve made-up stories.

When you learn the difference in the thread, we can continue. You're still stuck on a strawman.

Translation - you were wrong but can't admit it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why is it absurd?

Because, again, people don't die for something they know is a lie when they have nothing to gain. And they certainly don't do it in countless numbers.

The original assertion was that the original Christians knowingly made up a lie. Why would they do this? To gain power? No. Money? No. Prestige? No. They lost all of that as well as their lives. Did they make it up because they thought they'd go to heaven and be rewarded by Jesus? No, of course not. Because that is completely inconsistent with, "They knowingly made up a lie." Why would they expect to be rewarded in heaven, or be on the right side of Armageddon, if they KNOW they just made it up. It would be like expecting Tolkein to get all excited that Frodo destroyed the ring, and really believe it, when he KNOWS he's the author of the books and he stemmed the entire story from his imagination (or even better, knows he's actively lying to others about it's reality).

You can argue first gen Christians may be mistaken in what they believe, but to say they knowingly made up Christ (among other things), goes against everything we know about human behavior as they had nothing to gain and everything to lose (and did).

Translation - you were wrong but can't admit it.

Your free to believe what you want. I won't lose sleep over it.

>From what I hear they are expecting trumped up rewards in heaven.

Yep.

"The red cross that the Templars wore on their robes was a symbol of martyrdom, and to die in combat was considered a great honor that assured a place in heaven."

"Celebrate us, the martyrs of the conservative revolution, for we will soon dine in the Kingdom of Heaven" - Andrew Berwick

>Christians died at the hands of others in an attempt to spread the
>message of God's love.

And around a million Muslims died defending their religion against the "message of God's love" during the Crusades.

Why is it absurd?

Because, again, people don't die for something they know is a lie when they have nothing to gain. And they certainly don't do it in countless numbers.

The original assertion was that the original Christians knowingly made up a lie. Why would they do this? To gain power? No. Money? No. Prestige? No. They lost all of that as well as their lives. Did they make it up because they thought they'd go to heaven and be rewarded by Jesus? No, of course not. Because that is completely inconsistent with, "They knowingly made up a lie." Why would they expect to be rewarded in heaven, or be on the right side of Armageddon, if they KNOW they just made it up. It would be like expecting Tolkein to get all excited that Frodo destroyed the ring, and really believe it, when he KNOWS he's the author of the books and he stemmed the entire story from his imagination (or even better, knows he's actively lying to others about it's reality).

You can argue first gen Christians may be mistaken in what they believe, but to say they knowingly made up Christ (among other things), goes against everything we know about human behavior as they had nothing to gain and everything to lose (and did).

You ever think that maybe the one's dying weren't the ones telling the lie? It's possible some were lying, creating converts, for governmental and religious subversion.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

You ever think that maybe the one's dying weren't the ones telling the lie? It's possible some were lying, creating converts, for governmental and religious subversion.

Yes...that's it...anything but the alternative. Anything but what the Bible says they did and for the reason they did it...based on what they saw, experienced, and refused to deny. We'll believe anything as long as it's not in the Bible.

Yes...that's it...anything but the alternative. Anything but what the Bible says they did and for the reason they did it...based on what they saw, experienced, and refused to deny. We'll believe anything as long as it's not in the Bible.

Bible could use just a shred of corroborative evidence, like I don't know, a history book?
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Bible could use just a shred of corroborative evidence, like I don't know, a history book?

Like the writings of the ancient historian Josephus?

Verifying that certain people or places listed in the bible existed in history and were mentioned by a 1st century historian is a far cry from corroborating the happenings of the life of Jesus put forth in the gospels, and not put to paper until 60 years or more after his death, after everyone who would have had any first hand knowledge of his doings would be long dead. We can't keep a game of telephone going as an ice breaker for 15 minutes without losing the original meaning, and you can with a straight face tell me someone who had only second hand knowledge of the life of an obscure Jewish man who died 60 years prior got it all right? Let me guess, here is where "inspired by God" comes in, right?

My original point is that there are plausible alternatives to "they died for what they believed in, so it must be true". We as a people have been manipulating others to die for our causes forever.

Not really.

Modern mediums often genuinely believe they can talk to spirits or read minds even as they're using well practiced cold readng techniques to produce sham readings.

That people who met Jesus could have genuinely believed he was the son of god and also made stuff up about him are not mutually exclusive concepts.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

***Actually, it's not. The finer details you could argue over, but there's no doubt whatsoever that they truly believed a guy named Christ was crucified and rose from the dead.

People are duped into believing absurd things all the time. Many are so fooled that they will willingly place their life on the line for their false belief.
One example is all the dead and maimed for life US soldiers who fell for the "Saddam has weapons of mass destruction"lie.

And around a million Muslims died defending their religion against the "message of God's love" during the Crusades.

I don't know about you, but I can't find any justification for the crusades in the Bible. The crusaders did not wage holy war, just another immoral war. Jesus said that many people would claim to do wonderful things in Gods name but Jesus said I will tell them plainly depart from Me, you evil doers. I knew you not.

[repl]I don't know about you, but I can't find any justification for the crusades in the Bible. The crusaders did not wage holy war, just another immoral war. Jesus said that many people would claim to do wonderful things in Gods name but Jesus said I will tell them plainly depart from Me, you evil doers. I knew you not.

It began due to Muslim aggression. What it turned into wasn't anthing to be proud of. However, the focus and criticism, as usual, seems to always fall on the Christian Crusaders.

I just find your bias remarkable...

I am not allowed to respect people that show a huge amount of self-discipline?
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

I couldn't resist inserting the stick and stirring!
:D

Didn't you get the memo, shit is to be shaken, not stirred!
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

I just find your bias remarkable...

I am not allowed to respect people that show a huge amount of self-discipline?

Respect who you want, I don't care.

Matthew 6:5-7
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

"And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

...Just sayin'
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Like the writings of the ancient historian Josephus?

And Josephus is one who describes multiple Dæmons of the 4 realms. "Igneous, this order of dæmons haunts the air above, the second occupies the air contiguous to us; Aireal, the third is Earthly, the forth the aqueous and Marine, the fifth the Subterranean and the last the Lucifugus". In mythology, in order to explain the natural wonders, occurrences, and disasters they couldn't explain gods and beings were invented.

Matthew 6:5-7
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

"And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

...Just sayin'

Exactly, the only Muslims I know who pray, when they are not in Mosque, go into a back room and close the door and pray in private. Never seen 'em throw out a rug on a street corner (even ones don't know).

But I have seen others on street corners, in tents, and on the street corners, praying and preaching.

....Just sayin'

Exactly, the only Muslims I know who pray

I wasn't talking about muslims...

But I have seen others on street corners, in tents, and on the street corners, praying and preaching.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...