Frankyspanky

Nuclear disaster unfolding in the USA right now...?

I don't know what to think of this, a overfilled ground level open topped spent fuel rod pool is about to be flooded and ever rising floodwaters have broken levies and are threatening a nuclear disaster of massive proportions. What sort of information is given to us from our 'free media'?

Fuck all.

If you don't know the Missouri river flows into the Mississippi which flows into the Gulf of Mexico.

There could be highly radioactive material flowing down these overfilled waterways very soon.

Maybe, maybe not. A media blackout on it is not a good thing, we should be preparing for the worst in order to save lives.

I am not going to post a link to avoid the usual ad hominem, but I strongly suggest that EVERYBODY does at least a little research into it.

Just search US nuclear disaster and look at the latest results…

If you live by these waterways... think about a plan, if you have family or friends by them, inform them.

I certainly hope this is just some hype, but it is increasingly looking like it is not.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

No problem here. I'm upstream.

We could just as easily blame lots of other forces that made it so difficult to relocate spent fuel to a safer location.

You mean like how billions were spent in the state of Nevada only to have them go all NIMBY? You mean that?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, grab all your guns and load 'em up in the truck. I'm sure you have nothing to fear. ;)

how quaint...

don't worry... the government will provide for all your needs too I'm sure.

Dude, there's times you're fucked government, guns or no.

Just ask the people in Japan that had a tidal wave wash over them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>I don't know what to think of this, a overfilled ground level open topped
>spent fuel rod pool is about to be flooded and ever rising floodwaters have
>broken levies and are threatening a nuclear disaster of massive
>proportions.

The waters crested a week ago and have been receding ever since. Where do you get your information? Are you watching FOX or something?

>A media blackout on it is not a good thing

Agreed. Fortunately there is no media blackout. A very quick Google search revealed 422 news articles.

I am not going to post a link to avoid the usual ad hominem

You mean like a link from alternet?

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

From an album hitting the charts at number 40 back in 1990, here's a song about a real nuclear disaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fDfmWm5l-M
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The waters crested a week ago and have been receding ever since. Where do you get your information? Are you watching FOX or something?

I'm actually trying to read anything I can on it.

What I do know is that there is next to nothing on my news about the fire which shorted out the electical systems to the spent fuel containment vessel.

What damage is already done?
The Flood waters are expected to linger around until August.

there is alot of snow still up there, and it all comes in one direction.

what do you think the chances of heavy rain in the tribitaries between now and August?

Agreed. Fortunately there is no media blackout. A very quick Google search revealed 422 news articles.

oooh 422 news articles. For a country with a free press, hundreds of millions of people and a very near or possible nuclear disaster. that is pretty fucking weak. and considering there are over 100 million websites out there and this has been gong on for a couple of weeks that is very, very minimal.

The news is supposed to keep us informed about such things, we should not be expected to search out information about this.

I sure hope you are right but the lack of interest in this from the media has me concerned... they should be all over it like a rash.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

I'm actually trying to read anything I can on it.

What I do know is that there is next to nothing on my news about the fire which shorted out the electical systems to the spent fuel containment vessel.

What damage is already done?
The Flood waters are expected to linger around until August.

there is alot of snow still up there, and it all comes in one direction.

what do you think the chances of heavy rain in the tribitaries between now and August?

oooh 422 news articles. For a country with a free press, hundreds of millions of people and a very near or possible nuclear disaster. that is pretty fucking weak. and considering there are over 100 million websites out there and this has been gong on for a couple of weeks that is very, very minimal.

The news is supposed to keep us informed about such things, we should not be expected to search out information about this.

I sure hope you are right but the lack of interest in this from the media has me concerned... they should be all over it like a rash.

This should help: http://www.depend.com/mens-solutions

Honestly, the situation is no secret. Starting point for research here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Calhoun_Nuclear_Generating_Station

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Honestly, the situation is no secret. Starting point for research here: http://en.wikipedia.org/...r_Generating_Station

Obviously it is not a secret, we are talking about it and there is a bunch of information out there, though conflicting.
There is not nearly enough interest in it from the media.

If it is no big deal to you, try informing us all about your knowledge of the power out that prevented the cooling system form working for a period of time... and how that may have impacted the safety of the plant.

Then tell us how this is not of National (global) importance? What news report did you see on it and on what channel?
Ron Paul

fear is a bad motivation in the hopes of earning a buck

History will tell us it is a very lucrative motivation however... what is stopping the drones of eager reporters this time?
Ron Paul

fear is a bad motivation in the hopes of earning a buck

History will tell us it is a very lucrative motivation however... what is stopping the drones of eager reporters this time?

The boomers are smart and scared to spend money right now...The hot demographic used to be 25-54, but now it's 18-49...It will soon change and the media will concentrate on the 18-34 demographic basically because they are more prone to stupidity and represent a long term investment...that is as long as they can stay alive.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I know, right? And you know what else, guess how many articles there are about Obama selling Texas to the Pakistanis in return for them hiding bin Laden? NONE!!!

- Dan G

>What I do know is that there is next to nothing on my news about the
>fire which shorted out the electical systems to the spent fuel containment
>vessel.

Yes. The fire was out, and power restored, within an hour, and the temperature of the pool never rose. So not much of a story here.

>The Flood waters are expected to linger around until August.

Not at these levels. They have already dropped to the point where they are no longer threatening the plant.

>For a country with a free press, hundreds of millions of people and a very
>near or possible nuclear disaster. that is pretty fucking weak.

"There was a fire and nothing happened" isn't really news unless you have a political agenda, like these guys:

http://www.can-you-hear-us-now.com/2011/06/obama-regime-has-ordered-total-and.html

Yep. A disaster perhaps on par with the one at Fukushima nuclear power plant, where the radiation doses have killed exactly zero people. Of course, in the three months since the evacuations of the area around Fukshima began, there have been 77 deaths of elderly who evacuated nursing homes. Last year there were 25 total deaths from the nursing homes that were evacuated.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T110702002582.htm

Calls of imminent disaster are just getting old for me. Cause for concern? Yes. Cause for panic? No. Cause for prediction of disaster? Not yet.

Just like Fukushima there is more fear about a potential for disaster than the ACTUAL disaster happening thanks to water inundation. Hey, tens of thousands killed by earthquake and tsunami in Japan? Left without food, potable water, power or shelter? Forget that, THE NUCLEAR REACTOR IS THE GREAT HEALTH DISASTER!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/us/21flood.html
I believe this may be what the OP is talking about. I live 19 miles downstream (OMAHA). N.P.P.D. (the owner) seems to have a handle on the situation for the moment but you would need a dinghy to get to work at the nuc plant for the next month or two. The plant is in cold shutdown down and will remain so until all the water goes away.

Just posted this to help. I have no opinion about it or plans.