JohnRich

Texas Police Believe in Physics

Thanks. I kept reading the title of that other thread as "Physics" before I finally clicked on it to see what they were talking about. Oh, psychics. :D

Re: Psychics

Aren't those the college girls majoring in psychology?

No; I addressed that in the other thread: they're sidekicks.

Whether this person said they were psychic or not doesn't really matter. They would still have to investigate no matter who called. Once they found blood on the door and could smell rotting meat in the freezer they didn't have any choice but to do a follow up. Unfortunately the media found out so the frenzy started. I can't tell you how many wild ass goose chases i investigated because of anonymous tips when i was in law enforcement. But you are right about using psychics they are a huge waste of resources. :S

Thanks. I kept reading the title of that other thread as "Physics" before I finally clicked on it to see what they were talking about. Oh, psychics. :D

Re: Psychos

FIFY
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If the "psychics" were actually psychics, wouldn't they have called the police before a crime occurred, thereby preventing it from occurring in the first place? I mean why aren't the phones ringing off the hook with psychics telling the police about serious crimes about to occur? It could kind of be like that Tom Cruise movie, Minority Report. We could arrest perpetrators for their intent of committing crime.

I contend they're not psychics, they're psychos. But I think that was your point anyway. The bottom line is that we have become a society very susceptible to ridiculous scams and schemes such as "psychics". People actually pay them money every day to predict the future and expect them to be accurate. They actually have repeat customers. Then again, look at all the infomercials full of crap merchandise and get-rich-quick schemes that people are spending their money on every day too. People are avoiding good ole hard work to try and find the somebody-will-give-it-to-me-for-nothing solution for anything.

Oh dear, it seems I've drifted into another thread topic now [/rant]
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

What about someone who's a bit off? likes crystals, and reads a lot of books about psychics?

They see something a little off kilter at the neighbors, maybe hear an argument, and then suddenly it's quiet for a few days. The neighbor digs a big hole in the middle of the night and buries something man-sized.

The "psychic" sees all this but is stupid. Fortunately, her subconscious is a lot smarter and she has a dream about the neighbor killing someone and burying them in the back yard.

She calls the cops about her "vision".

People process stuff in strange ways.
Most charlatans are very good observers and good at deduction. Add a little crazy, and a potential charlatans might very well believe they have special gifts.

Edit: ooops, wrong thread. I'm a fan of cops that believe in science

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Oh ...I get it! :)

Oh ...I get it! :)

It really came down to their mentality.:P
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

They see something a little off kilter at the neighbors, maybe hear an argument, and then suddenly it's quiet for a few days. The neighbor digs a big hole in the middle of the night and buries something man-sized.

This is a far cry from someone having a "vision".

you skipped the following paragraph, on purpose?

{snarky} vision = sees something {end of pointless snarky}

absolutely, but someone "not quite right" might just not process it the same as you or me. Doesn't mean they didn't see something (in a real sense). So how do the cops know what to ignore?

If they claim to by psychic, they are likely off kilter anyway - like religious people, or environmentalists, or CrW advocates. They pretty much are "just looking" for means to rationalize their POV.

Practical analogy - Kallend drives through an area full of wires, his radio is working fine. One day, at a specific area, he notices the radio is wonky in a way that only a physicist can decode. He looks around, then calls the local utility and tells them the transformer on the corner of _____ and _____ is overheating and a danger.

He didn't measure anything directly, but he observed "something". Should the utility investigate? or should they mock him.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

***They see something a little off kilter at the neighbors, maybe hear an argument, and then suddenly it's quiet for a few days. The neighbor digs a big hole in the middle of the night and buries something man-sized.

you skipped the following paragraph, on purpose?

{snarky} vision = sees something {end of pointless snarky}

absolutely, but someone "not quite right" might just not process it the same as you or me. Doesn't mean they didn't see something (in a real sense). So how do the cops know what to ignore?

If they claim to by psychic, they are likely off kilter anyway - like religious people, or environmentalists, or CrW advocates. They pretty much are "just looking" for means to rationalize their POV.

Practical analogy - Kallend drives through an area full of wires, his radio is working fine. One day, at a specific area, he notices the radio is wonky in a way that only a physicist can decode. He looks around, then calls the local utility and tells them the transformer on the corner of _____ and _____ is overheating and a danger.

He didn't measure anything directly, but he observed "something". Should the utility investigate? or should they mock him.

The CrW reference was funny, thanks.

The "things are just not quite right feeling" when combined with other tangible evidence such as witnessing an event is fine. If a person calls the police and says he had a vision, a dream, premonition or what ever, he needs to be ignored and warned that if they repeat the behaivor, they will be arrested by the police.

Attempting to compare a physicist with a psychic is comparing science and the supernatural, it's not even in the same ballpark.

If a person calls the police and says he had a vision, a dream, premonition or what ever, he needs to be ignored and warned that if they repeat the behaivor, they will be arrested by the police.

As I noted, how does the police know this is a nuisance claim vs just a simpleton that communicates/processes poorly but really saw something? They have to investigate, even just the bare minimum of questioning the caller further to figure out of they really are a crank call or have something else substantial to add to the claim.

I'm on your side if it's clear that the caller is making stuff up just for attention (good intentions or not).