champu

Is there any point in responding to you in this forum?

If you take that question to its logical conclusion though, we all end up like Ted Kazinski hiding in a cabin in Montana and scribbling in notebooks. I mean, at least the psychopaths here are attempting some form of human contact, limited though it may be. I'll admit some give Turing a run for his money.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you take that question to its logical conclusion though, we all end up like Ted Kazinski hiding in a cabin in Montana and scribbling in notebooks. I mean, at least the psychopaths here are attempting some form of human contact, limited though it may be. I'll admit some give Turing a run for his money.

We all know that "obvious troll is obvious" but that's not really what I'm getting at. This is sort of an extention to the question that JohnnyMarko posted a month ago about whether peoples' views had changed at all from discussing things here.

I see a lot of posts where people say something, and then when someone responds to them they really mangle the hell out of the response with selective quoting, and then reply to that. On the other end of the spectrum, there are people who freak the hell out if the whitespace of their post isn't maintained when quoted and yell at the person for not responding to them in bullet-point format.

It's probably a combination of legitimate misunderstanding, trolling, and stubborness; I'm wondering if people feel like they're willing to hear others out and, even if they don't change their view point, maybe change the way they present it.

From my personal perspective, I have been surprised sometimes at cogent debate from people who differ greatly from me politically or socially.

Yes, some of my opinions have certainly been modified based on those rare gems of thought.

The only reason you should respond to ANYONE here is if you enjoy doing so. If you think you're going to change the world or convince someone else of your political leanings, you may be in for some frustration.

If you're coming here to watch other people participate in intelligent debate, you will also be, in general, disappointed. However, there are a few gems here and there.

Truthfully, my views have been tweaked by the views of others on this and other boards.
I try to respond the way that I would like like others to respond to me. I do appreciate it when someone points out my shortcoming, so that I may apologize for not being civil. Other times, I have to just walk away as I catch myself being a jerk.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

If all you have to offer is a smart-ass one-liner response to a serious statement...No.

If you choose to read between the lines instead of what is posted...No.

If you're not understanding what's written and choose to remark anyway on what you thought I said...No.

If you have a different viewpoint and can express it with civility...Yes.

If you agree with my viewpoint...Yes.

If you want to offer money to my skydiving fund...YES!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This is what I get a kick out of (and YES I'm only kidding)

The only reason you should respond to ANYONE here is if you enjoy doing so.

Implying that when I DONT reply that I'm wrong??

If you think

Your statement is FALSE - preceded by "IF" -as if you assume I think..

you're going to change the world or convince someone else of your political leanings,

Cite your source Billvon

you may be in for some frustration.

Again - an incoherent assumption based on your preconceived idea of ME

If you're coming here to watch other people participate in intelligent debate, you will also be, in general, disappointed.

And yet again you ascertain my mood as disappointed - without reasearching the topic. - site your source

However, there are a few gems here and there.

Again, Bill, an assumption based on you lacking the perspicacity to grasp the concept of gems.

:D

We all know that "obvious troll is obvious" but that's not really what I'm getting at. This is sort of an extention to the question that JohnnyMarko posted a month ago about whether peoples' views had changed at all from discussing things here.

have my views ever done a 180 from reading a thread? no. Have they changed slightly? Sure... all the time. I have learned things, I have modified my positions, and I have had some threads where I've considered them a complete waste of time.

Is there any point in responding? not really. Depends on what your purpose is. If you want to make me see viewpoints the same way as you, don't bother. If you want to share your viewpoint, perhaps show something to someone that they might not have known, then go ahead. Because there are only a few posters here who know EVERYTHING. Just ask them. They'll tell you.
--
Rob

have my views ever done a 180 from reading a thread? no. Have they changed slightly? Sure... all the time. I have learned things, I have modified my positions, and I have had some threads where I've considered them a complete waste of time.

This has been my experience as well, and I feel as though there are definitely cycles of interesting threads and droughts. There are a few topics I obviously chime in on more than others but I think the main reason I stick around is because this is my version of "people watching." It's interesting to see how and how willing people are to present / clarify their position vs. just assuming the other person holds an imaginary, unreasonable, and diametrically opposed viewpoint.

Is there any point in responding? not really. Depends on what your purpose is. If you want to make me see viewpoints the same way as you, don't bother. If you want to share your viewpoint, perhaps show something to someone that they might not have known, then go ahead. Because there are only a few posters here who know EVERYTHING. Just ask them. They'll tell you.

Ah, this is where I think I was trying to go with the poll. How often do people assume others are trying to "make" them see viewpoints their way vs. just "sharing" their opinion. If someone assumes that everyone responding to them is trying to shove their stance down their throat then yeah, there's really no point in responding to them regardless of whether you are a) actually trying to shove your opinion down their throat b) trying to share your viewpoint or c) just trying to be a little light-hearted or silly.