stevebabin

The Church Vs. Science

I am sure the Bible is accurate in claims regarding GRAVITY as well. Somewhere it says something about falling or dropping.

Actually that is addressed in the second semester in Job when we talk about the "chains and cords" of Pleaides and Orion and how the Earth hangs on nothing.:P

Does not make it a valid source of information for that subject

I never said that.

nor was it written in any way to support said theory...

True...it was written to either show the arrogance of man and his inability to reach God or to illustrate some type of spiritual truth.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

In the same way that horoscopes make predictions so broad that anyone can see their own life or personality reflected in them the 'claims' you refer to are so vague

There is a certain level of interpretation but they're not as vague as you claim. For example:

"For as the rain and snow come down from heaven and do not return there without watering the earth..."

See, that's not so vague...but I'm sure some of you would say "Absurd, rain doesn't come from heaven!!!"

Ok, ok...how bout this one then:
"He draws up the drops of water, He draws them up, they distill rain from the mist which the clouds pour down. They drip upon man abundantly."

Pretty straight forward, but I can already hear the grumbling..."This is a contradiction...You just said the rain comes from heaven, now you are saying it comes from the clouds...which one is it?!?! And don't even get me started on the obviously delusional denial of drought!"

on the flip side you have a whole other bunch of passages that explicitly contradict things as basic as the world being round

Perhaps these are the verses you are referring to when you speak of vagueness and having an agenda?

But that's ok...I get. When you do it, it's ok, but when I do it I'm just a lax interpretive propagandist with an agenda to propagate my bullshit apologetics.

Not sure why all you guys are getting your panties in a bunch over this...I just find the verbage of these spiritual insights to be rather interesting. But I have to admit Jakee...it's always an honor when you crawl out from under your rock and grace us with your presence.:P

Coreece, I don't mean keep you in the dark on this. Your Pastor tried to pay me to keep it from you, but I told him to get lost. ("lost"...get it?!):P

I didn't know you were an evangelist!:P

:D

but ya...um, speaking of a pastor...I should probably go get one of those huh? Let's see...where is there a Church that actually explains the Bible....hmmm...good question.[:/]

:(

Why on earth should anyone trust what it says about the unknowable when it's so wide of the mark on the knowable?

Same reason we still trust science despite it's blunders...

Btw, the religious weren't the only ones who believed the world was flat you know.

You may also want to look into biblical parables, figures of speech, and your favorite...poetic license.:P

"For as the rain and snow come down from heaven and do not return there without watering the earth..."

See, that's not so vague

No, that's not particularly vague. Unfortunately though, you don't get to win any science points for noticing that rain falls downwards:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That could be a decent point, if the Bible didn't talk about physical reality. But it does, and gets it badly wrong.

Why on earth should anyone trust what it says about the unknowable when it's so wide of the mark on the knowable?

Most passages in the Bible I have read that deal with physical reality are vague, especially in the original Hebrew. Problems arise when passages are read with a superficial glance and then attributed a meaning that may never have been intended. Faith in the unknowable is a personal journey. For those who can see it, the Bible is an excellent guide on that journey. Physical reality is what it is, spiritual reality is what we make it.

Same reason we still trust science despite it's blunders...

Btw, the religious weren't the only ones who believed the world was flat you know.

The application of science has never led anyone to believe that the earth is flat.

See, that's not so vague

No, that's not particularly vague. Unfortunately though, you don't get to win any science points for noticing that rain falls downwards:S

Perhaps you missed the part about it going back upwards?

btw, but Newton gets 100 points and a smiley face sticker for noticing an aplle falling off a tree...

btw, but Newton gets 100 points and a smiley face sticker for noticing an aplle falling off a tree...

There are a number of people that believe the story itself is an allusion to the apple in the Eden myth. Think about it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There are a number of people that believe the story itself is an allusion to the apple in the Eden myth. Think about it.

Got anymore of that hippie lettuce?:P

Really? You don't see it? That a young man sitting beneath the "tree of knowledge" is suddenly struck by its fruit and asks the fundamental question, "why?"

Newton was far smarter than you seem to give him credit for. He knew that in a time when religion was never questioned, he would have to concoct a story to ease them into the conversation.
quade -

Really? You don't see it? That a young man sitting beneath the "tree of knowledge" is suddenly struck by its fruit and asks the fundamental question, "why?"

Newton was far smarter than you seem to give him credit for. He knew that in a time when religion was never questioned, he would have to concoct a story to ease them into the conversation.

So what are you trying to say, that Newton was the talking lying snake?:P

...and I'm the one who is vague and has an agenda filled with lax interpretive propaganda...go figure.

*edited for spelling and phraseology*

The application of science has never led anyone to believe that the earth is flat.

The application of science has never come up with a wrong answer. Believe it.
:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

See, that's not so vague

Does the Bible give us mathematical models to predict the exact position, at a given time, of an object in an elliptical orbit around another body that is itself in an elliptical orbit around yet another body?
BTW, the Bible is wrong right from the start. According to the Bible, there was water on the Earth when God created day & night. Unless there was some special water that can exist on the face of a planet made of molten rock......
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

According to the Bible, there was water on the Earth when God created day & night.

I like how there are "days" before the Sun and Moon (the two lights placed in the sky on the fourth day) exist to mark the days.
quade -

Does the Bible give us mathematical models to predict the exact position, at a given time, of an object in an elliptical orbit around another body that is itself in an elliptical orbit around yet another body?

Of course not...The Bible is big enough without having a bunch of knowledge that is useless for spiritual development.

BTW, the Bible is wrong right from the start.

Yes, this seems to be the general consensus from all those who were actually there to observe creation.

Most of their reports also tend to be longer than one or two pages...

***Does the Bible give us mathematical models to predict the exact position, at a given time, of an object in an elliptical orbit around another body that is itself in an elliptical orbit around yet another body?

Of course not...The Bible is big enough without having a bunch of knowledge that is useless for spiritual development.

To fit it in maybe it can cut out some of those Old Testament stories which are supposedly worthless anyway, you know - the stuff about stoning homosexuals and such things. [:/]

No, Newton gets his points for explaining it.

You may not have noticed, but he didn't simply say "Hey look, an apple. It's a miracle!"

So, if it is for "spritual development", why are you attempting to show the writer(s) understood the complexities of physics long before Newton?

BTW, the Bible is wrong right from the start.

Yes, this seems to be the general consensus from all those who were actually there to observe creation.

Most of their reports also tend to be longer than one or two pages...

Soooo...the Bible was written by those who were there? ok :S I prefer the logical explanation of cration, not the Magical Mystery Tour version.

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

See, that's not so vague

I can only assume from your ignorant comment that you have not read even one page of Principia.

I, on the other hand, have read the Bible, probably more extensively than most Christians, having had 12 years of bible study forced upon me as a child. The bible is a collection of myths and fairy stories and does not contain any science of any value whatsoever.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I guess your god hasn't heard of virga. What an ignorant god you worship.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Since science is blind to what it can't measure, those who claim to be "scientists" should refrain from commenting on things they know nothing about, namely God. Likewise those who use the Bible as a science text book are equally wrong. The Bible is a guide to spiritual reality, not physical reality. I don't see any conflict between the two.

Not certain what is meant by spiritual reality - sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. But I agree with the general premise of it being stories told as lessons on how to live - though it is not the only source for learning how to live.

No problem here with people seeking spiritual guidance; my beef is with the fundies who want to pull BS like putting stickers in text books encouraging quackery as an alternative to the scientific facts teased from nature via painstaking labor of generations of dedicated scientists. They casually waive off the very foundations of physics, chemistry, and biology not because they have any evidence to the contrary; but because it contradicts their dogmatic tautology. That is what brings on the wrath.

Peace be with everyone - but keep the oogie-boogie and propogation of ignorance outside the realm of explaining the natural world.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley