winsor

How to Win the War on Terror

He who would pun would pick a pocket. :P

But you've got a point. Technically it's the war or terrorism. Or terrorists. But the Feds are fond of relating war on actions or ideas instead of targets. Makes the war unwinnable when there are no conditions for victory.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

But you've got a point. Technically it's the war or terrorism. Or terrorists. But the Feds are fond of relating war on actions or ideas instead of targets. Makes the war unwinnable when there are no conditions for victory.

You entirely miss my point.

The way to lose the War on Terror is to be phobic. If we opt to live in fear, and to let our fears be the basis of our decisions, then Terror is the victor.

The way to defeat Terror is not to be terrorized. Don't be a pussy. Lay off on the hysteria. Grow a spine.

Since we live in a world that caters to cowards, terrorists have the upper hand.

Damn, I thought you were trying to be funny. My bad.

But as to your "grow a spine" solution, I have to say there's a bit more to it than that. I don't think many would call Israel spineless pussies, but I don't think anyone wouldnsay they won the 'war on terror.'
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Damn, I thought you were trying to be funny. My bad.

But as to your "grow a spine" solution, I have to say there's a bit more to it than that. I don't think many would call Israel spineless pussies, but I don't think anyone wouldnsay they won the 'war on terror.'

Serious as a heart attack.

Israel is not fighting a "war on terror," it is a war of survival. As such, El Al security bears precious little resemblance to TSA.

Terrorism only requires two things:

1) Terrorists

and

2) The Terrorized

I, for one, will not live forever, but will not live in fear. I also do not buy into the idea that, because there are some assholes out there intent upon wreaking mayhem upon me and anyone who looks like me, I should relinquish any and all rights to another group of assholes who rely on the the first group of assholes for justification.

I realize that if you have to tell anyone to quit being a pussy you're wasting your breath, but this bunker mentality wore thin a long time ago.

BSBD,

Winsor

The way to lose the War on Terror is to be phobic. If we opt to live in fear, and to let our fears be the basis of our decisions, then Terror is the victor.

The way to defeat Terror is not to be terrorized. Don't be a pussy. Lay off on the hysteria. Grow a spine.

Since we live in a world that caters to cowards, terrorists have the upper hand.

And buried in your, hitting the nail on the head, comments are the losses and erosions of our personal freedoms under the guise of more security
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Serious as a heart attack.

Israel is not fighting a "war on terror," it is a war of survival. As such, El Al security bears precious little resemblance to TSA.

Terrorism only requires two things:

1) Terrorists

and

2) The Terrorized

I, for one, will not live forever, but will not live in fear. I also do not buy into the idea that, because there are some assholes out there intent upon wreaking mayhem upon me and anyone who looks like me, I should relinquish any and all rights to another group of assholes who rely on the the first group of assholes for justification.

I realize that if you have to tell anyone to quit being a pussy you're wasting your breath, but this bunker mentality wore thin a long time ago.

Amen preacher...where do I send my money :P

I do wholeheartedly agree with you.

And buried in your, hitting the nail on the head, comments are the losses and erosions of our personal freedoms under the guise of more security

Agreed.
To which I'll add - and I apologize for the thread drift - that this mania that the management end of Corporate America has toward drug-testing all employees, no matter what the job duties (as well as the sheep that go along with it) are bred out of more or less the same mentality.

Agreed.
To which I'll add - and I apologize for the thread drift - that this mania that the management end of Corporate America has toward drug-testing all employees, no matter what the job duties (as well as the sheep that go along with it) are bred out of more or less the same mentality.

Not that I disagree with you but
Can you expand?

I am not sure I see the relationship
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Agreed.

Can you expand?

I think I do. I again resort to one of my favorite quotations:

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

In both cases, the wars on "terror" and drugs, we have become inured to cures that are worse than the diseases.

To assuage our fears of attacks by people whose goal is for us to fear attack, we spend staggering sums and relinquish fundamental freedoms.

To address the issue of people taking proscribed psychoactive substances, we spend staggering sums and relinquish fundamental freedoms.

With the excuse of avoiding blown-up airplanes or blown minds, we unleash a swarm of mindless drones without accountability, and accept whatever damage they when trying to keep us "safe."

A key parameter I use when evaluating credibility is Conflict of Interest (COI). If the source of the claim owes their plush lifestyle on the quixotic battle against a perceived evil, I am skeptical regarding the motivation of the source. If "racism" goes away entirely, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are out of business. If people quit using dope, the DEA and all the drug cartels are finished. If people quit being freaked out by murderous assholes with the deity du jour on their side, TSA is history.

The key to both wars - terror and drugs, is hysteria. Yeah, speed, coke and smack are bad for you. Yeah, the schmuck wanting to turn a bunch of infidels into burger is a major annoyance. In the grand scheme of things, neither dope nor terrorists are anywhere near as big of a problem as are the forces doing battle with either drugs or terrorists.

If I never had to deal with a drugged-up or drunk person again, or if anyone even thinking hard about performing a terrorist act was to sleep with his ancestors immediately, I would be cool with that.

OTOH, using these "problems" to empower an endless series of totalitarian bureaucracies is worse than the problems themselves.

Walt Kelly, as "Pogo Possum," observed: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

BSBD,

Winsor

I agree. I much prefer wars be limited to actual enemies that can be identified, located, and defeated. If anyone were to describe the conflict between the USA and the cave-dwellers we call terrorists without using big scary words it would be a joke.

The war on drugs, the war on crime, and the war on terror are excuses for the most horrendous government actions (against its citizens) of the last fifty years. In addition to tearing down liberty and freedom, the all too common (unintended?) consequences result in more power for the things they are supposed to be fighting.

Damn right.
witty subliminal message
1*

Agreed.

Can you expand?

I think I do. I again resort to one of my favorite quotations:

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

In both cases, the wars on "terror" and drugs, we have become inured to cures that are worse than the diseases.

To assuage our fears of attacks by people whose goal is for us to fear attack, we spend staggering sums and relinquish fundamental freedoms.

To address the issue of people taking proscribed psychoactive substances, we spend staggering sums and relinquish fundamental freedoms.

With the excuse of avoiding blown-up airplanes or blown minds, we unleash a swarm of mindless drones without accountability, and accept whatever damage they when trying to keep us "safe."

A key parameter I use when evaluating credibility is Conflict of Interest (COI). If the source of the claim owes their plush lifestyle on the quixotic battle against a perceived evil, I am skeptical regarding the motivation of the source. If "racism" goes away entirely, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are out of business. If people quit using dope, the DEA and all the drug cartels are finished. If people quit being freaked out by murderous assholes with the deity du jour on their side, TSA is history.

The key to both wars - terror and drugs, is hysteria. Yeah, speed, coke and smack are bad for you. Yeah, the schmuck wanting to turn a bunch of infidels into burger is a major annoyance. In the grand scheme of things, neither dope nor terrorists are anywhere near as big of a problem as are the forces doing battle with either drugs or terrorists.

If I never had to deal with a drugged-up or drunk person again, or if anyone even thinking hard about performing a terrorist act was to sleep with his ancestors immediately, I would be cool with that.

OTOH, using these "problems" to empower an endless series of totalitarian bureaucracies is worse than the problems themselves.

Walt Kelly, as "Pogo Possum," observed: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

BSBD,

Winsor

Very nice post.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.