Beachbum

And I thought Republicans were supposed to be all about personal responsibility!

Delay gets convicted of money laundering and conspiracy, and only gets 3 years, and has the nerve to blame the system! "This criminalization of politics is very dangerous" ... then goes on with "It's not enough to ruin your reputation. They have to put you in jail, bankrupt you, destroy your family."

First, I seriously doubt the man is bankrupt. He most certainly earned at least that much jail time. Whatever may happen within his family also lays on his shoulders. Why can't he be a man and take responsibility? The bad thing is, I think a large precentage of our politicians these days would have a similar attitude in his situation ... [:/]

I DO agree with one thing he says, but not from the same viewpoint. The criminalization of politics IS dangerous. We have too many criminals in office!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Delay gets convicted of money laundering and conspiracy, and only gets 3 years, and has the nerve to blame the system! "This criminalization of politics is very dangerous" ... then goes on with "It's not enough to ruin your reputation. They have to put you in jail, bankrupt you, destroy your family."

First, I seriously doubt the man is bankrupt. He most certainly earned at least that much jail time. Whatever may happen within his family also lays on his shoulders. Why can't he be a man and take responsibility? The bad thing is, I think a large precentage of our politicians these days would have a similar attitude in his situation ... [:/]

I DO agree with one thing he says, but not from the same viewpoint. The criminalization of politics IS dangerous. We have too many criminals in office!!

to many politicians have this viewpoint and they make the laws! they should be the first to fall to the laws they break/ make.

Blah....both the democrats and republicans are running a kleptocracy anyway.

"kleptocracy"

nice term - first I've seen it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Don't fall into the trap of taking the actions of one, and attributing it to the many.

You disagree with my assertion that a lot of politicians would react similarly?? I did not say a lot of repulblicans, since I believe we have plenty of crooks in both parties!

If you are referring to the thread title, well, I personally know plenty of republicans who THINK they favor personal responsibility, but in reality (that I've observed, not what they TELL me) they use it as a mantra only, and don't apply it to their actions when it might inconvenience them.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Don't fall into the trap of taking the actions of one, and attributing it to the many.

You disagree with my assertion that a lot of politicians would react similarly?? I did not say a lot of repulblicans, since I believe we have plenty of crooks in both parties!

If you are referring to the thread title, well, I personally know plenty of republicans who THINK they favor personal responsibility, but in reality (that I've observed, not what they TELL me) they use it as a mantra only, and don't apply it to their actions when it might inconvenience them.

I agree that a lot would react in a similar manner. I disagree that it's limited only to republicans. Both parties have plenty of people who both behave responsibly, as well as behave irresponsibly - it shouldn't be characterized as only a republican thing.

There are exceptions to almost anything, but in terms of overall trends, it is the republicans who are generally the ones to tout personal responsibility, not the democrats. Dems usually tend to be the ones who want responsibility for nothing, and prefer the government "take care" of them ... thus the title.

Dems usually tend to be the ones who want responsibility for nothing, and prefer the government "take care" of them ... thus the title.

I think that is not the way a democrat would describe their platform or their philosophy. More like a Republican caricature of Dems.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Dems usually tend to be the ones who want responsibility for nothing, and prefer the government "take care" of them ... thus the title.

I think that is not the way a democrat would describe their platform or their philosophy. More like a Republican caricature of Dems.

How many weeks have the Dems extended the you do not have to work to get paid to?

How many child care programs do we need?

How many food stamp programs are needed?

The list goes on

And no, I do not advocate removing a safety net to help those who really need it but what we get now is exesive
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

How many weeks have the Dems extended the you do not have to work to get paid to?

How many child care programs do we need?

How many food stamp programs are needed?

The list goes on

And no, I do not advocate removing a safety net to help those who really need it but what we get now is exesive

Maybe you call it not wanting responsibility and prefering the government to take care of them.

I don't think Democrats would refer to those programs that way. They would call it providing a social safety net (which you just said we need, so you agree on the general concept, just not the particulars).

I'm neither a democrat nor a republican but I don't think it is constructive to always view the opposing party through your own philosophical lens. That's all. I guess if we didn't do that about 3/4ths of the content of Speaker's Corner would go out the window, though.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

>"This criminalization of politics is very dangerous"

I'm sure he'll be fine with it once again when a democrat faces similar charges.

I'm sure you'll continue only making examples of the right, as well.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Someone has to counter your entirely one-sided reportage on the issue.

So other people are biased and one sided. You are as well, but when you do it, it's in the interest of fairness to counter an unfair bias.

You'd be perfect at FOX News.

So other people are biased and one sided. You are as well, but when you do it, it's in the interest of fairness to counter an unfair bias.

Ahhhh
Such honesty and civility
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You're already perfect at CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>I'm sure you'll continue only making examples of the right, as well.

Pot, meet kettle.

Someone has to counter your entirely one-sided reportage on the issue.

You should look at your own posts on gun laws and climate change before criticizing others for one-sidedness.

Cast out the the beam in thine own eye...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Pot, meet kettle.

You should look at your own posts on gun laws and climate change before criticizing others for one-sidedness.

Take your own advice.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Pot, meet kettle.

Take your own advice.

You were the one complaining about one-sidedness, not me ( #13 and #15 this thread). I just pointed out the double standard implicit in your complaint.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Pot, meet kettle.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA