skyrider

Bawny Fwank, "Hiers Didn't Do Anything To Deserve Inheritance"

Or... JP Moneybags gets sent away to boarding school at 6 years old because Mom and Dad don't have "time" to deal with his needs. He stays gone for the next 20 years sucking on the family tit to the tune of $200k per year spent on sex, Red Bull and the fast lane. Dad and Mom crash their Canadair and Junior gets word that he's now rich. The shell game of corporate hide and seek keeps him from actually "showing any inheritance" so he just keeps on collecting his allowance all the while gathering up more and more wealth under the walnut shells his lawyers shuffle and dodge around. -but- indirectly he employs hundreds if not thousands. Hundreds of these might lose their jobs if taxes sapped the corporate capitol.

more fiction...

So?

you support theft
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

you support theft

now you can run away...

Nothing to run from
Certianly not you

How about you explain why you think it is OK to take from the rich when they die?
Abraham Lincoln

Wanting to take someone's inheritance doesn't either, eh?

"You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Stupid argument. Why would that apply to estate tax, but not to any other tax? All taxes involve taking something of value from someone.

Stupid assessment. But I'll explain it for you in spite of your PhD...we can work around that.

It's about the greed of wanting what the other fellow has, not about the tax. Do try to keep up, John.

Oh,wait...nevermind.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

you support theft

now you can run away...

Nothing to run from
Certianly not you

How about you explain why you think it is OK to take from the rich when they die?

Geez...I thought he already made it plain...gimme, gimme. gimme greed. Nothing he's said so far explains it otherwise.

you support theft

now you can run away...

Nothing to run from
Certianly not you

Geez...I thought he already made it plain...gimme, gimme. gimme greed. Nothing he's said so far explains it otherwise.

Agreed
But wanted to see if he would admit it in an unambiguous statement

But the big green monster, that they are, seems to preclude them from that kind of communication. I wonder if they/he can overcome that affliction
Abraham Lincoln

Wanting to take someone's inheritance doesn't either, eh?

"You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Stupid argument. Why would that apply to estate tax, but not to any other tax? All taxes involve taking something of value from someone.

Stupid assessment. But I'll explain it for you in spite of your PhD...we can work around that.

It's about the greed of wanting what the other fellow has, not about the tax. Do try to keep up, John.

Oh,wait...nevermind.

This may help to explain why you have to work around the Ph.D.

http://gizmodo.com/5613794/what-is-exactly-a-doctorate

The decade of the 80's was from 1980 to 1989. 10 years. If you remove 1980 and 1989 you have 1981 to 1988. 8 years.

It's about the greed of wanting what the other fellow has.

like the greed of the super rich in wanting all their neighbour's money?

Yes, somewhat like that. Of course being willing to pay the neighbors for the work they do to produce money for me makes it a little different than simply asking the g'ment to do the dirty work and take what they have from them and give it to me.

It's about the greed of wanting what the other fellow has.

like the greed of the super rich in wanting all their neighbour's money?

Yes, somewhat like that.

agreed then...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

If I get a 4 million dollar bonus should I have to pay taxes on it?

Why is it any different if I get that bonus from a deceased family member?

Those arguing against an inheritance tax are arguing from an emotional standpoint, not a logical one.

As far as the hypothetical losing the family farm, it's pretty much nonsense. I know though, facts are inconvenient.http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3223

The government collects taxes to pay for things that are necessary for a functional society but that the people as a whole, when left to themselves, aren't very good at providing: public education, roads, air traffic control, a military, police and public safety, regulation for safe work places, legal protection of minority rights, etc. (all those things that several posters here ridiculously suggest people give up the instant an argument against any particular tax is brought up.)

The majority of taxes are levied against economic activities: payroll tax, capital gains, sales tax, etc. This makes sense, you use the economy that the government helps make possible, you pay to support that government. I'm also in agreement with progressive tax structures. If you are generating more wealth, and are benefiting more than the average person, you need to be willing to pay more to keep a good thing going for yourself. This doesn't mean you must forfeit your right to speak out against wastefulness, but as a general concept, progressive structures shouldn't give you heartburn.

Property taxes are an exception. They're owed simply because I happen to own a piece of dirt. But they go to the county and provide for things that go nicely with my piece of dirt: schools, fire departments, street cleaning, lifeguards on the beach, etc. So, again, while I can always pine for a more frugal local government, I'm on board with the concept.

I think this idea of parity is important in lieu of trying to come up with something "fair". I'm against the inheritance tax for the same reason I'm against a tax anytime you move more than x dollars between two of your own bank accounts. It's not an economic activity, and it has nothing to do with anything the government provides. It's an unadulterated money grab.

The arguments here in favor of the inheritance tax are based on a general dislike for the concept of old money, mistrust of the [always ill-defined] rich in general, and the fact that it doesn't affect most people and few if any on these boards. Suggesting that these are reasons enough to just stop thinking about a government practice is repulsive.

I'm against the inheritance tax for the same reason I'm against a tax anytime you move more than x dollars between two of your own bank accounts. It's not an economic activity, and it has nothing to do with anything the government provides. It's an unadulterated money grab.

surely it's then better to tax (if you have to tax) a non-economic activity than an economic activity?
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

I'm against the inheritance tax for the same reason I'm against a tax anytime you move more than x dollars between two of your own bank accounts. It's not an economic activity, and it has nothing to do with anything the government provides. It's an unadulterated money grab.

surely it's then better to tax (if you have to tax) a non-economic activity than an economic activity?

In other words
To take from those who have died correct

What morbid SOB would support that?
Abraham Lincoln

My dad had a small business. I worked with him to build it. From a sweat equity point of view it was as much mine as it was his. But when he died and left it to me the government took such a big bite of it that i had to sell to pay what they wanted.
Fuck Barney Frank and all his useless cronies. >:(

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

My dad had a small business. I worked with him to build it. From a sweat equity point of view it was as much mine as it was his. But when he died and left it to me the government took such a big bite of it that i had to sell to pay what they wanted.

There ya' go, people.
'Nuff said.

First off it must have been a pretty decent sized business if the taxation on any equity over 3.5 million forced you to sell.
Secondly, it must not have been a very profitable business if you weren't able to get financing to cover the taxes on the equity over 3.5 million.

surely it's then-

As an aside regarding this first bit of your post, what you're about to write here doesn't follow from my post. But looking at it by itself:

...better to tax (if you have to tax) a non-economic activity than an economic activity?

From the government's point of view, taxing non-economic activities doesn't create any kind of sustainable receipts, which is really what they need to be thinking about. What the government can actually afford to spend is a function of how well the economy is doing, and so having the government essentially get a cut of economic activity to work with makes a lot of sense. When they start reaching around that and grabbing for money just because, "hey, look over there! it's money!" I have to question whether they may be overstepping their bounds.

First off it must have been a pretty decent sized business if the taxation on any equity over 3.5 million forced you to sell.
Secondly, it must not have been a very profitable business if you weren't able to get financing to cover the taxes on the equity over 3.5 million.

It doesn't take much to total 3.5 million. A few brakes, a couple shears, presses, some CNC equipment, trucks, trailers, tools, etc. plus the real estate to house it all adds up real quick.
The business was profitable but to borrow money to pay the taxes killed any incentive I had to keep it open. I had my own business to run and the prospect of more responsibility for no financial return was not very inviting.
The shop was closed, the assets sold at auction, and 9 people were out of work and went on unemployment.
Ain't government in action wonderful?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

so you weren't forced to sell the business, you chose to.

If the business was purchased then jobs were created or retained to offset the jobs that were lost, right?

So you inherited 3.5 million tax free dollars, and we're supposed to feel sorry for you, because you chose to sell the business?

Hmm, o.k.

so you weren't forced to sell the business, you chose to.

If the business was purchased then jobs were created or retained to offset the jobs that were lost, right?

So you inherited 3.5 million tax free dollars, and we're supposed to feel sorry for you, because you chose to sell the business?

Perhaps you should not let wealth envy blind you...re-read his post...

The shop was closed, the assets sold at auction, and 9 people were out of work and went on unemployment.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”