Kennedy

Iraq Veteran Stripped of Rights

I was there when they gave him his purple heart for fighting for that right to bear arms, and they are stripping it away," Lana said, her eyes tearing up.

He was fighting for the right to bear arms? What sheer stupidity. One of the first things the Americans did in Iraq was abolish the right to bear arms.

I was there when they gave him his purple heart for fighting for that right to bear arms, and they are stripping it away," Lana said, her eyes tearing up.

He was fighting for the right to bear arms? What sheer stupidity. One of the first things the Americans did in Iraq was abolish the right to bear arms.

Whhoooooosh:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Really?

I thought they allowed each household to retain possession of an AK (real one, not the semi-auto only we have here).

For self defense.

First thing I could find with a quick search. Ploughshares is not a gun rights organization.http://www.ploughshares.ca/libraries/monitor/mons04i.htm
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Whhoooooosh

Whoooosh indeed. This fighting for your rights and freedoms in Iraq line has got to be one of the most idotic things some one can say.

Iraq was no threat to any rights or freedoms in the US.

In your opinion
Abraham Lincoln

In your opinion

Yup. But I am willing to listen to some one explain to me how Iraq was a threat to freedom and rights in the US.

Quite frankly, I think American actions in Iraq have made the threat against freedom and rights in the US greater, not smaller.

In your opinion

Yup. But I am willing to listen to some one explain to me how Iraq was a threat to freedom and rights in the US.

Quite frankly, I think American actions in Iraq have made the threat against freedom and rights in the US greater, not smaller.

I do not agree but. The whole story will not be known for about another 18 years when docs are declassified

But for now I guess I am in the majority

http://original.antiwar.com/obrien/2010/09/05/do-americans-know-what-happened-in-iraq/

Yes, and I know what this site really it......
Abraham Lincoln

I work in a community mental health center. The truth is that we have very, very little ability to predict whether a person might become violent or not. I would be surprised if our predictive ability was higher than random chance. Diagnosis is clearly not a good indicator (so just whether he has PTSD or not tells you nothing). Being judged mentally incompetent is way to easy and often has nothing to do with any propensity towards violence. About the only reliable predictor we have for violent behavior is prior violent behavior. I am against blanket removal of rights due to mental illness but we see it all too often.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

From the link

A Fox News poll released last week indicates the majority of Americans feel the Iraq war was a success. It also suggests they want to get past it and focus on other things. This is good and bad. It is good that average Americans can put our invasion of Iraq in 2003 out of their minds. It is bad because it indicates they don’t know what happened, or don’t care.

According to the Fox News article, 900 people were surveyed by telephone and asked questions such as “Do you think the war was a success?” “Do you think the Iraqi people are better off now than before the war?” However, the survey didn’t ask some very important questions. For example, it didn’t ask the respondents questions such as “Have you ever been to Iraq?” “Have you ever read a book about the Iraq War?” “Do you know the number of Iraqis who died in the war?” These would be very interesting questions to ask along with the others. They would gauge the level of knowledge and awareness of the respondents to judge the veracity of the answers they gave. According to the Fox News article:

“Despite its contentious history, most American voters appear to have made a positive judgment about the country’s efforts in Iraq. Almost six in 10 (58 percent) voters think, overall, the United States ‘did the right thing’ by going to war, according to the latest Fox News poll.

“A little over one-third of voters (35 percent) take the opposite view – that the U.S. “did the wrong thing” by becoming involved militarily in Iraq. From a partisan perspective, there is still division – as 54 percent of Democrats think the U.S. did the wrong thing in Iraq, while only 14 percent of Republicans feel the same way. A slim majority of independents (52 percent) think the U.S. did the right thing in Iraq.”

Abraham Lincoln

Right...nothing about how Iraq threatened the rights and freedoms in the US.

In the big picture?

I think it did.

But that is another thread
Abraham Lincoln

According to the Fox News article, 900 people were surveyed by telephone and asked questions such as “Do you think the war was a success?”

If they ask it that way, I have no idea how to answer.

It was highly successful in getting rid of Saddam's regime, along with his sponsorship of terrorism in the region. While the jury is still out, I suspect it will soon be shown to be a failure in promoting a long term stable government.

Whhoooooosh

Whoooosh indeed. This fighting for your rights and freedoms in Iraq line has got to be one of the most idotic things some one can say.

Iraq was no threat to any rights or freedoms in the US.

The air blast is correct. It's over your head.

The foot soldier doesn't get to choose what operations he undertakes, and to only engage in those that he thinks directly defend the rights of the citizens at home. He (or she) signs up to serve his country, and then the politicians in DC decide how that will be done. If you have a problem with his service, you take it up with Congress and the President.

“Despite its contentious history, most American voters appear to have made a positive judgment about the country’s efforts in Iraq. Almost six in 10 (58 percent) voters think, overall, the United States ‘did the right thing’ by going to war, according to the latest Fox News poll.***

From a CBS poll last month:

(Credit: CBS) CBS News Poll analysis by the CBS News Polling Unit: Sarah Dutton, Jennifer De Pinto, Fred Backus and Anthony Salvanto.

"With combat operations in Iraq coming to an end, most Americans believe the war is going well for the United States, a new CBS News survey finds. But nearly six in ten say it was a mistake to start the battle in the first place, and most say their country did not accomplish its objectives in Iraq."

Did you just state that the data shows the majority of Americans thought the war was worth it?

And of course the majority now say the war is going well, it is because we are getting our fucking ass out of there.

The foot soldier doesn't get to choose what operations he undertakes, and to only engage in those that he thinks directly defend the rights of the citizens at home. He (or she) signs up to serve his country, and then the politicians in DC decide how that will be done. If you have a problem with his service, you take it up with Congress and the President.

I completely agree. That still doesn't mean he is fighting to protect rights and freedom in the US. Just means he is fighting for the US.

I completely agree. That still doesn't mean he is fighting to protect rights and freedom in the US. Just means he is fighting for the US.

so in your mind - the guys who fought in WW2 did it for the people, but the poor guys who got drafted into Vietnam didn't? And everyone in Iraq volunteered, though some may not have fully realized it when they took scholarships with ROTC.

No, you have to treat the guys in Iraq the same way you do those who patrolled the bridges and airports after 9/11. They collectively serve for the nation.

No, you have to treat the guys in Iraq the same way you do those who patrolled the bridges and airports after 9/11. They collectively serve for the nation.

Sure, treat them the same. They are making sacrifices for their countries and that is very commendable.

Still makes the statement that they are protecting freedom and rights in the US while fighting in Iraq....well bullshit.

Serving in the military is not the same as protecting rights and freedom in the US.

Sure, treat them the same. They are making sacrifices for their countries and that is very commendable.

Still makes the statement that they are protecting freedom and rights in the US while fighting in Iraq....well bullshit.

Serving in the military is not the same as protecting rights and freedom in the US.

Perhaps you could clarify what part of serving your country is not protecting it?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Perhaps you could clarify what part of serving your country is not protecting it?

When serving your country by invading Iraq. That doesn't protect the rights and freedom in the US at all.

That is such a load of opinionated shit.

Join the US military, serve your time, then com back and say the same thing if it applies.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun