riddler

Sheriff's deputy beats inmate until his leg breaks

The cop lost his job, justifiably!

Not only that, he should be in jail. This idiot cop cost that city a few million dollars. I can't wait to see the lawsuit this guy will file.

I know, that's right! He's probably got 'ambulance chasers' lined-up in front of his house.

Chuck

I know, the inmate shouldn't get a dime, if he were never incarcerrated he never would have been beaten; it's his fault.

BTW, ambulance chasing is aginst the bar rules; it's a figure of speech.

It still goes-on. They're all over the t.v.!

Chuck

That's not ambulance chasing. AC is when an attny approaches a person in teh midst of their distress and offers svs for hire.

I agree. I can fully understand if he does sue the city. By having that cop in their employ, the city, 'approved' him. I feel, the city is just as responsible for the cop's actions as he is. What I was getting at was in regard to all the lawyers wanting to 'cash-in' on it.

Chuck

Lawyers can't pursue him to see if they want to secure his svs in teh mode you're talking about, at least not in AZ and prolly in most/all jurisdictions, but why care about the lawyers? This guy should cash in, I won't say to create the fantasy of deterrence, but just because it's due him. If there were no lawyers, there would be no settlement andhe would get zero.

I know, lawyers can't persue 'victims' or anyone else. I was just trying to say, the guy will cash in and probably, rightfully so. BTW... what is 'teh mode'?

Chuck

The guy will chose his own lawyer and cash in, yes; that's not ambulance chasing.

Mode = way they operate, could be M.O. = Modus Operendi, etc.

Police as a group - as another poster said, that is the problem; they are pigs as a group with a few good ones. Also, the courts allow them to get away with murder, so the problem is systemic and isn't getting better.

Since you clearly seperate the two, 'pigs' and the few 'good ones'. What's your definition of a 'pig'?

Police as a group - as another poster said, that is the problem; they are pigs as a group with a few good ones. Also, the courts allow them to get away with murder, so the problem is systemic and isn't getting better.

Since you clearly seperate the two, 'pigs' and the few 'good ones'. What's your definition of a 'pig'?

Dirty cop; isn't that clear? Also, I don't get that emotional about semantics, names, laberls as conservatives do. I'm more about substantive effect over silly things like names, flags, etc. That's why guys like me and gusy like you don't get each other; you would die for your flag, I would not, I would die for my country if it were in distress. Again, silly semantics / symbolism over substance.

Dirty cop; isn't that clear?

Yeah, that's clear.

Also, I don't get that emotional about semantics, names, laberls as conservatives do.

I was not emotional. Just wanted for you to clarify what you meant by pig.

I'm more about substantive effect over silly things like names, flags, etc.

Ok

That's why guys like me and gusy like you don't get each other;

You clearly don't get me if you think I get pissed over flags.

you would die for your flag, I would not, I would die for my country if it were in distress.

I would? Why would I die for a flag? Its only a piece of clothe. Burn it, spit on it, wipe your ass with it....its not my money :P

Again, silly semantics / symbolism over substance.

Dude, chill out. You're getting all emotional over my post. All I did was ask you what you meant by pig. No need to go on about flags and semantics :)
I would not go as far as saying that most cops are dirty, but there's definately enough that something needs to be done about it. Especially when you consider the ones who don't do things (like in the video), but sit by and watch their peers do it. They're just as guilty.

Police officers should be held to higher standards period.

bull - so it's less of a crime if an accountant beats on someone and breaks their leg??? :S

police officers should be held to the same standards as all of us - everyone should be held to the same standards - else you get crap when one person gets more punishment for the exact same crimes as someone else based on stupid stuff - like career, income, color, sex, etc etc etc - instead of just their actions - actions should define the punishment

when they commit a crime on another (such as criminal assault), then they should go to trial and be punished - just like the rest of us

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>bull - so it's less of a crime if an accountant beats on someone and
>breaks their leg?

In effect, yes. If an accountant gets into a bar fight, and breaks someone's leg (and gets bloodied in the process) that is different than arresting someone using the force of law, holding them down and beating them until their leg breaks.

bull - so it's less of a crime if an accountant beats on someone and breaks their leg???

It's not against the law to fight back against the accountant.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

they should of fired all of them...the pussy ass motherfucker closing the van doors that could of easily stepped in and stopped the beating of a restrained person...and any and all other officers or employees who were witness and did nothing to step in and do the right thing protect the prisoner..

completely unacceptable the deputy is a fucking coward and has a completely unprofessional attitude and disposition to deal with his job...the guy should be prosecuted and in prison where his attitude of beating people when things dont go his way are more acceptable.....except he would have the advantage of a restrained opponenet

complete fucking pussy! as are all the cops in that building that let it go down
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

bull - so it's less of a crime if an accountant beats on someone and breaks their leg??? :S

police officers should be held to the same standards as all of us

Through their jobs policemen are regularly put in positions of extreme power over other people. An acountant isn't allowed to handcuff you or hold you against your will in a locked room.

It probably should be taken into account in a case like this that the policemen has also severely abused his position of power and priviledge as well as comitting the actual assault.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

bull - so it's less of a crime if an accountant beats on someone and breaks their leg???

Wendy P.

I still don't hold the accountant to a lesser moral standard than the cop, the engineer, the doctor or the garbageman. I hold "people" to standards and don't expect more or less from anyone different from me or others.

I have learned to have different "expectations" from individuals, but it's rarely tied to their jobs.

If you mean to have different 'qualification criteria' for becoming a cop, I'm ok with that. As for punishment? If someone wants to establish a separate punishment for assaulting someone in handcuffs, then that's fine - but the same punishment should apply to the accountant who would handcuff his victim also.

This "cop" wasn't acting as a cop. he was acting as a jerk and a criminal - and should be treated as such.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It probably should be taken into account in a case like this that the policemen has also severely abused his position of power and privilege as well as committing the actual assault.

absolutely, as one would with anyone with special knowledge or position -

the problem with the statement "I'd hold (those guys) to a higher standard" is just a cop out for someone to hold themselves to a lower standard and feel good about it or to justify classism by group.

Standards are universal. The statement implies an aristocratic mindset and despite to lesser beings. I find it as repugnant as someone saying they'd hold someone of a certain skin color to higher/lower standards than another color. It completely ignores the concept of a free individual and buckets people into stereotypes.

Wendy P.

I still don't hold the accountant to a lesser moral standard than the cop, the engineer, the doctor or the garbageman. I hold "people" to standards and don't expect more or less from anyone different from me or others.

I have learned to have different "expectations" from individuals, but it's not tied to their jobs. It's tied to their demonstrate actions.

If you mean to have different 'qualification criteria' for becoming a cop, I'm ok with that. As for punishment? If someone wants to establish a separate punishment for assaulting someone in handcuffs, then that's fine - but the same punishment should apply to the accountant who would handcuff his victim also.

This "cop" wasn't acting as a cop. he was acting as a jerk and a criminal - and should be treated as such.

I guess I see the assault (as a pure assault) as one thing; that's unaffected by who did the assaulting. However, there should be additional penalty (maybe tied to "abuse of official power") for the police officer. Because, frankly, it is worse to abuse someone who can be arrested for resisting abuse.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>bull - so it's less of a crime if an accountant beats on someone and
>breaks their leg?

In effect, yes. If an accountant gets into a bar fight, and breaks someone's leg (and gets bloodied in the process) that is different than arresting someone using the force of law, holding them down and beating them until their leg breaks.

so are you disagreeing with my position that the cop should be tried for assault? That's the same legal standard as anyone else that beat on someone....

I guess I see the assault (as a pure assault) as one thing; that's unaffected by who did the assaulting. However, there should be additional penalty (maybe tied to "abuse of official power") for the police officer. Because, frankly, it is worse to abuse someone who can be arrested for resisting abuse.

Wendy P.

I'm with you on that. But that's law, not standards.

It could apply to anyone with special position or knowledge - doctors poisoning a patient, accountants stealing money, martial arts experts/cops/pro fighters/etc attacking someone.

The only thing I can think of that's specially for cops/military/law enforcement ---- is punishment for standing aside while a crime is being committed - that's about duty - the civilian has no obligation to stop a crime, but LE should.

I can't find this vid anymore - but when I see a cop beating on someone like this, the real tragedy isn't the beat down (sad, but stuff happens), or the bad cop (there are bad apples in all jobs), but the fact that most of the time, there's a partner or other cops that stand there and won't do their duty and stop him.

>so are you disagreeing with my position that the cop should be tried for assault?

Nope. Just with your position that an accountant beating someone is the same as an on-duty cop beating someone. Law enforcement have different rights and responsibilities when it comes to using force with the general public.

The only thing uncommon about that is that it's captured on video.

...and they wonder why they, as a group, get no respect.
:S

They don't? Heck, I respect them as a group. I respect them because I know that most are honorable men and women doing a job they get little thanks for.

This is not a thread about the military, this is a thread about dirty pigs, as you were.

The commenet I responded to was directed at police as a group, not just the bad ones. Please try to pay attention.
And I was never a cop, let alone a "dirty pig".

As you were menat to be ab independent statement, not an assertion that you were ever a cop - poor punctuation.

Have any viable data to back up your claim that more cops are bad than good? Or your claim that the courts "let them get away with murder" ?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

they should of fired all of them

You're right. That's something subtle, but powerful, about the video. The other cops standing around, watching, doing nothing. This lends credibility to the earlier poster's argument that the police are in cahoots.

Part of the job of the police should be to police each other. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be in the police, and they should be prosecuted for being an accessory.

One of the other cops should have tased this Deputy.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

they should of fired all of them

You're right. That's something subtle, but powerful, about the video. The other cops standing around, watching, doing nothing. This lends credibility to the earlier poster's argument that the police are in cahoots.

Part of the job of the police should be to police each other. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be in the police, and they should be prosecuted for being an accessory.

One of the other cops should have tased this Deputy.

Beyond an accessory they have a very distinct special relationship contract with the public that they cannot look the other way. You or I can watch a person being murdered and do nothing, a cop cannot and must respond. Of course the courts won't enforce that.

They don't? Heck, I respect them as a group. I respect them because I know that most are honorable men and women doing a job they get little thanks for.

This is not a thread about the military, this is a thread about dirty pigs, as you were.

The commenet I responded to was directed at police as a group, not just the bad ones. Please try to pay attention.

As you were menat to be ab independent statement, not an assertion that you were ever a cop - poor punctuation.

Have any viable data to back up your claim that more cops are bad than good? Or your claim that the courts "let them get away with murder" ?

Yea, they really keep data on dirty cops and most of it goes unreported or uninvestgated/unenforced, so just go on pig-loving and pretending it's just 1 bad one here or there.

I've witnessed the courts letting one go on murder, observed cases where 2nd degree gets charged as a traffic ticket. The only reason they charge it that way is to avoid double jeopardy and immunize the murdering piggy from further charges.

police officers should be held to the same standards as all of us - everyone should be held to the same standards - else you get crap when one person gets more punishment for the exact same crimes as someone else based on stupid stuff - like career, income, color, sex, etc etc etc - instead of just their actions - actions should define the punishment

when they commit a crime on another (such as criminal assault), then they should go to trial and be punished - just like the rest of us

The only problem with that is that cops have a special relationship withteh public; that agravates the crime.

Yea, they really keep data on dirty cops and most of it goes unreported or uninvestgated/unenforced, so just go on pig-loving and pretending it's just 1 bad one here or there.

I've witnessed the courts letting one go on murder, observed cases where 2nd degree gets charged as a traffic ticket. The only reason they charge it that way is to avoid double jeopardy and immunize the murdering piggy from further charges.

So you're just blowin' smoke based on your own prejudices with no data at all to back up your claims.
In other words...business as usual.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

YES. An accountant is not trained to enforce laws, keep the peace, protect persons and property. Nor does an accountant have the legal protection held by cops. Can't you see the clear distinction. A cop has more power than any normal citizen and thus should be held to higher standards. Period.

So this is just a case of plain and simple criminal assault. Just one man beating the crap out of another. :S If that's how you think then there is no clear distinction between murder in the first and manslaughter since it's just the act of killing a human being.

So you're just blowin' smoke based on your own prejudices with no data at all to back up your claims.
In other words...business as usual.

Yea, pot - kettle. Do I need to post data that you ignored that's just a couple threadfs away? Yea, 100 years of tax rates? Uh huh, you ought to let that one go. It's about as ridiculous as you can get to think any credible data or data alone is collected and tabulated for dirty cops. Love it, I had a tool in a fidd forum ask me for data about all the innocent people executed since Gregg v Georgia in 1976; guess what? They don't make those admissions, just like dirty cops - it just won't be admitted.