skyrider

She May Claim To No Longer Be Racist

From your posting history, you seem to have a lot of problem with black people living in your country. Why is that?

Nice try at a spin, but this is in the news lately, as are the black panthers...So any opinion on his words? or only a person attack?[:/]

I posted in support of her words, I thought she was simply showing she had turned her life around, (her uotes were taken Way out of context!

But then I see her husband preaching this garbage, it makes me think she is simply acting![:/]

From your posting history, you seem to have a lot of problem with black people living in your country. Why is that?

Nice try at a spin, but this is in the news lately, as are the black panthers...So any opinion on his words? or only a person attack?[:/]

I posted in support of her words, I thought she was simply showing she had turned her life around, (her uotes were taken Way out of context!

But then I see her husband preaching this garbage, it makes me think she is simply acting![:/]

Hell, most politicians should be allowed to recieve Oscars for their performances... especially at election time.

Chuck

Dude, I gotta ask ya.... Are ya skeered of the dark, or just skeeered of the darkies?

'We Are All Racists At Heart'
By AMY WAX and PHILIP E. TETLOCK
December 1, 2005; Page A16

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB113340432267610972.html
NOTE: Article has been archived

It was once easy to spot a racial bigot: The casual use of the n-word, the sweeping hostility, and the rigid unwillingness to abandon vulgar stereotypes left little doubt that a person harbored prejudice toward blacks as a group. But 50 years of survey research has shown a sharp decline in overt racial prejudice. Instead of being a cause for celebration, however, this trend has set off an ever more strident insistence in academia that whites are pervasively biased.

Some psychologists went low-tech: They simply expanded the definition of racism to include any endorsement of politically conservative views grounded in the values of self-reliance and individual responsibility. Opposition to busing, affirmative action or generous welfare programs were tarred as manifestations of "modern" or symbolic racism.

Others took a high-tech path: Racists could be identified by ignoring expressed beliefs and tapping into the workings of the unconscious mind. Thus was born the so-called "implicit association test." The IAT builds on the fact that people react faster to the word "butter" if they have just seen the word "bread" momentarily flashed on a screen. The quicker response suggests that the mind closely associates those concepts. Applying this technique, researchers such as Mahzarin Banaji of Harvard have found that people recognize "negative" words such as "angry," "criminal" or "poor" more quickly after being momentarily exposed to a black (as opposed to a white) face. And this effect holds up for the vast majority of white respondents -- and sometimes even for majorities of blacks.

What do investigators conclude from their findings that "blackness" often primes bad associations and "whiteness" good ones? According to some, it shows that prejudice permeates our unconscious minds and is not just confined to the 10% of hard-core bigots. Know it or not, we are all vessels of racial bias. From this sweeping conclusion, based on a small if intriguing scientific finding, social scientists, legal scholars, opinion leaders and "diversity experts" leap from thought to conduct and from unconscious association to harmful actions. Because most of us are biased, these individuals claim, we can safely assume that every aspect of social life -- every school, institution, organization and workplace -- is a bastion of discrimination. The most strenuous measures, whether they be diversity programs, bureaucratic oversight, accountability or guilt-ridden self-monitoring, cannot guarantee a level playing field.

What is wrong with this picture? In the first place, split-second associations between negative stimuli and minority group images don't necessarily imply unconscious bias. Such associations may merely reflect awareness of common cultural stereotypes. Not everyone who knows the stereotypes necessarily endorses them.

Or the associations might reflect simple awareness of the social reality: Some groups are more disadvantaged than others, and more individuals in these groups are likely to behave in undesirable ways. Consider the two Jesses -- Jackson and Helms. Both know that the black family is in trouble, that crime rates in this community are far too high, and that black educational test scores are too low. That common awareness might lead to sympathy, to indifference, or to hostility. Because the IAT can distinguish none of these parameters, both kinds of Jesses often get similar, failing scores on tests of unconscious association.

Measures of unconscious prejudice are especially untrustworthy predictors of discriminatory behavior. MIT psychologist Michael Norton has recently noted that there is virtually no published research showing a systematic link between racist attitudes, overt or subconscious, and real-world discrimination. A few studies show that openly-biased persons sometimes favor whites over blacks in simulations of job hiring and promotion. But no research demonstrates that, after subtracting the influence of residual old-fashioned prejudice, split-second reactions in the laboratory predict real-world decisions. On the contrary, the few results available suggest that persons who are "high bias" on subconscious criteria are no more likely than others to treat minorities badly and may sometimes even favor them.

There is likewise no credible proof that actual business behavior is pervasively influenced by unconscious racial prejudice. This should not be surprising. Demonstrating racial bias is no easy matter because there is often no straightforward way to detect discrimination of any kind, let alone discrimination that is hidden from those doing the deciding. As anyone who has ever tried a job-discrimination case knows, showing that an organization is systematically skewed against members of one group requires a benchmark for how each worker would be treated if race or sex never entered the equation. This in turn depends on defining the standards actually used to judge performance, a task that often requires meticulous data collection and abstruse statistical analysis.

Assuming everyone is biased makes the job easy: The problem of demonstrating actual discrimination goes away and claims of discrimination become irrefutable. Anything short of straight group representation -- equal outcomes rather than equal opportunity -- is "proof" that the process is unfair.

Advocates want to have it both ways. On the one hand, any steps taken against discrimination are by definition insufficient, because good intentions and traditional checks on workplace prejudice can never eliminate unconscious bias. On the other, researchers and "diversity experts" purport to know what's needed and do not hesitate to recommend more expensive and strenuous measures to purge pervasive racism. There is no more evidence that such efforts dispel supposed unconscious racism than that such racism affects decisions in the first place.

But facts have nothing to do with it. What began as science has morphed into unassailable faith. However we think, feel or act, and however much apparent progress has been made, there is no hope for us. We are all racists at heart.

Ms. Wax is professor of law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Mr. Tetlock is the Lorraine Tyson Mitchell Endowed Professor in the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

prejudice permeates our unconscious minds and is not just confined to the 10% of hard-core bigots.

Of course we all have our base animal instincts and desires. To steal the unguarded money. To fuck the other guy's wife. To shoot the boss, grind up his putrid corpse and feed it to his dog.

To act out bigotry.

Maturity and decency call upon people to suppress those urges. It's called growing up.

Taking posting lessons from dreamdancer?:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

you've started a thread about race - that means you must be racist :)

If anybody exemplifies your point

you do:S
Abraham Lincoln

prejudice permeates our unconscious minds and is not just confined to the 10% of hard-core bigots.

Of course we all have our base animal instincts and desires. To steal the unguarded money. To fuck the other guy's wife. To shoot the boss, grind up his putrid corpse and feed it to his dog.

To act out bigotry.

Maturity and decency call upon people to suppress those urges. It's called growing up.

Please

Keep trying
Abraham Lincoln

It's quite funny, it's pretty clear many posters on here are racist. But the thing is they all just refuse to admit it, the question isn't whether they are racist or not- it's whether they are denying it because they've really made themselves believe otherwise or simply because it would get them hated on.

It isn't difficult to pick out the people who let their true side show when they're with their friends in the comfort of their own living room, or in a bar.

But they will continue to deny it, over and over. Yup, no one on this forum is a racist. Because no one ever admits it, we all live in a perfect world here where everything said is all non-racial.

Not going to try say a certain thread is a 'racist thread' but it's pretty clear to see all those who have all the vented up racial issues inside them, but at the same time try to appear as though they aren't racists.

If you're going to hate, hate everyone- it's far more effective.

Funny how so many people that talk about being able to perceive racism in these threads (just AMAZING, the power of telepathy y'all have) can only seem to see it originating from one side.

Oh, wait... I forgot - only white people can be racist....nevermind.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not at all...

But show me a list of black people using dz.com who constantly make race related posts.

Oh right, sorry...

Just because every second post is race related doesn't hint that there's racism in that person. There's no evidence for that... What a silly assumption. Here I was thinking I could use logic... Clearly that's not the case, I guess I'll need to go catch people in KKK costumes burning a cross.. Wait... that still proves nothing- oh well, guess there's no hope for proving my accusations.

But you're totally right, there's far more chance that there are no racists on this forum rather than people pretending they're not.

Not at all...

But show me a list of black people using dz.com who constantly make race related posts.

Oh right, sorry...

Show me the people arguing against the law instead of crying 'racism, racism'....

Oh right, sorry...

Just because every second post is race related doesn't hint that there's racism in that person. There's no evidence for that... What a silly assumption.

Correct.

Here I was thinking I could use logic...

Why start now?

Clearly that's not the case, I guess I'll need to go catch people in KKK costumes burning a cross.. Wait... that still proves nothing- oh well, guess there's no hope for proving my accusations.

You just laid out exactly the reverse of the NBPP thread. Of course, the NBPP guy *DID* talk about killing 'cracker babies'.

Oh, I forgot - that's perfectly fine, isn't it? After all, only whites can be racist.

But you're totally right, there's far more chance that there are no racists on this forum rather than people pretending they're not.

Thanks for proving the point - here's your card.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Where do you come to the assumption that I was okay with what the NBPP said? I think the leaders of the NBPP are very much racist. It goes both ways and I'm not afraid to admit that.

I live in South Africa for Christ's sake, there's plenty of racism going both ways here. In fact it's basically the opposite of the US. It's harder to find a job if you're NOT black.

Racism is equally retarded going both ways. But with that said, if I were black I'd hate whites too for the way they treated my forefathers. Whites just tend to like to moan about nothing.

And as much as I appreciate the gesture with that race card, I think it'd be more appropriate given to he whom CREATES the race debates, not he who comments on them.

Where do you come to the assumption that I was okay with what the NBPP said?

I didn't say you were - most of the 'you're a bunch of racists' posters seem to be just fine with it, though.

I think the leaders of the NBPP are very much racist. It goes both ways and I'm not afraid to admit that.

But somehow, you can't seem to say anything in THIS thread about Sherrod's statements - you just make allegations about how RACIST people are to mention it.

And as much as I appreciate the gesture with that race card, I think it'd be more appropriate given to he whom CREATES the race debates, not he who comments on them.

I'm sure you would - unfortunately, playing the race card doesn't work that way.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I can't believe anyone would be okay with such sentiments. There is no way to justify what the NBPP leader said.

My problem is that the posts about racism against whites are usually about 1 single incident. Can you imagine if I decided to post a thread about every racist (towards blacks) happening in the world... There would be nothing else on this forum.

As I said before though, it's not like whites in the US have a rough life on average compared to the average black man. So when I see threads about whites bitching about some isolated racist incidents it pisses me off, considering their lives are aces compared to the lives of most of the blacks who complain about racism. I feel blacks have the right to complain because of the fact that they are in a far more oppressive state than the average white. Whites complaining about a black man making a racist statement is annoying, if they were to catch up for the amount of racism that gets thrown their way they'd have to be spewing anti-white racism every second, but in general they don't. So to me it's just looking for things to complain about

As I said before though, it's not like whites in the US have a rough life on average compared to the average black man.

And you know this how, living in S. Africa, pray tell?

So when I see threads about whites bitching about some isolated racist incidents it pisses me off, considering their lives are aces compared to the lives of most of the blacks who complain about racism.

As above.

I feel blacks have the right to complain because of the fact that they are in a far more oppressive state than the average white. Whites complaining about a black man making a racist statement is annoying, if they were to catch up for the amount of racism that gets thrown their way they'd have to be spewing anti-white racism every second, but in general they don't. So to me it's just looking for things to complain about

So, it's ok for blacks to complain about racism, but whites need to just shut up - got it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

To me, the CORRECT definition of "playing the race card" is basically accusing someone of having a race-based or racism-based motive when it is not the case, and thus that accusation is not warranted. So you try to demonize or neutralize them by playing the race card, i.e., casting upon them the stigma of being a racist.

And then there's the ABUSE of the term "race card". See, some accusations of racism are warranted, of course. Those accusations are not "playing the race card"; they are simply on-target criticism: it is identifying racism for what it is. The abusers of the term, which is to say, either (a) the racists, or (b) the chronic defenders of those rightly accused of racism, will then try to neutralize the critic by wrongfully accusing the critic of "playing the race card".

It's spin, and demagoguery, and intellectual dishonesty.

So you see, not all criticism of racism is "playing the race card". But saying that it is, is a tried and true method of trying to neutralize you.

(3...2...1.....)

It isn't exactly rocket science. I'm sure you are well aware of the demographics for both imprisonments, wealth and general social troubles.

But I often forget that people like to just pretend the poor don't exist and choose to pretend like there isn't an obvious racial correlation.

Yeah, pretty much. That's it for me. Unless the racism becomes an actual problem. Are you going to sit there and say you actually get offended or your life changes in any way by these anti-white racist comments. Because then I'd love to have seen you put up with complete oppression and social segregation and then STILL have people going at your colour. I don't support it either way as I said, but I think if I were black I'd feel after decades of oppression and still being treated like shit I'd earn the right to take a few shots back at 'The man'.

So it basically boils down to, are you really offended when black people say racist things. Which if you are, fair enough... But then I'd hate to have seen you go through what they went through.

It isn't exactly rocket science. I'm sure you are well aware of the demographics for both imprisonments, wealth and general social troubles.

Sure isn't (rocket science, that is), and I'm aware of the demographics.

But I often forget that people like to just pretend the poor don't exist and choose to pretend like there isn't an obvious racial correlation.

You want to debate, then debate - enough with the appeals to emotion.

Show me this 'obvious racial correlation' - and be forewarned, I'm going to turn around and point you to Bill Cosby's lectures on the subject when you do.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706