dgskydive

This is why we need better security on the Mexican Border....this is why AZ. passed their law.

Up-date...
That 15-yr. old Mexican boy who was shot and killed by the Border Patrol, was a 'known' human smuggler who got $50.00 per head had been arrested several times in the past but was always let go. Also, Agents 'can use deadly force' when being pelted by rocks. Other than that, not much is being said about the case because of an on-going investigation. Mexico wants the U.S. to turn the agent over to them.

Chuck

What is the source for this update? It sure sounds like a great spin on the story. This is just the kind of story that can get spun out of control (by both sides).

in one thread you berate readers for not doing some simple googling yet here you're too lazy to follow your own advice.
http://www.google.com/search?q=15+year+old+shot+border+patrol
look... first hit. how about that

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/us/26brfs-TEENAGERSHOT_BRF.html
--
Rob

Up-date...
That 15-yr. old Mexican boy who was shot and killed by the Border Patrol, was a 'known' human smuggler who got $50.00 per head had been arrested several times in the past but was always let go. Also, Agents 'can use deadly force' when being pelted by rocks. Other than that, not much is being said about the case because of an on-going investigation. Mexico wants the U.S. to turn the agent over to them.

Chuck

What is the source for this update? It sure sounds like a great spin on the story. This is just the kind of story that can get spun out of control (by both sides).

in one thread you berate readers for not doing some simple googling yet here you're too lazy to follow your own advice.
http://www.google.com/search?q=15+year+old+shot+border+patrol
look... first hit. how about that

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/us/26brfs-TEENAGERSHOT_BRF.html

Yes. I was a bit lazy, perhaps. But I did want to see the specific source that you had found. So ... thank you.;)

Up-date...
That 15-yr. old Mexican boy who was shot and killed by the Border Patrol, was a 'known' human smuggler who got $50.00 per head had been arrested several times in the past but was always let go. Also, Agents 'can use deadly force' when being pelted by rocks. Other than that, not much is being said about the case because of an on-going investigation. Mexico wants the U.S. to turn the agent over to them. Chuck

The kid's record as a smuggler is probably irrelevant to the shooting, and is a distraction. The investigation should focus only on whether the officer did or did not exceed the rules of engagement for deadly force given the exact circumstances of the incident. Rocks certainly are a form of deadly weapon. But different weapons have different levels of efficiency, depending on countless case-by-case variables. It may or may not be easier to retreat from thrown rocks than from bullets. Hypothetically (by way of comparative example), hesitation in returning gunfire with gunfire (or attempting to retreat from gunfire rather than returning fire) could cost an officer his life.

So I think a reasonable, objective investigator must examine: could the officer have safely retreated from the rocks without firing his weapon, or did the circumstances require him to fire when he did in self-defense; or in other words, would the officer's hesitation likely have resulted in his serious injury or death? That's where the focus should be. Anything else is just emotion or distraction, and should be avoided.

Up-date...
That 15-yr. old Mexican boy who was shot and killed by the Border Patrol, was a 'known' human smuggler who got $50.00 per head had been arrested several times in the past but was always let go. Also, Agents 'can use deadly force' when being pelted by rocks. Other than that, not much is being said about the case because of an on-going investigation. Mexico wants the U.S. to turn the agent over to them. Chuck

The kid's record as a smuggler is probably irrelevant to the shooting, and is a distraction. The investigation should focus only on whether the officer did or did not exceed the rules of engagement for deadly force given the exact circumstances of the incident. Rocks certainly are a form of deadly weapon. But different weapons have different levels of efficiency, depending on countless case-by-case variables. It may or may not be easier to retreat from thrown rocks than from bullets. Hypothetically (by way of comparative example), hesitation in returning gunfire with gunfire (or attempting to retreat from gunfire rather than returning fire) could cost an officer his life.

So I think a reasonable, objective investigator must examine: could the officer have safely retreated from the rocks without firing his weapon, or did the circumstances require him to fire when he did in self-defense; or in other words, would the officer's hesitation likely have resulted in his serious injury or death? That's where the focus should be. Anything else is just emotion or distraction, and should be avoided.

The kids histopry is important to the public, (not in court) so the bleeding hearts might open their eye's and see this was no "Innocent teen"..

I am sure his history will not play out much in court!

The kids histopry is important to the public, (not in court) so the bleeding hearts might open their eye's and see this was no "Innocent teen"..

As I said, it's just emotion and distraction, and should be avoided, because it's irrelevant: Last time I checked, being a smuggler isn't a death penalty offense in the US.

So if it's important to you, fine. But I'm really not interested in the dick-swinging side of the discussion.

As I said, it's just emotion and distraction, and should be avoided, because it's irrelevant: Last time I checked, being a smuggler isn't a death penalty offense in the US.

But being a smuggler makes you more like to escalate a situation than some innocent kid caught in the wrong place.

Up-date...

Well, the Feds are handling the whole matter. I hope, the agent involved, doesn't become some kind os scape-goat or sacrificial lamb. With all the investigators be so closed-mouth about it, we may never know the real details. I'm sure, that kid's 'record' will never come-out in court. It just points-out, this kid was no altar boy!

Chuck

But being a smuggler makes you more like to escalate a situation than some innocent kid caught in the wrong place.

You bet!
Drug an human smugglers also hire kids to act as a distraction. Rock throwing from Mexican Nationals toward Border Patrol agents is quite common along the southwest border. Once again, all in efforts to 'aid' smugglers and illegals. The kid involved was well within 'the age of reason' and he knew what he was doing was wrong. He was intending to injure the agents as were all the others throwing rocks. The agents aren't trained to run and hide and holler 'uncle'.

Chuck

What is the source for this update? It sure sounds like a great spin on the story.

Not hard to find......

Let Me Google That for You

And now you can pick your source.

Here is one (the first one that came up for me)

A 15-year-old Mexican boy shot and killed by a U.S. Border Patrol agent was among El Paso's most wanted juvenile immigrant smugglers, according to federal arrest records reviewed by The Associated Press.