turtlespeed

So - I have an idea how to close off the leak in the gulf.

Maybe they could put Rush Limbaugh's mouth over the hole. The amount of hot air he produces will overcome any amount of pressure from below.

And the oil execs asses. Stuff them down the hole and if that doesn't stop the leak at least they won't be around to cause any more shit like this.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

No - I'm not a mechanical engineer or anything of the like.

Tell us, then, WHAT are your engineering credentials? (and yes, that IS relevant).

Basic experience and trial and error.
Did you miss the part that you quoted?
Are you trying to read something into this?

Where is your contribution? Where is your attempt at tryig to fix the problem vs whining about it incessantly?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Don't kid yourself dude, this was not a 'contribution'.

At least I have the want to try to fix it. Unlike those that are just posting dribble and expect someone else to do it all for them.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Too bad, Red Adair is no longer with us. There's always 'Boots and Coots'... they could cap it.

Coots died just before the blowout (at 86), and the company is being acquired (maybe) by Halliburton. But I'd hope that every single person with that kind of expertise (like, for instance, Boots) is at least being consulted for their opinion.

Wendy P.

Thanks for the info, Wendy!
I've been away from the oil patch for some time and hadn't kept-up. It sure couldn't hurt to consult him. With his knowledge and all...

Chuck

At least I have the want to try to fix it. Unlike those that are just posting dribble and expect someone else to do it all for them.

Someone else does have to do it for us. Someone else has to do it for you, too - no matter how many DIY 'solutions' you want to post here. None of us posting here has the expertise or resources to head off into the Gulf and plug the leak.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Someone else does have to do it for us. Someone else has to do it for you, too - no matter how many DIY 'solutions' you want to post here. None of us posting here has the expertise or resources to head off into the Gulf and plug the leak.

Thanks for giving up - That's a good liberal.

Wouldn't want a little competition to muddle your sense of entitlement.

Thanks for giving up

Giving up what?

Wouldn't want a little competition to muddle your sense of entitlement.

Competition for what?

Exactly!
Why would you even want to try to come up with a solution. They owe it to you.

>is that relative or absolute pressure?

Relative. So absolute is around 3700PSI. The tubing will see the relative pressure, around 1500PSI.

In addition, as the methane rises, it expands and the water mixed with it freezes. So you have a rapidly expanding plume full of methane, ice and oil; that's going to put any flexible hose to the test.

>is that relative or absolute pressure?

Relative. So absolute is around 3700PSI. The tubing will see the relative pressure, around 1500PSI.

In addition, as the methane rises, it expands and the water mixed with it freezes. So you have a rapidly expanding plume full of methane, ice and oil; that's going to put any flexible hose to the test.

But if there is never any real pressure in the hose?
What I mean is, what if the hose never fills up - the pumps take over and decrease the pressure befdore it is an issue?

Why would you even want to try to come up with a solution.

I would want to because it would, I think you'll agree, be a good thing if the leak stopped. I haven't because I have a firm grip on reality, and I realise that I don't know how. I don't have any knowledge, training or experience in the field and any effort I put into coming up with a 'solution' (ha!) would simply be so much mental masturbation. You can feel free to enjoy your wank if you want to, but it doesn't make you better than anyone else here.

They owe it to you.

Well, they broke it...

>At least I have the want to try to fix it. Unlike those that are just posting
>dribble and expect someone else to do it all for them.

It's great that you have suggestions. But that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

This is a really tough problem to solve, and a lot of engineers are spending 24-hour days trying to solve them. "Having an idea" is about .00000001% of the effort needed to do this. Don't kid yourself that you're doing anything more helpful than anyone else here.

I've seen a lot of such suggestions on the net, from using giant magnets, car batteries and ball bearings to using a nuclear bomb to 'melt' the hole shut. And while it's fine to suggest such things, they remind me of the people who cluster around a motorcycle accident victim. They can have all the suggestions they want - but when someone actually tries to yank that helmet off his head, hopefully someone with a little more knowledge is there to stop them.

no, but a completely unworkable and asinine solution we might come up with here, could give an engineer an idea that is workable.

it's called brainstorming.
--
Rob

no, but a completely unworkable and asinine solution we might come up with here, could give an engineer an idea that is workable.

Evidently it won't make any difference - because ideas don't actually mean anything anymore. - just see the post above yours,[:/]

Just give up - don't try - lay down and roll over and submit. The New Liberal Mantra

Evidently it won't make any difference - because ideas don't actually mean anything anymore. - just see the post above yours,[:/]

Just give up - don't try - lay down and roll over and submit. The New Liberal Mantra

Ok Mr Hero - who have you told about your idea?

How many people post here?

How many people are on Face book?

How many people are on My Space?

How many people are on the CNN web site forums?

>What I mean is, what if the hose never fills up - the pumps take over
>and decrease the pressure befdore it is an issue?

For that to happen - to recompress the oil into a riser of similar size to bring it to the surface - you'd need to compress all that natural gas back down to its original volume (pipe diameter) and pressure (1500PSI) at a rate of about 100,000 cubic feet per minute. The compressor needed to do that would require approximately 60 megawatts of power. That's most of the output of the biggest naval reactor we have (reactor from a Nimitz-class carrier, which can produce ~100mW.)

For that to work you'd also have to separate the oil and ice from the methane. Not sure how you'd do that at those flow rates.

Also the pump would have to be down there. You can't "suck" any appreciable volume from the surface; you can only get a 15PSI differential doing that due to basic physics.

OK Mr smartypants, read post 9 in this thread.
--
Rob

How many people post here?

How many people are on Face book?

How many people are on My Space?

How many people are on the CNN web site forums?

So... you've not even bothered to tell anyone in a position to do anything about it. Yeah, you're being real useful! Keep on making the difference there Champ:)

>Evidently it won't make any difference - because ideas don't
>actually mean anything anymore.

They never really did. Ideas are a dime a dozen; always have been.

Now, combine a good idea with a solid understanding of the problem, the background to implement the solution, the skills to analyze the feasibility of the solution, and the willingness to work hard to see it come to light - and you might just have something there.

>What I mean is, what if the hose never fills up - the pumps take over
>and decrease the pressure befdore it is an issue?

For that to happen - to recompress the oil into a riser of similar size to bring it to the surface - you'd need to compress all that natural gas back down to its original volume (pipe diameter) and pressure (1500PSI) at a rate of about 100,000 cubic feet per minute. The compressor needed to do that would require approximately 60 megawatts of power. That's most of the output of the biggest naval reactor we have (reactor from a Nimitz-class carrier, which can produce ~100mW.)

For that to work you'd also have to separate the oil and ice from the methane. Not sure how you'd do that at those flow rates.

Also the pump would have to be down there. You can't "suck" any appreciable volume from the surface; you can only get a 15PSI differential doing that due to basic physics.

ok.... completely brainstorming.

I;d seen mentions of "huge bladders" in some leak related story (might even be this thread). speaking conceptually, with a very large volume collection space, wouldn't the methane end up at the top and the oil at the bottom? they could be both pumped off appropriately. Separation would happen naturally. construction of these huge bladders and their position and connection to the leak, is another issue all together. but to solve one part of the problem isn't a bad thing to do.

I think the hardest problem to solve is going to be connecting something to where the oil is leaking. Once they can solve that problem, I'm sure they have other technologies that can do the jobs we're talking about. And even that problem has been solved, but not by ROV a mile away.
--
Rob

>Evidently it won't make any difference - because ideas don't
>actually mean anything anymore.

They never really did. Ideas are a dime a dozen; always have been.

Now, combine a good idea with a solid understanding of the problem, the background to implement the solution, the skills to analyze the feasibility of the solution, and the willingness to work hard to see it come to light - and you might just have something there.

So what is your solution? How much effort have you applied to this problem, besides arguing?