jdfreefly

A well reasoned argument on the Rand Paul controversy

1. Did we need that government intrusion back then?
  2. Looking back? Probaly
  3. Do we still need it today?
  4. Today? I dont think so. There will always be those that try to exclude groups for one reason or another. To that end then there will be those who will say we will always need laws to try and make fair. That makes it never ending

IMHO, even in saying this, which I think most people? on this board believe, from the tenor of the comments, is to admit that government action has played an important role in changes societal attitudes about race. Opinions didn't just change themselves from 1964 until today with no outside input, the facts of integration in neighborhoods, classrooms, and workplaces that flowed from the Civil Rights Act changed the way people thought. If now we do not think businesses would immediately go back to discriminating on the basis of race it is only because powerful government action has forced people to confront the relative costs and benefits of segregation vs. integration.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

>Which in turn means it is more widespread and common.

Yes - as is the converse. Stupidity, greed, intelligence, skill and vision are all amplified by our technology. But on a percentage basis, are more people nowadays building things up only to destroy them to gain short-term profit? Nope. That's been going on since Jesus was sold for thirty shekels.

We should remember the 2:1 Dem:Repub ration of the opponents of the act at the time of its passage, including algore's dad, bird, fullbright, etc.

“We have lost the South for a generation”; Lyndon B. Johnson, on signing the Civil Rights Act. He was an optimist, the south went R for 2 generations as the racists switched parties.

What about Algore's father, did he switch parties?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I dont think so. There will always be those that try to exclude groups for one reason or another. To that end then there will be those who will say we will always need laws to try and make fair. That makes it never ending

If you could take a cross country trip as a black man with his white blond wife and stop at all the small towns along the way, you might find it's needed far more than you think.

I see a few people have brought into the discussion PC rules that are enforced in an unfair way against Caucasians. I think you need to take a reasoned look at those things on a per case basis. Many times they are clear violations of the Civil Rights Act itself and it boggles my mind that they are allowed at all. If anything they should be proof that we still need the CRA in place.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

>Which in turn means it is more widespread and common.

Yes - as is the converse. Stupidity, greed, intelligence, skill and vision are all amplified by our technology. But on a percentage basis, are more people nowadays building things up only to destroy them to gain short-term profit? Nope. That's been going on since Jesus was sold for thirty shekels.

Technology allows far fewer to do far more with far less and impact more, particularly in the global economy. Even if percentages of people doing a particular behavior may be fairly constant, their impact can be far greater now.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If you could take a cross country trip as a black man with his white blond wife and stop at all the small towns along the way, you might find it's needed far more than you think.

And if that woman were to travel by herself, depending on the makeup of the different towns she may have people make her feel uncomfortable too. Substitute any race, gender, or orientation you wish and if they are the minority they may feel uncomfortable.

As long as all the laws are enforced for everyone equally, that's pretty much all a gov't can do. You can't legislate out prejudice itself, just unlawful behaviors.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I dont think so. There will always be those that try to exclude groups for one reason or another. To that end then there will be those who will say we will always need laws to try and make fair. That makes it never ending

I see a few people have brought into the discussion PC rules that are enforced in an unfair way against Caucasians. I think you need to take a reasoned look at those things on a per case basis. Many times they are clear violations of the Civil Rights Act itself and it boggles my mind that they are allowed at all. If anything they should be proof that we still need the CRA in place.

I understand what you are saying. But contrary to you comment my opinion is "reasoned" . And to some extent you make my point
It will never trully be gone. And in the corp world the reverse is happening more than you my belive. This I have seen
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If you are correct in your assertion that the CRA has control over how individuals view the personal relationships of others, it is even more egregious than I thought and should be immediately repealed.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.