dreamdancer

Shocking Black & Latino Imprisonment Rates the Result of Racist, Punitive Impulse

>you may not have noticed but women aren't as criminal as men . . .

Well, there ya go - and you can be just as justified saying that whites aren't as criminal as blacks.

except that, in reality, whites are just as criminal as blacks (men or women).
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

>you may not have noticed but women aren't as criminal as men . . .

Well, there ya go - and you can be just as justified saying that whites aren't as criminal as blacks.

Not according to this.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm

>except that, in reality, whites are just as criminal as blacks

In reality, apparently men are seven times more criminal than women, and blacks are 3.4 times more more criminal than whites.

except that men are more criminal than women all over the world. it's only in us society that blacks are found to be '3.4' times more criminal than whites.

why is that?

>i think we should compare white women against black women . ..

You think race matters but gender doesn't? Why, what a sexist and bigoted thing to say!

Bill you know very well anything done to a white person in the name of equality is not racism. ;)

DD, do we just grab random white people off the street and imprison them or just increase the sentences for whites convicted of a crime?

"Well, Mr. Smith, posession of marijuana in that quantity is usually a misdemeanor, but since you're white, it's now a felony with a mandatory life sentence as we need to increase the white percentages in prison." :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>it's only in us society that blacks are found to be '3.4' times more criminal
>than whites.

In the UK, there are 18 times as many blacks as whites (on a population basis) in jails.

In South Africa, 70% of the prison population is black and 4% is white. On a population basis, that means blacks are twice as likely to be imprisoned than whites.

Looks like it's as common as the gender bias. Want to try again?

>it's only in us society that blacks are found to be '3.4' times more criminal
>than whites.

In the UK, there are 18 times as many blacks as whites (on a population basis) in jails.

In South Africa, 70% of the prison population is black and 4% is white. On a population basis, that means blacks are twice as likely to be imprisoned than whites.

Looks like it's as common as the gender bias. Want to try again?

do you also think criminality has something to with the shape of the criminals' heads?

(as well as their colour)

>do you also think criminality has something to with the shape of the
>criminals' heads?

Well, given that you have admitted that you think men are more criminal than women, and that women's heads are, on average, smaller than men's, then yes - head shape (specifically head size) will show a bias towards larger heads among people in prison.

no, you wake up. whites are just as likely to murder or rape as blacks or latinos but they don't end up in maximum security or on death row. why is that?

No. Black people kill much more often than white people and statistics suggest higher sexual assault rates too.

The 2000 Census reports that 69.13% of us are white and 12.06% of us are black.

The 2008 Uniform Crime Reports show 32.8% of murderers to be white, 36.5% to be black, 1.7% other, and 29.0% unknown.

If all of the unknowns were white, black people would be committing murders at 3.2X the white rate. If the unknowns are uniformly distributed the black rate is 6.4X the white rate.

The 2007 National Crime and Victimization Survey table on single-offender victimizations by type of crime and perceived race of offender shows whites responsible for 63.0% of sexual assaults, blacks 15.5%, and unknown 14.7%.

If the unknowns follow the same distribution, the black sexual assault rate is 1.4X the white rate.

While I don't think people are any different, the statistics show substantially higher black crime rates in America. I'd blame radical differences in aggregate demographics involving wealth, employment, and family structure since such problems correlate to economic disparity and don't exist (the Seattle/Vancouver comparison is interesting) where the black minority is doing better than average.

Until people admit what's going on and do something constructive it's not going to get appreciably better. Education is cheaper than prison. Mass media is a powerful force in shaping behavior (perhaps dropping out could be made uncool in the same way that smoking has). Programs like the Explorer Scouting get kids interested in careers. I don't have better suggestions.

Not according to this.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm

Those statistics are only for homicide, not for all crime.

I don't think it's possible to really know the statistics of whether one race commits more crime than another. The prison statistics don't necessarily reflect reality, since it could be the case that non-white people are more likely to get caught and convicted than white people are. For those who have been in prison a long time, there is a good chance that they were convicted by an all-white jury and at a time when racism was much stronger than today. And even today racism still exists, and juries are likely to be made up of mostly white people (I think), so I wouldn't be surprised if racism does play at least some part in the over-representation of minorities in the prison system.

> do we just grab random white people off the street and imprison them
>or just increase the sentences for whites convicted of a crime?

And women. Don't forget women.

Just make muffin tops a prison-able offense, and that will even out the gender bias. Maybe do away with some of the violent crime laws too, since those obviously serve no purpose other than to keep a lot of men incarcerated.

>do you also think criminality has something to with the shape of the
>criminals' heads?

Well, given that you have admitted that you think men are more criminal than women, and that women's heads are, on average, smaller than men's, then yes - head shape (specifically head size) will show a bias towards larger heads among people in prison.

keep dancing on the head of that pin ;)

(meanwhile we're starting to get some sensible comments)

Just make muffin tops a prison-able offense, and that will even out the gender bias. Maybe do away with some of the violent crime laws too, since those obviously serve no purpose other than to keep a lot of men incarcerated.

see? that's thinking outside the box - now we're getting somewhere

perhaps if we take everybody's savings away, 60% to the government, the other 40% we split up evenly amongst everyone

then we force every family to have a mom, dad, and a nice 3 bedroom home with a little fence in front - oh, and just give everyone a Masters and PhD so we can all have the same job potential

now that the initial test conditions are satisfied, we then measure the metric over the next 2 decades

a simple anova of the key inputs (color, gender, locality) should swing out the results just fine

who's in?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(meanwhile we're starting to get some sensible comments)

that can be fixed :|

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>keep dancing on the head of that pin

Looks like I struck a nerve! I think you may even be starting to think about why you support "sexism" but not "racism" in prison populations. Good for you.

looks like i successfully got you feeling bumps on peoples' heads :)
(i'll leave you dancing for a while on that pin)

>looks like i successfully got you feeling bumps

And I have you dodging your own conclusions! Most excellent. Now apply just a little more thought to the issue.

my conclusion is that you should do a study of peoples heads (and their bumps) compared to their criminality :)
(then come back and tell us the results)

here's another chance to respond since you missed it last time

More likely has more to do with committing fucking crimes, just my guess.

Is there any reason you're ignoring beowulf's post?

he's put a link - not an arguement :)

>my conclusion is that you should do a study of peoples heads (and
>their bumps) compared to their criminality . ..

That's easy. People who are arrested will have more bumps on their heads, on average, than people who aren't arrested.

And of course that has absolutely nothing to do with the predictive ability of bumps on their heads, but rather the fact that people who get arrested get hit over the head more often. Watch any bar fight if you doubt this.

But back to the issue:

You've admitted that it's OK that there is a huge bias towards arresting men over women, and you've admitted that you think that that's due to the inherent criminality of men (i.e. they're not made of "sugar and spice" or some other nonsense.) Looks like you get pretty defensive when other people apply exactly the same rationale to other groups. Might want to examine your logic.

He put DATA-which you run from on a regular basis, yet you expect others to accept altnet copy/paste as valid arguments. So, have you got anything to refute the data or do you start trying to drift the discussion away from the facts that prove you wrong?

Just curious.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour