dreamdancer

Shocking Black & Latino Imprisonment Rates the Result of Racist, Punitive Impulse

they are over-represented in incarceration by some 1900%

Could you provide an url that shows the data behind this statistic? I believe there must be some generalization or inequality in the data.

I am curious if prior criminal activity is used when summarizing the data.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

they are over-represented in incarceration by some 1900%

Could you provide an url that shows the data behind this statistic? I believe there must be some generalization or inequality in the data.

Reported on WBEZ radio (Chicago public radio) on Monday and Tuesday of this week. If you're interested I'm sure you can find it on their web site.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

can't handle the truth eh?

Now, if you'll step outside your subjective self, you'd see that this statement has a definite messiahnic quality. There is an objective truth. You see it. A few others do, too. Most others do not. The truth!

Religions talk about there being truth. Science talks about fact.

You have a religious fervor to your posts that it quite fascinating. Of course, such is seen on both sides, but the fact that the depth of your commentary consists of cutting and pasting the words of other disciples and/or referring to the "truth" others do not know or "can't handle."

The are my observations. Can you handle "the truth?" Is this what you are aiming to be: a self-anointed arbiter of truth and falsity? Can I get an amen?

I said can I get an AMEN!?!?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

can't handle the truth eh?

Now, if you'll step outside your subjective self, you'd see that this statement has a definite messiahnic quality. There is an objective truth. You see it. A few others do, too. Most others do not. The truth!

Religions talk about there being truth. Science talks about fact.

You have a religious fervor to your posts that it quite fascinating. Of course, such is seen on both sides, but the fact that the depth of your commentary consists of cutting and pasting the words of other disciples and/or referring to the "truth" others do not know or "can't handle."

The are my observations. Can you handle "the truth?" Is this what you are aiming to be: a self-anointed arbiter of truth and falsity? Can I get an amen?

I said can I get an AMEN!?!?

i blame hollywood ;)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

So you're complaining that they're doing illegal drugs, getting caught, and having to actually serve their time for breaking the law?

Maybe they should just try not doing illegal drugs.

In Illinois, the data show that white teenagers are slightly more likely to be involved with drugs than black, yet the black ones are some 19 times more likely to be locked up in the juvenile justice system when caught, while the white ones get probation or community service.

Socioeconomic reasons, not race.

Rich or middle class kid caught with drugs gets a lawyer and gets the case thrown out or sentence reduced.

A poor person defending themselves or using a public defender may not.

Be good to know the specifics behind the rather vague statements too. What exactly does it mean to be "involved" ? Doing drugs, dealing drugs?

Be good to know the repeat offender stats also. Repeat offenders are far more likely to be incarcerated.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

So you're complaining that they're doing illegal drugs, getting caught, and having to actually serve their time for breaking the law?

Maybe they should just try not doing illegal drugs.

In Illinois, the data show that white teenagers are slightly more likely to be involved with drugs than black, yet the black ones are some 19 times more likely to be locked up in the juvenile justice system when caught, while the white ones get probation or community service.

Socioeconomic reasons, not race.

Lame excuse when the socioeconomics are directly attributable to race.

no the socioeconomics are directly attributed to a lack of desire not race

Maybe the colored people to keep a low profile, stay in school, and get a job.
we didn't make them dop out of school and live on drug profits. They chose to dropp out of scool on their own, they chose to not work on their own, and they chose to do drugs in sight of a cop. If you put yourself in a profiled group expect to get their type of punishment if caught.

Did anyone on the left ever consider that if you look like a crook, act like a crook and are a crook you will be treated like a crook? Ever try to blame the individual that did wrong instead of the system.

There are many colored people that do drugs that get a lessor sentence because they put themselves in the position to get a lessor sentance, like finished school, had a job and got a lawyer. Maybe it is the person not the system.

OK, I get it...

First thought:
Well, 19% of blacks are incarcerated at this time Mr. Defendant and only 10% of whites. Guess what? You're white so we'll have to send you to prison to even out the scores. Sorry, dude, 10 years.

Second thought:
Well, 19% of blacks are incarcerated at this time and only 10% of whites. So I want 9% of of the total population who are black to line up so we can release you to balance out the equation.

Third thought:
We need more whites in prison to balance out the black and latino gangs' manpower.

It's gotta be one of those, right?
:|

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

OK, I get it...

First thought:
Well, 19% of blacks are incarcerated at this time Mr. Defendant and only 10% of whites. Guess what? You're white so we'll have to send you to prison to even out the scores. Sorry, dude, 10 years.

Second thought:
Well, 19% of blacks are incarcerated at this time and only 10% of whites. So I want 9% of of the total population who are black to line up so we can release you to balance out the equation.

Third thought:
We need more whites in prison to balance out the black and latino gangs' manpower.

No. Try reading more.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OK, I get it...

First thought:

Second thought:

Third thought:

No. Try reading more.
sounds to me like popsjumper understands it better than you

OK, I get it...

First thought:

Second thought:

Third thought:

No. Try reading more.
sounds to me like popsjumper understands it better than you

no, he doesn't :)
(and neither do you it seems)

Until you work in a male maximum security prison with murders, rapists and violent offenders, your bleeding heart really don't know what the hell you are talking about. The 9 years I did that line of work I never came across an inmate that was in prison for just being black or latino or whatever color. THEY DID A CRIME, such as murder and baby raping. So really what is the point?
You go walk the tiers with 1500 violent offenders and explain to civilization they do not belong there or that they just could not help it...please wake up>:(

" Mean people SUCK!"

Until you work in a male maximum security prison with murders, rapists and violent offenders, your bleeding heart really don't know what the hell you are talking about. The 9 years I did that line of work I never came across an inmate that was in prison for just being black or latino or whatever color. THEY DID A CRIME, such as murder and baby raping. So really what is the point?
You go walk the tiers with 1500 violent offenders and explain to civilization they do not belong there or that they just could not help it...please wake up>:(

no, you wake up. whites are just as likely to murder or rape as blacks or latinos but they don't end up in maximum security or on death row. why is that?

no, you wake up. whites are just as likely to murder or rape as blacks or latinos but they don't end up in maximum security or on death row. why is that?

So...are you proposing that minorities not go to jail for these crimes? That would be more fair?

So...are you proposing that minorities not go to jail for these crimes? That would be more fair?

no, i'm saying that if whites were imprisoned at the same rate as blacks and latinos then there would/should be an awful lot more of them in prison.

>no, i'm saying that if whites were imprisoned at the same rate as blacks
>and latinos then there would/should be an awful lot more of them in prison.

And if white women were imprisoned at the same rate as white men there would be an awful lot more of them in prison. Should we be arresting fewer white men?

>no, i'm saying that if whites were imprisoned at the same rate as blacks
>and latinos then there would/should be an awful lot more of them in prison.

And if white women were imprisoned at the same rate as white men there would be an awful lot more of them in prison. Should we be arresting fewer white men?

i think we should compare white women against black women (criminality and rates of imprisonment). that seems a bit more sensible.

>i think we should compare white women against black women . ..

You think race matters but gender doesn't? Why, what a sexist and bigoted thing to say!

it obviously matters to those put in prison.

(and those who choose put them in prison)

>it obviously matters to those put in prison.

Exactly! So why are you OK with imprisoning seven men for every one woman? Why do you support this blatant sexism? Do you really think all those men are OK with being imprisoned in such disproportionate numbers?

>it obviously matters to those put in prison.

Exactly! So why are you OK with imprisoning seven men for every one woman? Why do you support this blatant sexism? Do you really think all those men are OK with being imprisoned in such disproportionate numbers?

you may not have noticed but women aren't as criminal as men (sugar 'n spice and all that).

meanwhile back to blatant racism in the us gulag...