Andy9o8

Doctor to Patients Who Voted for Obama: Get Your Treatment Elsewhere

It's nice to see that while the trailer trash may be getting down and dirty, the better-educated wing of the GOP is doing its best to raise the level of the debate.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-mount-dora-doctor-tells-patients-go-aw20100401,0,5593120.story

Doctor tells Obama supporters: Go elsewhere for health care

MOUNT DORA — A doctor who considers the national health-care overhaul to be bad medicine for the country posted a sign on his office door telling patients who voted for President Barack Obama to seek care "elsewhere."

"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical," Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican opposed to the health plan, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."

So tacky, but within his rights. Just as people had the right to boycott Prop 8 contributers.

Well, thank goodness for now it's not against the law....kind of the free speech thing in the US Constitution.

Free Speech

"I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm." Hippocratic Oath, modern version.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical," Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican opposed to the health plan, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. "But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."

So tacky, but within his rights. Just as people had the right to boycott Prop 8 contributers.

Seems like he's begging some opportunist liberal to file a malpractice suit against him. That would be a shame. :o;)

Seems like he's begging some opportunist liberal to file a malpractice suit against him.

Because it's pretty much a given that they wouldn't confront him face to face but would instead find someone else to fight their battles.

Sorry-I'm having a low tolerance for pussies day.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Well, thank goodness for now it's not against the law....kind of the free speech thing in the US Constitution.

Free Speech

Last I checked free speech had a relationship between the government and all citizens. The AMA and the Hypcratic oath are administrative.....too bad, so sad. So yes, the government could not prosecute him for hanging that sign, however the AMA or whoever licenses doctors in his state could act. As well, if alib was already being seen by him, that lib entered his office for an ongoing care issue and then he toild that doctor he voted for Obama and hopes for the HC Bill, there is a, "Just add water" conflict of interest that could lead to big lawsuits. I mean, that doc could hardly keep seeing him on a doc-patient basis, so would that doc have to pay for his transfer to another doctor?

The doctor is an idiot, I wouldn't want any pro or anti HC Bill BS posted on my docs door....of course this is hypothetical as I'm not in teh class that gets to have the luxury of HC.

"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical,"

"If you voted for Obama … seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now, not in four years."

Posting an obvious bias is also unethical as per the hypocratic oath. If ya wanna split hairs and walk lines, go fuck with the AMA and/or state lic agency. 2 admins I don't fuck with are the IRS and the FAA, everyone else is pretty much fair game. Admin fuckings hurt more than judicial (Superior Ct)fuckings in most cases. The state bar has to permit a lawyer to practice, the State Medical Board has to permit medical doctors to practice, the state police officer licensing agency has to license cops to act as law enforcement, the FAA has to permit people to fly, wrench, issue PMA's, TSO's, DER's, DAR's, DFE's, DME's, etc.

The sign was pure stupidity, he should just go tea bag somewhere.

"If you voted for Obama … seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now, not in four years."

"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical, but if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."
--
Rob

Seems like he's begging some opportunist liberal to file a malpractice suit against him.

Because it's pretty much a given that they wouldn't confront him face to face but would instead find someone else to fight their battles.

Sorry-I'm having a low tolerance for pussies day.

So your deduction is that liberals are pussies? Brilliant and a medical proessional hanging a bias-filled sign on his ddoor that is likely to offend about 1/2 of his clients is your definition of tough? I guess uttering the words, "Faggot" "Jew bastard" and "nigger" are also signs of being tough too, huh? That is, if you dislike gays, blacks and Jews. Hey, don't be a pussy, just blurt out how ya feel, caution to the wind. Can you now understand why peopel have strayed from the right????

"I'm not turning anybody away — that would be unethical, but if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it."

Lame about-face on his part when called on it, wasn't it.

This is not a "tie" situation where one washes the other, this is a matter of professional conduct that is HEAVILY monitored by the State MEdical Boards and the AMA. I have my prereqs for RN and we had classes on this that there ZERO TOLLERANCE for dividing your care based upon bias of any kind; RACIAL, GENDER, AGE, POLITICAL OR ANY CRITERIA. I must be a liberal pussy to feel that way. I will graduate to RW maggoted zealot when I grow up.

Lame about-face on his part when called on it, wasn't it.

It's a disclaimer that would fall flat on it's face as an affirmative defense in a civil trial, or a criminal trial I guess.

WHat would happen of you hung a sign on your door first day of class that read, "If you voted for McCain, you might want to think about dropping thsi class?" Now, what would happen if you hung this sign 1/2 way thru teh semester? How about right before finals? Of course too late to drop; kinda an easy A for the offended.

Wouldn't it be stupid for a professor to do that and even tenure wouldn't save a professor from that. This is such a 'tarded' thread :S

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."-1st. Amendment

Still in the US Constitution for you, me, liberals, conservatives, left and right wingers and even doctors.

I would guess that it supercedes the AMA.

Politically expedient-probably not.
A good business decision-time will tell.

Don't go away mad....just go away!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."-1st. Amendment

Still in the US Constitution for you, me, liberals, conservatives, left and right wingers and even doctors.

Yes, the US gov could not prosecute, persecute him for this; you're arguing a moot point. But you cannot use the constitution as an affirmative defense in an administrative action against his license to practice or a civil suit where a patient became ill and sued for malpratice. Hell, ya have all ya need for negligence or intentional infliction of distress of some kind. All of his patients should immediately tell him they voted for Obama and they basically own him. He has to cut them or continue to see them under the belief thatthey will receive substandard care ala conflict of interest. You can ignore it all day, it won't change.

Freedom of speech is not a blank check to walk up to a strange girl and call her a whore, a black person and call him a nigger, a gay person and call him a faggot. In fact, they even aggravate these offenses by calling them hate crimes, at least the latter two. Some people need to take a justice class or two, don't get too excited about the US Const, it really is overstated and any claim must have a federal apsect to it, you can't just scream "CONSTITUTION" evertime you get stuck; it's not a blank check.

I would go elsewhere regardless of who I voted for.
Personally, I want my physicians to care more about medicine than politics - or at least make me think that they do.

As someone who works in the medical industry... A physicians practice is his private business. He is responsible to to keep it afloat and turn a profit just like any other small business owner. Many physicians don't take patients that are apart of the state funded program medicaid. Why? Too much paperwork and too little reimbursement; if they even get reimbursed.

I would go elsewhere regardless of who I voted for.
Personally, I want my physicians to care more about medicine than politics - or at least make me think that they do.

As someone who works in the medical industry... A physicians practice is his private business. He is responsible to to keep it afloat and turn a profit just like any other small business owner. Many physicians don't take patients that are apart of the state funded program medicaid. Why? Too much paperwork and too little reimbursement; if they even get reimbursed.

And your point is?

Taking the Hippocratic oath as a medical doctor is an option; he didn't have to take it but he did.

The Constitution is not relevant in the matter of whether or not he violated the code of ethics of his profession.