lost_n_confuzd

Dead Marine's father ordered to pay protesters' legal costs

From CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/westboro.baptist.snyder/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church says an order to pay the protesters' legal costs in a civil claim is nothing less than a "slap in the face."

"By the court making this decision, they're not only telling me that they're taking their side, but I have to pay them money to do this to more soldiers and their families," said Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in action in Iraq in 2006.

Members of the fundamentalist church based in Topeka, Kansas, appeared outside Snyder's funeral in 2006 in Westminster, Maryland, carrying signs reading "You're going to hell," "God hates you" and "Thank God for dead soldiers."

Go to link to read more....

Well, what can I say? That's Maryland for you[:/]

How can a judge NOT favor the father with his claims of emotional distress, enticing violence, etc... I mean, if I were to protest your child's funeral saying that they died because god hates gays that would be pretty messed up and probably cause you to get emotional.

There are some on here who will side with the church's legal right to free speech under the 1st Amendment, which I am all for, but this is not about their rights. The questions is wether or not Phelps and his crew caused intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc..

"Although reasonable people may disagree about the appropriateness of the Phelps' protest, this conduct simply does not satisfy the heavy burden required for the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress under Maryland law."

Here's what Phelp's cuntrag daughter/lawyer has to say:

"They wanted to shut down the picketing so now they're going to finance it," she said.

This would be the same as me going to a meet-up of parents who have retarded kids and saying that it's their fault their kids are born that way because god hates gays (bull horns, signs and all). And just to make it legal I'll stand on public property. How can that not cause emotional distress?

If this were any other state it would have had a more favorable outcome. Thoughts?

I hate what the Phelps family and this abomination of a church does, but they must not be shut down. Without them freely showing their complete "bat-shit-f*cked-up-crazy-hatred" views, the rest of us would not know about them. By allowing them to continue, we have others that step up to the plate like the Patriot Guard.

This thing is going to the Supreme Court, and when they rule in favor of the Phelps (as I believe they will), we, as decent patriots have each other. What do the Phelps have?

This is the heavy responsibility to having a First Amendment.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I agree, as tasteless as they are, the Phelps have the right to protest. But to what extent? To sum it up, the judge favored Phelps because he did not see their actions as intentionally causing emotional stress on the father. How could that not cause emotional stress on the father? How could anyone planning on doing this at a funeral not see that thier actions would cause this sort of reaction (the intentional part).

Is what makes me even more angry is that if this were the funeral of a politician or the judge's children their would probably be some sort a police baracade to stop the Phelps family from protesting. There is no way this would happen if it were anyone of any "importance", a judge's kid, senator's son, a former president. There is no way the protest would be allowed to happen.

I hate what the Phelps family and this abomination of a church does, but they must not be shut down. Without them freely showing their complete "bat-shit-f*cked-up-crazy-hatred" views, the rest of us would not know about them. By allowing them to continue, we have others that step up to the plate like the Patriot Guard.

This thing is going to the Supreme Court, and when they rule in favor of the Phelps (as I believe they will), we, as decent patriots have each other. What do the Phelps have?

I am hoping for them to find out JUST how wrong they are after THEY pass... every last one of them.

You know, for as long as the Phelps have been doing their fucked up protesting shit, I'm surprised that nobody has gone after Phelps himself and shot the motherfucker to death.

I don't advocate that kind of violence, but he sure is asking for it, and I would not be surprised if it does happen. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am an ordained minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, an ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and a Vietnam Era Veteran. I believe that Fred Phelps is under the influence of, if not in bondage to, a demonic spirit.

Albert Snyder took a chance on the legal system and won, then lost and, will fight on to the USSC. That is the way the system works.

Regardless of freedom of speech, the Westboro folks generate a tremendous anger within the veteran community. I suspect these demonstrations may get a lot worse in their outcomes.

Since I have my motorcycle now, I think I will join the Patriot Guard Riders.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I believe that Fred Phelps is under the influence of, if not in bondage to, a demonic spirit.

That's a very practical excuse... :S

Excuse for what?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>How can a judge NOT favor the father with his claims of emotional distress,
>enticing violence, etc...

Because as much as the Westboro Baptists are scum, they have a right to protest.

>There are some on here who will side with the church's legal right to free
>speech under the 1st Amendment, which I am all for, but this is not about
>their rights.

Actually it is. Imagine if you were pro-life, and you were forbidden to protest because a woman going in for an abortion became distressed at your signs. (Or the opposite; you were pro-choice and a conservative woman became sickened at the thought of "baby-killers" protesting.) That's why the bar is so high here - so that people's rights to say what they believe, even if it's upsetting, is protected.

I believe that Fred Phelps is under the influence of, if not in bondage to, a demonic spirit.

Excuse for what?

Blaming bad/anti-social behaviour on some mythical 'spirit' would be an excuse in my book too.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Excuse for what?

Blaming bad/anti-social behaviour on some mythical 'spirit' would be an excuse in my book too.

He is not saying it as an excuse for what they are doing.. what they are doing is VERY wrong. Thank GOD they are not AG! We have presbeters that would have handled that...

A true Christian would never have done something as stupid and absurd as that. Goes against true Christian doctrine! >:(

You gatta remember. there is a HGUE diffrence between American Christianity and True Christianity.. It says it best in the book of Matthe "Depart from me, i never knew you".. and that was to people that said "Lord Lord"...
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

How would you define spiritual influence, for example zeitgeist?

Excuse for what?

He is not saying it as an excuse for what they are doing.. what they are doing is VERY wrong. Thank GOD they are not AG! We have presbeters that would have handled that...

A true Christian would never have done something as stupid and absurd as that. Goes against true Christian doctrine! >:(

Who defines "true"?

This is a really lame excuse used by Christians in general to excuse bad behavior by members of their faith.

There's some pretty nasty behavior called for in the OT, but whenever anyone calls attention to it, we hear much the same excuse from Christians.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How would you define spiritual influence, for example zeitgeist?

Sorry, I don't know ....... I had to google it

(.)Y(.)

Excuse for what?

Who defines "true"?

This is a really lame excuse used by Christians in general to excuse bad behavior by members of their faith.

There's some pretty nasty behavior called for in the OT, but whenever anyone calls attention to it, we hear much the same excuse from Christians.

True Christian... One who has a relationship with Christ. Who studies the Bible and lives a life that glorifies God... Christian=Christ like.

I dont consider people who do absurd things members of the faith. The Bible says that you "will know them by the fruits of thier spirit"

This also doesnt mean people can interpret the Bible any which way they want. Thats why we have elders and decons, presbeters, and such. To help with the understanding of the Bible, and to help grow in a relationship.

Yes, the Old Testament has some pretty harsh stuff in it. It was God's judgment on people. He is a righteous Judge. after Christ, we have atonment for our sins..

Our sins were NEVER forgiven.. Just forgiven of us. Christ bore them on His back.
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Excuse for what?

Sorry, I believe that he WAS using a 'mythical' (my term) Demonic spirt as an excuse for doing wrong.

(.)Y(.)

Demon or not, there is absolutely NO excuse for what they did!

I hope the court doesnt favor them....

May God Bless that Father and be with him... Cause this has got to stink!

Surely the judge could have upheld the 1st Amendment by awarding the Phelpses, say, $1.

Excuse for what?

Who defines "true"?

True Christian... One who has a relationship with Christ. Who studies the Bible and lives a life that glorifies God... Christian=Christ like.

I dont consider people who do absurd things members of the faith. The Bible says that you "will know them by the fruits of thier spirit"

OK, so YOU are "The Decider".