JohnRich

Tax cheats beware: IRS buying sawed-off shotguns

I gotta ask. Are potato launchers really illegal in CA?

Brief check of Wiki comes up with this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_gun_legality#United_States

Combustion spud guns are not to be manufactured or possessed by those under the age of 16 in the state of California.

Obviously not the final word, but a starting point.

I have a feeling that if they were actually illegal in California it would be noted on the page though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not that interested. A) I have a short enough barrel on my HD 870, and B) I live in the lovely state of California where you check your constitutional rights at the border, and potato launchers are illegal.

The point I make is the one spelled out by that famous quote from Animal Farm. Too many blindly trust "law enforcement" to always do the virtuous thing, be just and protective, when in reality, LE is comprised of humans subject to all human vices and failures, just like the "public".

12001. (a) (1) As used in this title, the terms "pistol,"
"revolver," and "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"
shall apply to and include any device designed to be used as a
weapon, from which is expelled a projectile by the force of any
explosion, or other form of combustion, and that has a barrel less
than 16 inches in length. These terms also include any device that
has a barrel 16 inches or more in length which is designed to be
interchanged with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
(2) As used in this title, the term "handgun" means any "pistol,"
"revolver," or "firearm capable of being concealed upon the person."
(b) As used in this title, "firearm" means any device, designed to
be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a
projectile by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(c) As used in Sections 12021, 12021.1, 12070, 12071, 12072,
12073, 12078, 12101, and 12801 of this code, and Sections 8100, 8101,
and 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, the term "firearm"
includes the frame or receiver of the weapon.
(d) For the purposes of Sections 12025 and 12031, the term
"firearm" also shall include any rocket, rocket propelled projectile
launcher, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary
material whether or not the device is designed for emergency or
distress signaling purposes.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

12001. (a) (1) ...
As used in this title, "firearm" means any device, designed to
be used as a weapon
, from which is expelled through a barrel, a

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

12001. (a) (1) ...
be used as a weapon

Legalese is a pain. So is a rocket propelled potato a firearm, but one launched by a charge of hairspray from a PVC pipe not??

Or would the rocket propelled potato have to have a charge in it to qualify??:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

12001. (a) (1) ...
be used as a weapon

Legalese is a pain. So is a rocket propelled potato a firearm, but one launched by a charge of hairspray from a PVC pipe not??

Or would the rocket propelled potato have to have a charge in it to qualify??:P

CA and RI have some wierd rules pertaining to rockets (the other 48 states just conform to Federal regulations). As far as I can tell, the rocket propelled potato is just a firework that has to be approved by the CA Fire Marshal unless the potato contains an explosive charge.

www.ocfa.org/_uploads/pdf/guideg01.pdf for example of CA rules.

I'd approve IRS agents having potato guns.

don't you have to be drunk (or on the way) to use a potato gun? Or is being on a wind hold enough?

I think being a teenage male qualifies you too.

BATFE ruled years ago that potato launchers ARE legal, and do not meet the definition of a firearm. Don't post that crap and get people confused.

BATFE can rule however they like, there is nothing to prevent CA from having tougher regulations. People in this state HAVE been prosecuted for having a combustion type potato launcher under CA PC 12001.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

BATFE ruled years ago that potato launchers ARE legal, and do not meet the definition of a firearm. Don't post that crap and get people confused.

BATFE can rule however they like, there is nothing to prevent CA from having tougher regulations. People in this state HAVE been prosecuted for having a combustion type potato launcher under CA PC 12001.

I'm guessing that compressed-air spud guns are ok, though?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

News:
Remington Shotguns, Solicitation Number: EDOOIG-10-000004

"The U.S. Department of Education (ED) intends to purchase twenty-seven (27) REMINGTON BRAND MODEL 870 POLICE 12/14P MOD GRWC XS4 KXCS SF. RAMAC #24587 GAUGE: 12 BARREL: 14"..."
Source: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=cb68cf9f3fa2fe18a83d1c3dee0039b2&tab=core&_cview=0

And now the Dept. of Education is getting in on this sawed-off shotgun action. School kids, beware! The next time you start throwing spit balls at cute little Susie, the DOE SWAT team may bust in with shiny new sawed-off shotguns to stop you!

News:

"The U.S. Department of Education (ED) intends to purchase twenty-seven (27) REMINGTON BRAND MODEL 870 POLICE 12/14P MOD GRWC XS4 KXCS SF. RAMAC #24587 GAUGE: 12 BARREL: 14"..."
Source: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=cb68cf9f3fa2fe18a83d1c3dee0039b2&tab=core&_cview=0

And now the Dept. of Education is getting in on this sawed-off shotgun action. School kids, beware! The next time you start throwing spit balls at cute little Susie, the DOE SWAT team may bust in with shiny new sawed-off shotguns to stop you!

I guess you think campus police should be unarmed.

News:

I guess you think campus police should be unarmed.

So which schools does the DOE patrol?

So which schools does the DOE patrol?

The link didn't specify any schools.
Public state schools receive federal funds. Campus security is a part of that - hopefully a very small part.

I'm well aware that schools receive federal funds, however, they're not ordering checks, they're ordering shotguns.

I'm well aware that schools receive federal funds, however, they're not ordering checks, they're ordering shotguns.

Exactly. We don't arm campus police with checkbooks.

I hope we're not arming them with tactical shotguns either. If so, that's a school with serious trouble. Short barreled shotguns don't seem like the most appropriate choice in an environment full of civilians.

I hope we're not arming them with tactical shotguns either. If so, that's a school with serious trouble. Short barreled shotguns don't seem like the most appropriate choice in an environment full of civilians.

I'm comfortable leaving it to them to best know what they need. I have no idea what kind of training these guys receive or are required to receive, but they operate in a series of buildings - all rooms and corridors. Shotgun seems far more logical than a rifle.

I'm comfortable leaving it to them to best know what they need. I have no idea what kind of training these guys receive or are required to receive, but they operate in a series of buildings - all rooms and corridors. Shotgun seems far more logical than a rifle.

Handguns seem far more logical. Not a sawed off shotgun with a large spray pattern.

I know if I were the recipient, I'd love the shotgun. Looks and feels badass. But that's why I shouldn't be the one making the call.

Exactly. We don't arm campus police with checkbooks.

And we're back to my first question: What, if any, schools are the DOE patrolling?

And we're back to my first question: What, if any, schools are the DOE patrolling?

Come on.
Does the DOE provide security?
Does the DOE supply teachers, librarians, cafeteria staff, janitors, maintenance workers, administrators, athletic staff, etc., etc.?

The sawed-off shotgun solicitation is from the DOE Inspector General's office.

Here is their home page: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/index.html
Mission Statement

"To promote the efficiency, effectiveness, and integrity of the Department's programs and operations, we conduct independent and objective audits, investigations, inspections, and other activities.
I don't see anything about that description that would warrant sawed-off shotguns..."

Oh, wait... Their org chart is here: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/organizationalstructure.ppt

They show a "technology crimes" division. Try and change your grade from an "F" to an "A" by hacking into the school computer, like David Lightman (Matthew Broderick) in the movie "War Games", and DOE agents will show up with shotguns to get ya!