warpedskydiver

Illinoisans: Do you have property available for hunting coyotes?

I hope they get mauled.

Did you ever hear of being a victim of your own stupidity?

I see you post evidence of it regularly:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I hope they get mauled.

Did you ever hear of being a victim of your own stupidity?

I see you post evidence of it regularly:D:D:D

Keep laughing, it's a good thing you suck up to Bill Von

:D:D:D
You're funny dude:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well it is already a crime to feed coyotes, do you propose they make another law that say "we really mean it"

Now that they are coming into housing areas, the cessation of the homeowners feeding them is going to be impossible to stop.

"Oh that food officer?" its for the cats.:|

People who are stupid enough to feed them thinking they are some sort of amateur naturist are really just functional illiterates.

Has passing any law stopped the action that would constitute that offense?

Allow me to paste my last post: Any solution must first and foremost address the behavior of the people surrounding the area.
Other than that, it's specific to the situation.

You seem to be hell bent that shooting is the primary solution to the problem. It's not. Simply passing laws accomplishes nothing. They must be enforced. That is a key component to a true solution.

Side note: there is a difference between being ignorant and being stupid.

Shooting is only one step of many that must be taken.

Prosecution is another.

Coyotes learn fast and we only fool ourselves that we can deter them or simply move them a few miles away.

In fact taking them hundreds of miles away is just dumping the problem on someone else.

They are in far greater populations here than you would see in the west.

Next to my home is a series of forest preserves.

The coyotes number in the hundreds and it is the largest pack in northern Illinois.

Coyotes have taken many pets, chased an elderly neighbor into her home and bounced off her door.

They have also chased deer into IL RT58, IL59 and IL19 causing deaths to motorists as well as motorcyclists

When you see a straight stretch of road with quite a few crosses in the ditches where people have either swerved and crashed or hit deer, resulting in multiple vehicle accidents with fatalities it sinks in.

If you turn the redneck faction of the fightin' 101st keyboarders loose out there with weapons, I'm reasonably certain you could expect that they WILL shoot some things. Maybe coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, dogs, neighboring houses, empty beercans, etc.
Problem is, this is not a solution to the problem. It's just an excuse to indiscriminately shoot animals close to a residential area. After the coyotes come back and people say "look they're back, they must be hungry", you will be in exactly the same position you started in.
999,999.99 times out of a million, the answer is not shoot first think second.

You obviously have a very low opinion of people like me. I'm a gun owner and hunter. I assure you I'm able to differentiate between a coyote and a cat, dog, SUV, etc. I also check my background so my shots will not pose a hazard to anyone. Your blank profile gives little information, but I would guess your experience with firearms is minimal. Your comments lead me to believe you feel firearms are an evil influence that lead to a blood lust insanity and a general decrease in intelligence. Am I close?

Not feeding them is part of the solution, but the population still needs to be reduced and controlled. Got any great ideas besides hunting? Does mass starvation seem more humane? Are you aware that catch and release programs for most species have a very high mortality rate? Too bad some of those Canadian hikers weren't armed like we are when we go hiking. Taylor Mitchell could have been alive today.

You obviously have a very low opinion of people like me. I'm a gun owner and hunter. I assure you I'm able to differentiate between a coyote and a cat, dog, SUV, etc. I also check my background so my shots will not pose a hazard to anyone. Your blank profile gives little information, but I would guess your experience with firearms is minimal. Your comments lead me to believe you feel firearms are an evil influence that lead to a blood lust insanity and a general decrease in intelligence. Am I close?

Not feeding them is part of the solution, but the population still needs to be reduced and controlled. Got any great ideas besides hunting? Does mass starvation seem more humane? Are you aware that catch and release programs for most species have a very high mortality rate? Too bad some of those Canadian hikers weren't armed like we are when we go hiking. Taylor Mitchell could have been alive today.

I think he is refering to the lesser proportion of the gun owning population that are just plain dicks.
Not the reasonable man like yourself John
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hopefully, the yotes' will consume the feral hog population. We are absolutely overun in Texas and I think just about every state now. Billions of dollars of damage to agriculture.

Need an answer!

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/

Predation of feral hogs by coyotes is a slim chance, it is probably going to happen the other way around.

Hell I wish I could hunt feral hogs here, pork is not wrong.

WI now has them, I am really trying to organize our group to go up there and hunt several square miles.

Drive and ambush is about the best thing, that or baiting them.

If you have the funds, get a night vision scope and an AR15 or other high power semi auto.

A friend of mine did this in AR and they donated three semi trailers of hogs to the needy, the meat was really appreciated.

Trailers were loaned and butchering was donated by several locals.

As we all know, there's a certain % of knuckleheads in any group: skydivers, bikers, hunters . . .

I'm just tired of people using inaccurate stereotypes to defend their positions. Just like all those crazy skydivers should just go away. We don't want them at our airport because they are wild and irresponsible. :|

Oh and "Hi Squeak and Missus.":)

>I am looking to find more properties to hunt on, so far I only have 2
>farms and one needs to get permission from the chief of police
> because a subdivision has been built adjacent to his 300 acres.

>WTF is wrong with this world?

There are lots of things wrong with it; careless hunters are just one. I can see homeowners not wanting to experience things like this:

=========
Nov 17, 2008

Deer Hunter Shoots Toddler Dead In Upstate N.Y.
SWAN LAKE, N.Y.

Two families were grieving Monday night after a day of deer hunting took a devastating turn. A hunter whose bullet was meant for a deer killed a child he never even saw.

. . .

A bullet from his high-powered rifle went through the side of a trailer in Swan Lake, mortally wounding 16-month-old Charly Skala. The charge is manslaughter.
==========

Apparently some of the people in the subdivision have been feeding the coyotes because they love to see them.

WTF?! That's disgusting. They'll regret that kinda shit.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

While I'm sorry about the loss of a talented young ladies life, the whole story is a bunch of bullshit.

The fact that she died cannot be denied but, "lack of fear," "unprecedented and a totally isolated incident," is feel good P/C PR.

When you think about coyotes think of them as a well coordinated street gang.

Let me explain; 1-3 of the cutesy yodel-dogs will hop and yowl in front of you to get your attention.

With your attention diverted a few more will sneak up quietly behind you and hamstring you and/or severe your Achilles tendons.

After that the feeding starts, first on the tender, tasty genitals and intestines.

And lucky you has the front row seat.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

>I am looking to find more properties to hunt on, so far I only have 2
>farms and one needs to get permission from the chief of police
> because a subdivision has been built adjacent to his 300 acres.

>WTF is wrong with this world?

There are lots of things wrong with it; careless hunters are just one. I can see homeowners not wanting to experience things like this:

=========
Nov 17, 2008

Deer Hunter Shoots Toddler Dead In Upstate N.Y.
SWAN LAKE, N.Y.

Two families were grieving Monday night after a day of deer hunting took a devastating turn. A hunter whose bullet was meant for a deer killed a child he never even saw.

. . .

A bullet from his high-powered rifle went through the side of a trailer in Swan Lake, mortally wounding 16-month-old Charly Skala. The charge is manslaughter.
==========

Damn right the charge is manslaughter, this idot is a slob hunter and gives every responsible gun owner and hunter a bad name with his reprehensible actions.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

redneck faction of the fightin' 101st keyboarders

:D

Damn, I love that one also.

Disagree with the man all you want, he does have a way with words.

So let me guess, you would prefer catch and release?

Any solution must first and foremost address the behavior of the people surrounding the area.

Based on Randy's friends situation your solution would be?

John, I just used your last post to copy and paste this.

Would anyone care to point out the discrepencies in this article?

(CNN) -- A rising Canadian folk singer was killed by coyotes this week in a national park in Nova Scotia, a park spokesman said Thursday.

Taylor Mitchell, 19, was at the beginning of the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when she was attacked, according to Chip Bird, the Parks Canada field unit superintendent for Cape Breton.

Bird said hikers saw the coyotes attacking Mitchell and called 911. She was airlifted to a hospital in Halifax, where she died about 12 hours later, he said.

Mitchell was recently nominated for Young Performer of the Year honors by Canadian Folk Music Awards. She was touring the Maritime provinces and had a break between gigs to go hiking Tuesday, her manager, Lisa Weitz, said in an e-mail.

"She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity," she wrote.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Weitz said.

"Her warmth, loving nature, astounding artistry, and infectious enthusiasm will be so missed and forever remembered."

Mitchell, who was originally from the Georgian Bay area in Ontario, lived in Toronto, Weitz said.

Bird said the area where the attack occurred is popular and well traveled. It remained closed, and park authorities had shot one coyote believed to be involved. A pathologist will test the animal's body for diseases that might have triggered the attack, he said.

Searches for other aggressive animals in the park continue, he said.

"Public safety is our primary concern," he said.

He said no other coyote attacks had ever occurred in the park. "We've had coyotes approach people too closely," he said, and about six years ago one nipped a person.

That animal was killed because of "lack of fear," he said.

But Tuesday's attack is "unprecedented and a totally isolated incident," he said.

In a written statement, Emily Mitchell described her daughter as "a seasoned naturalist and well versed in wilderness camping. She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity. Tragically it was her time to be taken from us so soon.

"We take a calculated risk when spending time in nature's fold -- it's the wildlife's terrain," Emily Mitchell's statement continued. "When the decision had been made to kill the pack of coyotes, I clearly heard Taylor's voice say, 'please don't, this is their space.' She wouldn't have wanted their demise, especially as a result of her own. She was passionate about animals, was an environmentalist, and was also planning to volunteer at the Toronto Wildlife Centre in the coming months."

Michael Johnston, Mitchell's producer for her debut album, "For Your Consideration," said the singer was a "brilliant and beautiful light that people were naturally drawn to."

"She was so young and talented. Her big dreams were a perfect match with her big, kind heart."

He said he and his family would soon be organizing a celebration of her life.

Coyote attacks on humans are extremely rare, said Michael O'Brien, wildlife manager of furbearers and upland game for Nova Scotia.

It is "not expected or normal behavior," he said, although he said there had been aggressive incidents in Nova Scotia before, but no deaths.

Illness, injury and familiarity with humans can affect an animal's behavior, he said.

>You obviously have a very low opinion of people like me.

I don't believe we've ever met, but I have been around here a long time and have enjoyed your posts. But you're right - you may be an asshole and I just don't know it.

>I'm a gun owner and hunter.

As am I.

>I assure you I'm able to differentiate between a coyote and a cat, dog, SUV, etc. I also check my background so my shots will not pose a hazard to anyone.

Great! At least one guy I shouldn't have to worry about shooting me in the woods.

>Your blank profile gives little information, but I would guess your experience with firearms is minimal.

I've addressed a number of times why my profile is intentionally blank. It's a PhillyKev thing. Not that I don't want to trust you, but as you said: you may in fact be an asshole.

>Your comments lead me to believe you feel firearms are an evil influence that lead to a blood lust insanity and a general decrease in intelligence. Am I close?

No. I think that in cases where firearms may be part of the solution, people tend to get lazy and try to make them the entire solution.

>Not feeding them is part of the solution, but the population still needs to be reduced and controlled. Got any great ideas besides hunting? Does mass starvation seem more humane? Are you aware that catch and release programs for most species have a very high mortality rate? Too bad some of those Canadian hikers weren't armed like we are when we go hiking. Taylor Mitchell could have been alive today.

I'll address in a reply to Gene.

So let me guess, you would prefer catch and release?

Any solution must first and foremost address the behavior of the people surrounding the area.

Based on Randy's friends situation your solution would be?

If you look above, you will see the most important part of the solution. Anything more is armchairing something I don't have enough knowledge of to inteligently comment on.
Some things that come to mind:
N. Illinois is extremely varied in terms of population density and lifestyle. If the coyotes are actually being fed by people, I would guess this is some sort of greenbelt or open space that adjoins a populated area instead of sparsely populated communities. Local gov't and LEO needs to be involved in educating and correcting the behavior of these people and they need to come up with a plan. If you make the decision to start blasting away, how is that going to be received in the community? How do you do it to minimize the horrified civilian effect? How do you make sure none of the people who are ignorant enough to try to feed a coyote end up on an evening stroll during a planned harvest?

I don't have an answer to any of these questions or even know if they are applicable. What you just can't help but come back to is that the most important part of any viable solution is addressing the behavior of the people surrounding the affected area. To do that, you have to start with local gov't and LEO. After that, who knows.