quade

Why don't we ever blame the real supporters of terrorism?

your governments had always a good hand in selecting the "right people for the right job" (Note: sarcasm). the only flaw: most of them decided to turn against the u.s. somewhere in the process and saudiarabia is the country with the most rigid interpretation/school of islam :|

downside: the saudis have accumulated too much wealth & finacial influence worldwide so it is probably not a very wise idea to kick their asses as the u.s. did with other terrorist countries. guess its "you reap what you sow (sp?)" once more

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Ever wonder why we constantly bag on Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Yemen but almost never seem to blame the REAL backers of Al Qaeda and the 9/11 attacks?

I think it's the same way as current situation with Chechnya and its leader in Russia - "he's son of a bitch, but he is OUR son of a bitch". The rationale is that nobody is perfect, and if you require all your allies to be holier-than-thou, you'll have zero allies as nobody is.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Ever wonder why we constantly bag on Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Yemen but almost never seem to blame the REAL backers of Al Qaeda and the 9/11 attacks?

I think it's the same way as current situation with Chechnya and its leader in Russia - "he's son of a bitch, but he is OUR son of a bitch". The rationale is that nobody is perfect, and if you require all your allies to be holier-than-thou, you'll have zero allies as nobody is.

I think Paul's point is that those who bankroll the folks killing our soldiers aren't really allies and maybe shouldn't be major stockholders in our news sources.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So, the implication is that as a result of this:

Media reports have indicated that News Corp, parent to Fox News and Dow Jones & Co., among others, may be thinking of buying a stake in Alwaleed's Rotana Media Group, which includes a number of satellite channels that air in the Middle East.

They may have more influence here?

Saudi Arabia's influence has little to do with media, and all to do with oil and money, also outlined here:

Alwaleed, and the investment firm, were hit hard by the global meltdown.

He has since focused on shoring up borrowing power, in part through a recent decision to transfer 180 million of his shares in Citigroup to Kingdom Holding. In a statement last week, he described the move - valued at about $600 million - as key to facilitating future borrowing and growth.

The Saudi royal also met last week with Citigroup's chief executive Vikram Pandit, according to a statement by Kingdom Holding e-mailed Sunday.

Alwaleed told Pandit that the "honeymoon is now over," a clear indication that one of the banking giant's largest investors wants solid results this year, according to a transcript of an interview that aired Thursday on Fox Business News.

"I told him that clearly the market gave you two years leeway, but I think now it's time to deliver," Alwaleed said. "And 2010 is really for him is year to make it or break it, and he has to deliver. "

Alwaleed raised his stake in Citigroup to 5 percent in late 2008 from less than 4 percent in a move that came as the company was facing a possible collapse. Kingdom Holding says Alwaleed is the single largest shareholder in Citigroup.

So News Corp is buying some of his. He already owns a bunch of Citi...and you think banks will get hit by taxes over bonuses I bet too....:S

but still faces a new fee to be levied on banks by the Obama administration to recoup $120 billion in taxpayer money used to support faltering companies.

Alwaleed said he was opposed to the move, arguing that "I believe taxing the banks right now is not the right time at all."

...and then this...

In 2008, the two companies teamed up to bring Fox Movies to the Arab world and then last year, Rotana and Fox International Channels signed a multi-year output deal with The Walt Disney Co. to provide a range of programing to viewers in the Middle East, according to the statement by Kingdom Holding.

Who does Disney own??

Where you watch your news indeed....
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

and you think that murdoch has the moral to turn down some serious cash?

Fascinating. I would never have considered using "Murdoch" and "moral" in the same sentence.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"All that is required for Evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

When extremests and fundamentalests hijack an idea or religion, the mainstream should point them out and shout, "Blaspheamer!!" The deafening silence of mainstream Islam is puzzeling just as the mainstream West. Osama bin Ladin and Pat Robertson are "Brothers of Different Mothers." There's really not that much difference in what they say. Take what each one says and swap the proper nouns around and each one sounds just like the other. They each should be called Blaspheamer. This is more important than just pointing out that the emporer has no clothes. They should be denounced and ridiculed and then ignored.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I think Paul's point is that those who bankroll the folks killing our soldiers aren't really allies and maybe shouldn't be major stockholders in our news sources.

This would assume Saudi king sponsors terrorists.

Maybe not the "king" himself, but money certainly has been traced from members of the "royal" family to Al Qaeda.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Maybe not the "king" himself, but money certainly has been traced from members of the "royal" family to Al Qaeda.

They have been the prime motivators for 200 years in using religion to foster their goals of domination over the area surrounding their ancestral land. They are the ones who control the haj to Mecca and Medina.

The wealth brought about by the oil has been used to make the Saudi version of Islam the "Gold Standard" with all that entails to label anyone who does not follow their particular version as Kafir.

They have been the prime motivators for 200 years in using religion to foster their goals of domination over the area surrounding their ancestral land. They are the ones who control the haj to Mecca and Medina.
The wealth brought about by the oil has been used to make the Saudi version of Islam the "Gold Standard" with all that entails to label anyone who does not follow their particular version as Kafir.

And were they not Saudi Arabia and the ones that control the oil . . . they wouldn't be tolerated for their bullshit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And were they not Saudi Arabia and the ones that control the oil . . . they wouldn't be tolerated for their bullshit.

George and Dick should have invaded The Kingdom of Saud.. if they really wanted to go after the backers of this crap. But then those checks would have stopped rolling in to their family accounts.

No government is perfect either, and probably in every government/dictatorship/monarchy there is someone financing some disgusting activities. So the question is whether it is better to have them as ally or as enemy?

No government is perfect either, and probably in every government/dictatorship/monarchy there is someone financing some disgusting activities. So the question is whether it is better to have them as ally or as enemy?

Is an enemy that works at great pretence of being an ally really a trustworthy ally?

Is an enemy that works at great pretence of being an ally really a trustworthy ally?

As czar Peter the First said back in 16xx, "Russia has only two true allies - its Army and its Navy". Nothing really changed after that, and this is true for most (but not all) countries.

I personally believe that a politician who is trustworthy and/or honest is not really qualified for the job in modern world. There is nothing trustworthy in politics. Everyone cheats everyone to gain something from their country - and this is exactly what the government should do.

In addition... According with a documentary I’ve seen recently the Saudis (including the royal family) are financing the printing of their own version of the Koran. This version encourages holly war (jihad). It’s printed and distributed many different languages on a very large scale. This “Saudi interpretation” of the Koran uses words like “explosives”, “tanks”, “guns”, and etc. Words what did not exist 1300 years ago when Islam was born.
The Koran has many different versions and even more interpretations, just like the Bible.
...and as we see every version finds plety of followers.

In addition... According with a documentary I’ve seen recently the Saudis (including the royal family) are financing the printing of their own version of the Koran. This version encourages holly war (jihad). It’s printed and distributed many different languages on a very large scale. This “Saudi interpretation” of the Koran uses words like “explosives”, “tanks”, “guns”, and etc. Words what did not exist 1300 years ago when Islam was born.

And the PNAC 'and' the Saudies rub thier hands together...

Each comlicit on both sides.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Yep, FYI i and all other Sheya muslims are viwed in the same manner by them.

Yet there are best buds how many of the 9-11 hijaker were from there again?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Yep, FYI i and all other Sheya muslims are viwed in the same manner by them.

Yet there are best buds how many of the 9-11 hijaker were from there again?

You know the answer for that and I have never claimed they were,

How many of the Hezbollah murders of Americans are supported by Iran??

I was not saying that you did. I was agreeing with you. Its just very frustarting to see sudia get a pass,

Unfortunately the Iranian government is not a representation of the people of Iran. They do not have a government of the people for the people.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I was not saying that you did. I was agreeing with you. Its just very frustarting to see sudia get a pass,

Unfortunately the Iranian government is not a representation of the people of Iran. They do not have a government of the people for the people.

Neither do we:S